Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2023, 03:46 PM   #3721
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

A big run on wiper blades at the Parts Source today...
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:46 PM   #3722
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
New rule: nobody is allowed to bitch about getting into a cold car if they don't bother spending the 1% of their car's value to buy a remote starter. It's 2023. You literally never have to get into a cold car if you don't want to.
There is no way a remote starter is 1% of a vehicle's value unless we're talking about something new that probably already has a connected vehicle app anyway. No vehicle worth $40k today is gonna make do with a $400 remote starter kit. The immobilizer bypass module and the install is gonna put it into the $1k+ range, and some of them require sacrificing a key (which if you have to buy a spare can itself be $200-$600).

My winter runabout is worth like $12k and a remote starter with the install and bypass module would be closer to $1,500.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:53 PM   #3723
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
There is no way a remote starter is 1% of a vehicle's value unless we're talking about something new that probably already has a connected vehicle app anyway. No vehicle worth $40k today is gonna make do with a $400 remote starter kit. The immobilizer bypass module and the install is gonna put it into the $1k+ range, and some of them require sacrificing a key (which if you have to buy a spare can itself be $200-$600).

My winter runabout is worth like $12k and a remote starter with the install and bypass module would be closer to $1,500.
Okay, well whatever. The point remains. If you can afford a reasonable car you can afford a remote starter. Or maybe you can't. Either way, this is Calgary. If you hate getting into a cold car then put in a remote starter or don't whine. It's not rocket science.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:56 PM   #3724
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If I have a detached (unheated) garage, can I start the car for 5-10 minutes with just the human door to the garage open? Don't want to leave the big door open due to the alley pirates. I don't want to get CO poisoning and don't think I would but I can't quite convince myself too.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:01 PM   #3725
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Okay, well whatever. The point remains. If you can afford a reasonable car you can afford a remote starter. Or maybe you can't. Either way, this is Calgary. If you hate getting into a cold car then put in a remote starter or don't whine. It's not rocket science.
I was told to never put a car starter in a german car? Was Bill Bumface wrong?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:05 PM   #3726
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
If I have a detached (unheated) garage, can I start the car for 5-10 minutes with just the human door to the garage open? Don't want to leave the big door open due to the alley pirates. I don't want to get CO poisoning and don't think I would but I can't quite convince myself too.
You can, but I genuinely think you're overthinking the risk -- you can let the vehicle run in the garage just fine irrespective of the man door being open, and as soon as you walk into the garage you open the overhead door, get in the vehicle, and die go.

Also, you're not supposed to just let the vehicle idle for like 10 minutes to heat up. Ideally, you get in and start driving immediately to bring the vehicle up to operating temperature as quickly as possible. I remember my BMW E39 owner's manual even explicitly called this out.

My 'comfort' solution for my unheated garage was this:
1x Kasa Wi-Fi Smart Plug [link]
1x MasterCraft Space Heater [link]

Sit the space heater in the rear of the SUV set to on and full heat, and set the WiFi smart-switch to turn on 3 hours before I planned on getting into the vehicle. Once I get into the garage, turn off the smart switch and pull the heater out of the vehicle. Nice and toasty inside, vehicle warms up properly when you begin driving.

This assumes you can get your home WiFi in your garage -- I could because my garage used a mesh AP to connect with the home network.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:05 PM   #3727
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I was told to never put a car starter in a german car? Was Bill Bumface wrong?
I put one in my Mercedes. I put one in my old Passat. It's fine...not sure why he'd say you can't.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:18 PM   #3728
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
You can, but I genuinely think you're overthinking the risk -- you can let the vehicle run in the garage just fine irrespective of the man door being open, and as soon as you walk into the garage you open the overhead door, get in the vehicle, and die go.

Also, you're not supposed to just let the vehicle idle for like 10 minutes to heat up. Ideally, you get in and start driving immediately to bring the vehicle up to operating temperature as quickly as possible. I remember my BMW E39 owner's manual even explicitly called this out.

My 'comfort' solution for my unheated garage was this:
1x Kasa Wi-Fi Smart Plug [link]
1x MasterCraft Space Heater [link]

Sit the space heater in the rear of the SUV set to on and full heat, and set the WiFi smart-switch to turn on 3 hours before I planned on getting into the vehicle. Once I get into the garage, turn off the smart switch and pull the heater out of the vehicle. Nice and toasty inside, vehicle warms up properly when you begin driving.

This assumes you can get your home WiFi in your garage -- I could because my garage used a mesh AP to connect with the home network.
You don’t have to have wifi, and there are all kinds of timer plugs that will work just fine.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:54 PM   #3729
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what are the roads like
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:05 PM   #3730
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Much worse than i thought they'd be....that initial snow melted right away as expected, but then just re-froze before it evaporated.

Its really icy.
Old 10-23-2023, 09:05 PM   #3731
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
They were great, perfect for crashing into things
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EverfresH15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2023, 09:12 PM   #3732
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pulled this off of Reddit. I presume it would have been from around rush hour. Several of my friends reported taking ~2 hours to get home on a usual 30 minute drive

Spoiler!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2023, 09:31 PM   #3733
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ended up being out in this mess despite our best efforts. Highways to the south and west of the city are about as bad as they get. Covered with snow and a nice layer of ice underneath. The blowing snow is making visibility terrible. Please stay home if you can.

And don’t be me…completely forgot to put my snow brush in the truck!
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2023, 09:32 PM   #3734
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Predictions for the commute tomorrow morning? I should go into the office but I’d prefer to work from home
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:42 PM   #3735
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a stupid in person training first thing in the morning that for some unknown reason is not being offered virtually as well. I already sent my boss a note that I won’t be risking the trek in.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 10:22 PM   #3736
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The grocery store has heated garages?
You guys still go inside the grocery store?

Rookies
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 10:50 PM   #3737
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I really don't want to drive in at all.

I can get to my destination fine. It's the sharing the road with skittish drivers who haven't adjusted to winter conditions yet part.

I don't trust people to drive in a straight line without slamming on the breaks because they're on a slope a suspect they're driving on ice.

What people don't seem to get is that coasting without sudden jerks or movements is how you make the drive much, much easier.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 11:08 PM   #3738
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually don't mind this weather. There really isn't that much snow so far, and it's not THAT cold. I also sleep wayyyyy better in these types of temperatures.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 11:16 PM   #3739
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get that it's not economical to put half decent tires on the buses but man it never gets old seeing them all stranded on anything resembling an incline as soon as a snowflake falls.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 12:57 AM   #3740
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The grocery store has heated garages?
Save on Foods at University District has underground parking. Actually that entire shopping complex has underground parking. From Save on to Staples. It's quite massive.