Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #3461
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darryl Reaugh is one of the best on color IMO. He is on Stars broadcasts. He used to fill in on HNIC but it has been a long time.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2022, 06:22 PM   #3462
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's nice to see more women on panels these days. Meaghan Mikkelson has some great insight and her knowledge shines. Her family has been involved in high levels of hockey for generations and it really shows. I also really enjoy Jennifer Botterill who seems like real natural on camera. But man, I would love to get Leah Hextall back on Canadian broadcasts.
Old 04-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #3463
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsyyc View Post
Not listening to Boomer in the morning this last week and having to listen to CBS Sports Radio makes me realize how bad in general sports radio is and that maybe, just maybe, our local team isn't as bad as we sometimes think
The first half of the afternoons sure as hell are.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2022, 06:42 PM   #3464
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Are there any good Flames-related podcasts?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:51 PM   #3465
mhsyyc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Are there any good Flames-related podcasts?
Shifts and Pucks does a lot of Flames stuff
mhsyyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:52 PM   #3466
mhsyyc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's nice to see more women on panels these days. Meaghan Mikkelson has some great insight and her knowledge shines. Her family has been involved in high levels of hockey for generations and it really shows. I also really enjoy Jennifer Botterill who seems like real natural on camera. But man, I would love to get Leah Hextall back on Canadian broadcasts.
Agreed. I also find Jennifer Botterill very professional and insightful
mhsyyc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mhsyyc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 05:41 AM   #3467
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
The concern over Cassie being married to the Flames AGM is just unfounded - maybe if she only got the job for that reason, but she played the game at the highest level and won Olympic gold. It’s not like you can question her credentials.
Disagree, and that’s part of the problem. She doesn’t share the experience of a former player, or anything close to it. Which would be fine if she was humorous, insightful, or otherwise engaging. But she lacks both sides of that equation.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:34 AM   #3468
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
^I agree re. Ball. I view him amongst the very best. Elite. I don't think that's being over complimentary. He's that damn good.
I find it weird that Sportsnet doesn’t elevate him to doing more national level stuff, as he clearly deserves it. That’s as big an indictment on SN as anything, and I’d be curious why that is.

To be clear, as a Flames fan I’m very happy with that, but I feel for him that he is so good at his job and doesn’t seem to get the recognition from his employer.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 08:53 AM   #3469
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Color commentary is meant to fill the air with talk to give the pbp person a rest and to add a perspective to what has just happened.

This is why Hrudey AND Cassie are really poor at the color side of things while both being great as panelists. They both go on incessantly about things that ARE NOT happening while play is going on. They should rarely be heard except between whistles as it is, but for sure at least be relevant to what is occurring on the ice. Its actually infuriating to me when the rambling goes non stop ...sometimes for 10 seconds while play is underway.
Harry Neale ranted about this recently.

Play-by-play callers should be enhancing the drama of the action with their voices. Colour commentators should fill the stoppages in play with insights about what’s happening, maybe throwing in the occasional brief anecdote.

It’s a simple formula. But it has been largely abandoned by modern broadcasters, who sound like a couple of knowledgeable but slightly bored insiders having a private one-on-one conversation. Too often it saps the life out of the game.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 09:52 AM   #3470
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
Disagree, and that’s part of the problem. She doesn’t share the experience of a former player, or anything close to it. Which would be fine if she was humorous, insightful, or otherwise engaging. But she lacks both sides of that equation.
This is a ridiculous take, since CCP has played elite-level hockey for her entire life, and has been very successful at the highest acheivable level. She clearly knows the game extremely well; none of this is an issue at all.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 09:57 AM   #3471
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

SutterBrother obviously meant NHL experience, but it is not a good argument, IMO. CCP does have national team and Olympic experience, which are just as valid and interesting, and are a nice change from the usual stories from ex-NHLers.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:59 AM   #3472
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
I don't disagree with that assessment of her personal traits - all I'm trying to say is that it has nothing to do with her being married to the Flames AGM, or being a woman. I don't find that the colour role is a good fit for her personality, but you can't claim that she doesn't understand the game or know what it takes to win - she just can't effectively translate that into the role they've given her.

What I think gets lost sometimes is that not just anyone that used to play can be a good colour commentator - it takes unique skills on top of playing ability. Not everyone can be like Troy Aikman or Ray Ferraro. To be honest, I'd rather a good colour person that wasn't a former player than someone that used to play doing a bad job.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 11:36 AM   #3473
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think there's an obvious push from the bosses to have all the commentators act as though every play of every game is the best thing all season. There's a pseudo-excitement being pushed down our throats about how great the product is, how lucky we are to be watching these generational players.

The crowd of commentators who want to see "no defense" are part of this, mistaking scoring for good hockey.

And I think Cassie has been told to make the colour about this stuff. Last Flames/Oilers game, Gudbranson smashed McDavid pretty good behind the Flames net. Cassie pointed it out, they had a replay of it, and her narrative was like, "Watch Connor the warrior here, he skates back up the ice looking for some retribution, and Gudbrandson doesn't see him coming."

Except Gudbrandson DID see him coming, and gave him a sly elbow for his troubles.

And Cassie's commentary, watching the replay, just died off, cuz it was just.... wrong. It was surreal. Like, someone whispered in her ear "Talk up this play by McDavid".

While I don't love her voice or her style, I think she knows tons about hockey. But I think the issue that this all revolves around is that we have network and hockey executives trying to build excitement and attract new viewers, and it's somewhat at the expense of the existing educated viewers. There's narrative building going on big time. It's not enough to watch a great player, we have to be told a hundred times that we are witnessing history. Takes the fun out. And I'm sure it's driving a lot of these educated intelligent broadcasters a little batty too.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:23 PM   #3474
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is a ridiculous take, since CCP has played elite-level hockey for her entire life, and has been very successful at the highest acheivable level. She clearly knows the game extremely well; none of this is an issue at all.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
I think what they meant was Cassie doesn’t offer the insights of someone that has played high level hockey, like why a certain player made certain moves or why the coach is making this line matchup or etc. Something more added than someone who hasn’t played the game.

I don’t pay enough attention to Cassie to know if she adds that sort of info or not.
Old 04-11-2022, 12:25 PM   #3475
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

How is an Olympic gold medalist, at hockey, not a high level?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 12:28 PM   #3476
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I think what they meant was Cassie doesn’t offer the insights of someone that has played high level hockey, like why a certain player made certain moves or why the coach is making this line matchup or etc. Something more added than someone who hasn’t played the game.

I don’t pay enough attention to Cassie to know if she adds that sort of info or not.
She didn't play high level hockey?

She played for the ####ing national team multiple years.

She knows the game, to say otherwise really has a misogynistic twinge.

You can dislike how she presents, but I don't think you can argue she doesn't know the game.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 12:29 PM   #3477
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
How is an Olympic multiplegold medalist, at hockey, not a high level?
added.

It really blows my mind

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:39 PM   #3478
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Cassie's problem has never been her knowledge. It's 100% in her presentation. She's not dumb.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:40 PM   #3479
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Not to put words in someone else's mouth (or post), but I interpreted SutterBrother and bigrangy's posts as saying that Cassie's insights don't come across as those of someone who played high-level hockey, even though she did.

They're not saying she doesn't have the experience, just that her commentary doesn't relay that experience to the audience. It's the same criticism as has been said about Simmer and Peplinski when they did colour.

Last edited by getbak; 04-11-2022 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Later clarified
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #3480
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

She played for the ####ing national team multiple years.

She knows the game, to say otherwise really has a misogynistic twinge.

You can dislike how she presents, but I don't think you can argue she doesn't know the game.
I don’t think you are understanding what the post says.

Cassie 100% is an experienced high level hockey person. But does she actually commentate on hockey and add to the analysis with her high-level hockey knowledge? Or is her commentary just surface level “oh my god can you believe mcdavid” stuff that doesn’t add anything that someone who hasn’t played at a high level could add?

You always hear from Hrudey for example on why a goalie was doing what he was doing or if a goal looked worse than it actually was etc.