Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2022, 03:45 PM   #3521
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...o-Turkish_wars

First Russo-Turkish War 1568–1570
Second Russo-Turkish War 1676–1681
Third Russo-Turkish War 1686–1700
Fourth Russo-Turkish War 1710–1711
Fifth Russo-Turkish War 1735–1739
Sixth Russo-Turkish War 1768–1774
Seventh Russo-Turkish War 1787–1792
Eighth Russo-Turkish War 1806–1812
Ninth Russo-Turkish War 1828–1829
Crimean War 1853–1856
Tenth Russo-Turkish War 1877–1878
World War I 1914–1918

When you are in double digits of wars called by your countries names you have bad blood.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 03:47 PM   #3522
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The dillema for the US/west is simple, Putin will likely end up being deposed and killed if he loses the war and he knows it, so for him personally that means nukes are not off the table, a man that knows he will be dragged kicking and screaming out of his house and strung up on a lamppost by an angry mob isnt a rational player in any normal sense even if he isnt technically insane.

Also beyond this it is vital not to prove his own rational for the war, the reality is most Russians dont disapprove of the war, they do see Ukraine as part of Russia, if the war had worked, a quick bloodless takeover they would have approved, for Russia to disapprove it needs to be a bloody expensive mess for Russia with no sense that they are defending themselves from the west, if we start being seen to attack Russia then the blood and expense becomes worthwhile in Russians eyes
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #3523
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russia and Turkey were fighting a pseudo war against each other in Syria this past decade too. They were supporting opposing rebel factions.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 04:01 PM   #3524
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
This has never been tested but I think your assumption is wrong. You attack one NATO country you're attacking them all, USA included.
I believe our involvement in Afghanistan was triggered by the USA being attacked on 9/11.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 04:02 PM   #3525
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I really do not know what you are confused about. The USA contributing fighter jets - either directly or indirectly - is a clear provocation to Russia and it's totally understandable why they wouldn't want to take that step to escalate tensions beyond where they already are. In terms of defending NATO, they've been very clear and consistent: you don't attack NATO. Well, NATO hasn't been attacked.

It's as if you've somehow come to think that "Russia doing horrible things and committing war crimes" must be something that results in NATO going in and stopping them from doing those things. This fundamentally misunderstands the purpose of NATO. NATO is a defensive military pact. It is not a global police organization. It does not prevent, or respond to, war crimes. It does not keep the peace or intervene to stop conflicts once they've started. It's essentially a promise that if you attack someone in NATO, you will be vaporized, potentially along with the rest of humanity... so don't do it.

And, since vaporizing all of humanity is a very big thing to threaten, the "trip wire" that causes that result needs to be very clear and very simple: do not attack NATO countries. There's no "well, maybe if you attack someone who isn't in NATO we'll still respond, but maybe not, and maybe if you commit war crimes, and they're bad enough, and it's all over the news, then we'll intervene". No. It's simple: we only act if you attack us.

So again - with all of that in mind - what exactly is it about NATO's behaviour to date that you find confusing?
Not the poster you are replying to, but I want to chime in.

Here is what is confusing to me, and what Kasparov posed the other day during a talk. How does anything you said compute if you suppose that russia does attack a NATO country?

What does NATO do then? Because the fear of a nuclear war is precisely the same as it is if NATO were to intervene now, defending a non-NATO country.

This is the confusing part. It's not like when a NATO member is attacked, the aggressor's nuclear arsenal disappears. Therefore, the distinction between defending a NATO member or a non NATO member looks arbitrary.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:05 PM   #3526
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
Not the poster you are replying to, but I want to chime in.

Here is what is confusing to me, and what Kasparov posed the other day during a talk. How does anything you said compute if you suppose that russia does attack a NATO country?

What does NATO do then? Because the fear of a nuclear war is precisely the same as it is if NATO were to intervene now, defending a non-NATO country.

