Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2023, 02:27 AM   #3621
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raining so hard can't even see driving, wipers not even close to keeping up
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:31 AM   #3622
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I just drove from Cochrane to Deer Run to DT. That was ####ing wild. First time in my life I’ve used the max speed wiper setting. It’s biblical out there.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:52 AM   #3623
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

This will really spruce up our decaying lawns.

June called, it wants its rain back.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 07:36 AM   #3624
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I just drove from Cochrane to Deer Run to DT. That was ####ing wild. First time in my life I’ve used the max speed wiper setting. It’s biblical out there.
Really? Like, ever? I'm sure I use it at least once a year, and I don't even drive much.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 07:42 AM   #3625
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the ever loving #### was that last night?? Probably a top 3 thunderstorm I've ever heard in my life. One strike was so close and shook the entire house. Cat freaking out. Wife freaking out. No sleep. Wild!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 07:46 AM   #3626
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
What the ever loving #### was that last night?? Probably a top 3 thunderstorm I've ever heard in my life. One strike was so close and shook the entire house. Cat freaking out. Wife freaking out. No sleep. Wild!
Lol! My wife and I were sitting in the hot tub enjoying the light show until one strike got really, REALLY close...

"Hmmm....we should go in now."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2023, 08:08 AM   #3627
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It was awesome. I love midnight storms like that. My trees and grass are very happy today!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:09 AM   #3628
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe someone can explain how it's smokier after the rain than it was before. I thought the rain would help...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:10 AM   #3629
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Really? Like, ever? I'm sure I use it at least once a year, and I don't even drive much.
To each his own. I’m sure some people need the max setting in much milder conditions than we saw yesterday. But I only turn mine on in the most extreme conditions because most of the time I find the conditions don’t need it. I can’t remember the last time I was driving in such extreme rain like last night for such an extended period of time.

Even then I only turned it on max for a few minutes when the rain was at its hardest. The rest of the drive only needed regular speed.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:20 AM   #3630
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Maybe someone can explain how it's smokier after the rain than it was before. I thought the rain would help...
https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

You can see all the smoke from up north got blown directly south. I think we've been pretty fortunate with wind this summer, as we have all these fires around, but the smoke has not been blowing our way.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:24 AM   #3631
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Can you explain why you think rain would decrease smoke?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:27 AM   #3632
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those gusts of winds brought in the smoke the rain isn't going to make it to away.

Really strange with the heavy rain and smoke smell.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:44 AM   #3633
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Ash is hygroscopic...?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:44 AM   #3634
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Because it would, like, wash it down. The water would grab the smoke and ashes or whatever, drop them to the ground, and then they'd be gone. That's how I picture it in my head as well and it always surprises me it doesn't work like that.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2023, 08:53 AM   #3635
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was a pretty sweet storm. I love the early, long distance thunder that goes on for 5 or more seconds. It sounds awesome. We had a strike that sounded like it was within a couple blocks of our house as well, maybe even on our street. It really lit everything up and the sound and shockwave was immense.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:56 AM   #3636
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nose Creek looked pretty bloated today and a bunch of storm water holding ponds look like lakes.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:00 AM   #3637
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I assume everyone living up in the Nose Hill / Symons Valley area slept well last night?

I've never heard it rain so hard for so long, probably lost over an hour of sleep to the storm., and wish I had recorded it.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:03 AM   #3638
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Because it would, like, wash it down. The water would grab the smoke and ashes or whatever, drop them to the ground, and then they'd be gone. That's how I picture it in my head as well and it always surprises me it doesn't work like that.

Has to be true to some degree based on the ash deposits the rains been leaving on my windows and deck glass. Rather than the rain making clean spots on dirty windows, is putting dirty spots on clean windows. Don’t recall this in previous smoke seasons.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:05 AM   #3639
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
After we had rain on that really smokey day a couple weeks ago, cars were spattered in a pasty grey film. I assumed that was due to the smoke/ash being carried down.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:07 AM   #3640
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I assume everyone living up in the Nose Hill / Symons Valley area slept well last night?

I've never heard it rain so hard for so long, probably lost over an hour of sleep to the storm., and wish I had recorded it.

I don’t mind the sound of the hard rain, but the dripping onto the window sills makes me crazy. I kept thinking, “is that coming from inside the house?”, so I’d keep checking to make sure.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote