Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #3621
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Another incident of a police vehicle driving into people, this time in Detroit.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1277430912653950976

I feel like some of these need context, too. It's all well and good to automatically blame the cops, but what was he doing? Was he being blocked from getting to a call where, literally, someone's life could be in danger?

To me, an emergency vehicle with lights and sirens activated means get the eff out of the way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #3622
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Was he being blocked from getting to a call where, literally, someone's life could be in danger?
Yeah, cause running over a bunch of people won't put their lives at risk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #3623
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Yeah, cause running over a bunch of people won't put their lives at risk.
I'd argue they put their lives at risk.

If your mom was being beaten and robbed, it's reasonable to you that she'll just have to hang on for a few more minutes? Simple collateral damage for the greater good?

Last edited by schteve_d; 06-29-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:36 PM   #3624
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd argue they put their lives at risk.

If your mom was being beaten and robbed, it's reasonable to you that she'll just have to hang on for a few more minutes? Simple collateral damage for the greater good?
You talk about collateral damage while condoning driving over a bunch of teens like it's normal. #### that.

Better chance that the pig heard there was a black man acting suspicious and was hoping to get there before his brothers to shoot him than saving our moms. Either way, don't ####ing drive over people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #3625
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You talk about collateral damage while condoning driving over a bunch of teens like it's normal. #### that.

Better chance that the pig heard there was a black man acting suspicious and was hoping to get there before his brothers to shoot him than saving our moms. Either way, don't ####ing drive over people.
Very good.

Don't stand in a roadway blocking emergency vehicles. That is a simple way to not get run over. I'm all for protesting, but there are limits.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #3626
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I agree context is always good.

However, I can't imagine a context where you drive with someone on your hood, stop, and without giving the person on your hood time to get out of the way you floor it and speed away with them on your hood again.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #3627
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Very good.

Don't stand in a roadway blocking emergency vehicles. That is a simple way to not get run over. I'm all for protesting, but there are limits.
Ah, are you sad I'm insulting the thug that drove over a dozen people? He's a terrorist thug inciting violence and nothing else. If you don't blame him for his actions, he'll be happy to do it again and again and again, and each time he drives over another teen you'll be telling us it's their fault. Maybe you should pay attention to why people are protesting before blaming them for getting ran over?

And the police were there to stop a peaceful protest, they weren't going to be called away for other jobs. $10 bucks that this will be brushed away with the police saying he feared for his safety and having to gun out of the crowd...that he inched himself into. And bootlickers will be ready to slurp it up.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 06-29-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #3628
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ah, are you sad I'm insulting the thug that drove over a dozen people?
I'm not sad at all.

Quote:
He's a terrorist thug inciting violence and nothing else.
Wow, that is quite the take from a few second video with no context.

Quote:
If you don't blame him for his actions, he'll be happy to do it again and again and again, and each time he drives over another teen you'll be telling us it's their fault. Maybe you should pay attention to why people are protesting before blaming them for getting ran over?
I'm paying plenty of attention, thank-you. I fully support what is happening. These changes are long overdue, and while it will take many years for things to be "fixed", we are definitely heading in the right direction and it's about time. I will not however support a lawless society where teens think it's ok to block the police from doing their jobs. There still needs to be order, like it or not. He didn't drive up on the sidewalk and mow down innocents. You have no idea where he was going or how urgent it was. Neither do I, of course, but I brought up a hypothetical "what if". I think you need to hop off your high horse and re-think the manner in which we want change.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #3629
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

The driver of that vehicle clearly crossed a line in my opinion. But I agree, with no context provided I don’t understand the situation, or why people surrounded an occupied emergency vehicle.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #3630
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
And the police were there to stop a peaceful protest, they weren't going to be called away for other jobs. $10 bucks that this will be brushed away with the police saying he feared for his safety and having to gun out of the crowd...that he inched himself into. And bootlickers will be ready to slurp it up.
How do you know this?
Old 06-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #3631
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, that is quite the take from a few second video with no context.
How? Multiple video of a vehicle purposely being driven into the crowd, how is that anything but terrorism?
Quote:
I will not however support a lawless society where teens think it's ok to block the police from doing their jobs.
Lol. So you support protesting the police...unless the police come to stop you from protesting. Well, hmm, yeah can't see how that won't be effective.

Quote:
He didn't drive up on the sidewalk and mow down innocents. You have no idea where he was going or how urgent it was. Neither do I, of course, but I brought up a hypothetical "what if". I think you need to hop off your high horse and re-think the manner in which we want change.
If you don't want to be boxed in by peaceful protesters, don't move your vehicle into peaceful protesters. They knew where they were, they went to stop them, nothing else.

It doesn't matter where he was going or what the call was (hint: there was no call, otherwise any of the vehicles behind him would have turned around safely). He was in a situation where he put people willfully in danger and than exploited it and will use him fearing for his safety as cover for driving over a bunch of otherwise peaceful teens. And you'll support him for it, and then wonder why the peaceful protesters get angry.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:55 PM   #3632
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My cop training would involve turning on your window washers and give them a squirt. No one likes to get wet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #3633
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If you don't want to be boxed in by peaceful protesters, don't move your vehicle into peaceful protesters. They knew where they were, they went to stop them, nothing else.

It doesn't matter where he was going or what the call was (hint: there was no call, otherwise any of the vehicles behind him would have turned around safely). He was in a situation where he put people willfully in danger and than exploited it and will use him fearing for his safety as cover for driving over a bunch of otherwise peaceful teens. And you'll support him for it, and then wonder why the peaceful protesters get angry.

You are one smart cookie! You "know" a lot of things about this video!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #3634
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are one smart cookie! You "know" a lot of things about this video!
What do you disagree about? There's multiple videos, there's no context left required if you search for it. I can fill you in, but let's face it, you don't care. You'll bendover backwards to excuse him trying to kill a bunch of teens.

EDIT: Oh look, they've already brought up the "feared for their life" defense, anyone want to pay me $10?
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...od/3276964001/

Quote:
"What's in the officer's mind ... of course in their mind... they believe they could be shot," Craig said at the press conference. "Because of that, they had to take forth evasive action."
So, no he wasn't there trying to save my mommy afterall. He heard some imaginary shots and that's good enough reason to try and kill a bunch of people.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 06-29-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #3635
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
What do you disagree about? There's multiple videos, there's no context left required if you search for it. I can fill you in, but let's face it, you don't care. You'll bendover backwards to excuse him trying to kill a bunch of teens.

EDIT: Oh look, they've already brought up the "feared for their life" defense, anyone want to pay me $10?
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...od/3276964001/

So, no he wasn't there trying to save my mommy afterall. He heard some imaginary shots and that's good enough reason to try and kill a bunch of people.
I can’t find a different video. Mind sharing?
Old 06-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #3636
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I can’t find a different video. Mind sharing?
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...es/3278190001/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...uv-protesters/

https://twitter.com/EvanPetzold/stat...-protesters%2F

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...st/3275899001/

Lots of videos and articles on it.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #3637
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I assume all these super smart teens, who aren't smart enough not to play in traffic, also knew that he had nowhere to go?

It says the rear window was "busted out". Hard to tell in the video, but in that chaotic scene, once the rear window blows out, I can see thinking that you may be taking shots.

All I said to start with is that I can't make up my mind from that short video what actually happened or was happening. My mind is open and possibly the police were in the wrong. Your mind is made up from that short video that "the pigs" are at fault regardless of context. Closed-minded much?

I don't excuse all police by any means and have seen many videos where the police seem to be clearly at fault. This isn't one of those to me.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #3638
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I assume all these super smart teens, who aren't smart enough not to play in traffic, also knew that he had nowhere to go?
Yes, because it's literally one of the many police SUV that was 'chaperoning' them on their peaceful march. Until the police decided they didn't like the direction they were heading...
Quote:
It says the rear window was "busted out". Hard to tell in the video, but in that chaotic scene, once the rear window blows out, I can see thinking that you may be taking shots.
Lol. Of course. And when the next Tamir Rice is killed, you'll tell us why the police were right to fear for their safety at that time too.
Quote:
All I said to start with is that I can't make up my mind from that short video what actually happened or was happening. My mind is open and possibly the police were in the wrong. Your mind is made up from that short video that "the pigs" are at fault regardless of context. Closed-minded much?
Honestly, I don't give two ####s what the pig was up to. He could have been on a call to save my mom, he could have actually been shot at, but I would never condone him driving through innocent teens. If he could have just ran over the two or three who were on his hood, maybe it's difference, but he drove through a plethora that were just peacefully demonstrating making him a ####ing terrorist.
Quote:
I don't excuse all police by any means and have seen many videos where the police seem to be clearly at fault. This isn't one of those to me.
If police driving through a bunch of teens isn't one, there isn't going to be many.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #3639
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Honestly, I don't give two ####s what the pig was up to
This tells me everything I need to know about you.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #3640
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This tells me everything I need to know about you.
I hope it does. And you trying to excuse this pig driving through teens peacefully protesting says all we need to know about you too.
Closed Thread