This is the confusing part. It's not like when a NATO member is attacked, the aggressor's nuclear arsenal disappears. Therefore, the distinction between defending a NATO member or a non NATO member looks arbitrary.
The distinction is that NATO is a DEFENSIVE military organization with clear protocols, namely that it doesn't act unless one of its member countries is attacked. NATO does not otherwise intervene, police, etc for non-NATO countries.

NATO not intervening for a non-NATO member conflict is not arbitrary; it is the exact function of NATO.

Last edited by you&me; 03-09-2022 at 04:07 PM.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:06 PM   #3527
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
The distinction is that NATO is a DEFENSIVE military organization with clear protocols, namely that it doesn't act unless one of its member countries is attacked.
The question remains: what does it do if one of its members is attacked?
Old 03-09-2022, 04:08 PM   #3528
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1501679182119682048
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:10 PM   #3529
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
In the case of Putin's Russia, I hope we don't find out.

It appears that's what NATO members are trying to avoid at this point, hence their level of (in)action so far in Ukraine.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:10 PM   #3530
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interviews with Chinese citizens on the situation in Ukraine. Variety of opinions.

activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 04:13 PM   #3531
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
In the case of Putin's Russia, I hope we don't find out.

It appears that's what NATO members are trying to avoid at this point, hence their level of (in)action so far in Ukraine.
It will only embolden him. He will realize that to NATO it will not matter if it's Ukraine, or Poland, or Hungary, or the Baltics. Because the fear of nuclear war will persist.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:15 PM   #3532
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
The distinction is that NATO is a DEFENSIVE military organization with clear protocols, namely that it doesn't act unless one of its member countries is attacked. NATO does not otherwise intervene, police, etc for non-NATO countries.

NATO not intervening for a non-NATO member conflict is not arbitrary; it is the exact function of NATO.
This is objectively false.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 04:16 PM   #3533
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Depends on the scenario. You can be sure there are hundreds of plans at the ready for hundreds of eventualities. Plans for hostile flights over Estonia, hostile ships operating in the Baltic, armoured attacks into Poland, etc., with each plan tailored to the scope and nature of the threat. The NATO Reaction Force (40k strong) likely figures prominently in most of them. What do you think the thousands of people who work in NATO have been doing for the last 60 years?

I genuinely don’t understand why anyone thinks NATO has any more responsibility to defend Ukraine than they do Georgia or Azerbaijan.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-09-2022 at 04:25 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 04:18 PM   #3534
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
NHere is what is confusing to me, and what Kasparov posed the other day during a talk. How does anything you said compute if you suppose that russia does attack a NATO country?
Is it the talk with Sam Harris? If you watched that I would be interested to hear how it went... one thing you have to understand about Kasparov is that he is pretty hawkish, and proceeds from the view that under no circumstances will Russia actually launch a strategic nuke, because the other people in Putin's chain of command won't allow it - they'd stop him if he tried. That's quite an assumption. Maybe he's right, but I'm not as convinced as he seems to be.
Quote:
Then you have to respond with overwhelming force, using the same means that are used - for example, if Russia were to invade Poland, NATO allied forces would deploy overwhelming military assets to repel that invasion. If Russia were to deploy tactical nuclear weapons against Poland, NATO would do likewise against Russia... And anything above that point, we're then talking about first strikes to attempt to disable Russian nuclear capabilities and probably billions of people dead.

That's my sense of the way it would play out, anyway. The first couple of stages there at least give sanity some time to prevail, and the people around the aggressor (Putin or whoever) to seize control and prevent the apocalypse switch from being flipped.
Quote:
I don't think that's true at all. There is simply an understanding here about when military assets will be used - everyone, including Putin, gets that an attack on a NATO country will gain you nothing and cause considerable pain and suffering for you and your military. It creates a significantly higher risk of a world-ending event. That understanding does not exist for non-NATO countries, which is why Ukraine is being invaded right now and Lithuania isn't.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:23 PM   #3535
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

MOD map updates for the day. Minimal movement across the board with Russian's increasingly bogged down with heavy fighting and inability to gain any air superiority. Only exception is North of Kyiv where Russia's Western MD Group appears to have captured and held the highway south of Kozelets to the capital. Towns like Nizhyn remain encircled and the Western MD grouping appears to have held the ground they gained yesterday north of Luhansk.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1501530196926767107
https://twitter.com/user/status/1501438467103989762

Larger map

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_R...ion_of_Ukraine
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 04:24 PM   #3536
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would assume it would be the bare minimum action needed to repel the attack, while constantly urging the attacker to withdraw and deescalate.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:31 PM   #3537
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...o-Turkish_wars

First Russo-Turkish War 1568–1570
Second Russo-Turkish War 1676–1681
Third Russo-Turkish War 1686–1700
Fourth Russo-Turkish War 1710–1711
Fifth Russo-Turkish War 1735–1739
Sixth Russo-Turkish War 1768–1774
Seventh Russo-Turkish War 1787–1792
Eighth Russo-Turkish War 1806–1812
Ninth Russo-Turkish War 1828–1829
Crimean War 1853–1856
Tenth Russo-Turkish War 1877–1878
World War I 1914–1918

When you are in double digits of wars called by your countries names you have bad blood.
Turkey has been supplying drones both previously and since the conflict started. One estimate I saw was that 10% of Russian vehicle losses were from Turkish made drones.

Also, they've closed the Bosporous to Russian shipping, so they can't send more warships to the Black Sea where they could be added to the fight.

Turkey is probably helping Ukraine more than most at this point I'd say.

Not that that makes Erdogan a good guy (he isnt) but that specific criticism doesn't hold water, imo.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 04:36 PM   #3538
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Is it the talk with Sam Harris? If you watched that I would be interested to hear how it went... one thing you have to understand about Kasparov is that he is pretty hawkish, and proceeds from the view that under no circumstances will Russia actually launch a strategic nuke, because the other people in Putin's chain of command won't allow it - they'd stop him if he tried. That's quite an assumption. Maybe he's right, but I'm not as convinced as he seems to be.

Then you have to respond with overwhelming force, using the same means that are used - for example, if Russia were to invade Poland, NATO allied forces would deploy overwhelming military assets to repel that invasion. If Russia were to deploy tactical nuclear weapons against Poland, NATO would do likewise against Russia... And anything above that point, we're then talking about first strikes to attempt to disable Russian nuclear capabilities and probably billions of people dead.

That's my sense of the way it would play out, anyway. The first couple of stages there at least give sanity some time to prevail, and the people around the aggressor (Putin or whoever) to seize control and prevent the apocalypse switch from being flipped.

I don't think that's true at all. There is simply an understanding here about when military assets will be used - everyone, including Putin, gets that an attack on a NATO country will gain you nothing and cause considerable pain and suffering for you and your military. It creates a significantly higher risk of a world-ending event. That understanding does not exist for non-NATO countries, which is why Ukraine is being invaded right now and Lithuania isn't.
Yes, the one with Sam Harris. I think there a a good chance Sam will release it soon as it was recorded. GK further supported the closing of the sky as he does not believe russian pilots are kamikazes who would be willing to die for putin. Do you disagree? Because it strikes me as a rational argument.

GK may appear hawkish, but he believes that the reason we've gotten to this point is because the West was too dovish with vp and did not know how to respond to the annexation of Crimea.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:41 PM   #3539
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I genuinely don’t understand why anyone thinks NATO has any more responsibility to defend Ukraine than they do Georgia or Azerbaijan.
You can neglect as many countries as you want until it's on your doorstep. Except at that point it may be too late.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:49 PM   #3540
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
GK further supported the closing of the sky as he does not believe russian pilots are kamikazes who would be willing to die for putin. Do you disagree? Because it strikes me as a rational argument.
Russian pilots are already dying for Putin.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks