Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2011, 03:08 AM   #21
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
I would like to see him play a year in the AHL on the first line as opposed to playing on our 3-4 lines next year. Let him learn the pro game, understand what it takes to be an everyday professional, and then make the big club. That being said, if he has a great training camp next year and begins on the first 2 lines, then keep him up.
Like I said, as far as I know he can't play in the AHL next year. It's either the NHL or the WHL. There are exceptions but I don't believe any of them apply to Bartschi.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #22
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
(no NHL player has their name spelled with any accent marks).
I've never understood this. Why not put them on? The accent mark are just as important for the spelling of their names as the letters themselves are.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #23
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I see this in two ways. 1) It is good that he is continuing to rape the WHL, should put up 100+ easily this year, but 2) he is doing this against MUCH MUCH weaker competition.

It's like why Edmonton didn't send Hall down when they drafted him, because he was too dominate against players his own age that it would have done him no good (although he had 3 junior years I believe, this is Baertschi's 2nd).

I think he'll make the club coming out of next year as it would be ideal to put him in the AHL for a season, but since he won't be eligible, putting him in the WHL again wouldn't be worth it (if he continues to progress). Plus the fact that we have like 10 contracts coming off the books next year.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #24
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Plus the fact that we have like 10 contracts coming off the books next year.
This. If you put him in Hagman's spot next year, you save around $2 MM in cap space, plus you can maybe flip Hagman at the deadline for a pick.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #25
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
This. If you put him in Hagman's spot next year, you save around $2 MM in cap space, plus you can maybe flip Hagman at the deadline for a pick.
Tanguay and Glencross as #1 and #3 LWers.

If Sven is slotted in as the middle man....where does that leave Parise
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #26
littlereddevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Like I said, as far as I know he can't play in the AHL next year. It's either the NHL or the WHL. There are exceptions but I don't believe any of them apply to Bartschi.
Nevermind. Disregard my post.
littlereddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #27
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He turns 20 in October, so maybe he can play in the AHL?
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:07 AM   #28
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
He turns 20 in October, so maybe he can play in the AHL?
That's one of the exceptions I thought of too, but I haven't heard of that applying before. Other exceptions are for players who don't come from the CHL and players that have already played 4 seasons in the CHL.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #29
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
It's like why Edmonton didn't send Hall down when they drafted him, because he was too dominate against players his own age that it would have done him no good (although he had 3 junior years I believe, this is Baertschi's 2nd).
Hall was a huge star on a back to back Memorial Cup winning team, while Baertschi was a 2nd liner on a very good WHL team. I think there is some value in giving him the opportunity to be a star at a level where he can produce a lot of points. Let him have that experience of being the go-to-guy that other teams focus on, so that when he makes the Flames he will have been through something like it before.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #30
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
That's one of the exceptions I thought of too, but I haven't heard of that applying before. Other exceptions are for players who don't come from the CHL and players that have already played 4 seasons in the CHL.
If Calgary really wanted him in the AHL next year they could do it. I'll use his teammate from last year as an example. Taylor Aronson who is only 19 is in the AHL with Milwaukee. He doesn't turn 20 until the end of these year and only played two full seasons in the WHL with Portland.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #31
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

To answer everyone's confusion. The AHL website, in the FAQ section, says:

Quote:
What is the minimum age for an AHL player?

Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.
Therefore, Sven could play in the AHL next season. I honestly don't think it would hurt or hinder his development no matter what league he plays in.

If this season he's a top 5 point-getter in the WHL, then I don't think it would hurt anything to put him in the AHL.

Everyone has to keep in mind, the Heat don't have Playfair anymore. His development and psyche won't be hurt by playing the AHL. The Heat are a new organization per say. There's a sense of optimism among the players. It's not all doom and gloom.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #32
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
If Calgary really wanted him in the AHL next year they could do it. I'll use his teammate from last year as an example. Taylor Aronson who is only 19 is in the AHL with Milwaukee. He doesn't turn 20 until the end of these year and only played two full seasons in the WHL with Portland.
I think you are right, he can play in the AHL next year. I guess draft age (Sept. 15 cut off) isn't the same as birth age (Dec.31) in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsgirl
Since this question seems to come up over and over again:

There is a private agreement in place between the NHL and the CHL that governs when a player coming from the CHL can play in the AHL. A player from the CHL has to either turn 20 by December 31st of the season (ie a player born in 1987 can start playing in the 2007-08 season, a player born in 1988 can start playing in the 2008-09 season etc.) OR have completed 4 seasons of junior eligibility. This agreement also covers European players if they are drafted out of the CHL (Examples would be players like Petr Vrana and Ivan Vishnevskiy). Also - CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their junior season is over (either by virtue of their team junior not making the playoffs or being eliminated from the playoffs) even if they don't yet meet the age or eligibility criteria listed above.

College players and European players (provided they are drafted out of Europe--even if they later play in the CHL) are not covered by this agreement. They only have to abide by the AHL's age requirement, which is that a player has to turn 18 by September 15 of any given season to be eligible to play. While you won't see many 18-year olds in the AHL, some European players have played at that age (e.g. Niklas Bergfors)
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=417096
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #33
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
To answer everyone's confusion. The AHL website, in the FAQ section, says:

Therefore, Sven could play in the AHL next season. I honestly don't think it would hurt or hinder his development no matter what league he plays in.

If this season he's a top 5 point-getter in the WHL, then I don't think it would hurt anything to put him in the AHL.

Everyone has to keep in mind, the Heat don't have Playfair anymore. His development and psyche won't be hurt by playing the AHL. The Heat are a new organization per say. There's a sense of optimism among the players. It's not all doom and gloom.
That doesn't take into account the deal the AHL-NHL has with the CHL that limits CHL players playing in the AHL until they reach 20 years old or complete 4 years of junior (some players start in junior at 15 so they can play in the AHL at 19, Rico Fata is an example).

Sven will be 20 before the end of next year, so he should be able to play in the AHL though.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #34
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

nm
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #35
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

The only issue I would have with playing him in the AHL a year early is that I'm pretty sure that it would burn a year of his ELC... It may be better to just have him play the extra year of junior, and then have an extra year on his contract when he goes pro. But if its better for his development then it isn't really an issue.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #36
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Our saviour is progressing nicely.
Whoever created the backlund savior pic should get working on bartschi's!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #37
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Bartschi is right up at the top of the WHL in terms of PPG. I really hope he can keep this up. Considering this is only his second season in the WHL, it makes it even more impressive.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 AM   #38
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Whoever created the backlund savior pic should get working on bartschi's!
Man, everyone knows the savior will forever be Jamie Lundmark

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #39
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like he'll be in town with the Winter Hawks tonight (and to get his hip looked at by the Flames medical staff) but he won't be playing against the Hitmen: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...344/story.html

Too bad, but no point in rushing back and risking more injury.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #40
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was sitting in front of him in the 200's but he was with two buds on his team so I didn't wish him well or anything.
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote