Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2024, 04:59 PM   #3401
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Thoughts on this deal?

To Ottawa: Markstrom+28th
To Calgary: Korpisalo+7th

Ottawa gets a big upgrade in net and dump the last 4 years of Korpisalo. Flames get a 2nd top 10 pick and get a veteran to play with Wolf for the next several years.
Calgary says yes, easily. Ottawa says no.

Top 10 picks are almost never traded at the draft, and for good reason. You have the opportunity to sell your fanbase on the next big name/potential franchise player - Iginla, Catton, Dickinson, Buium, and you trade it for 34 year old Markstrom? Ottawa would riot, as would we if we were in that position.

I know they get 28 back but late picks drop off significantly in value. Yeah a 1st was traded to dump Monahan but that's expected to be 25-32. Also Tre was super desperate and made an awful trade, unlikely to be repeated.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:20 PM   #3402
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post

Top 10 picks are almost never traded at the draft, and for good reason. You have the opportunity to sell your fanbase on the next big name/potential franchise player - Iginla, Catton, Dickinson, Buium, and you trade it for 34 year old Markstrom? Ottawa would riot, as would we if we were in that position.

I know they get 28 back but late picks drop off significantly in value. Yeah a 1st was traded to dump Monahan but that's expected to be 25-32. Also Tre was super desperate and made an awful trade, unlikely to be repeated.
How many years do you sell your fan base on the next big prospect? That works for a few years but excitement gives way to expectation at some point? Is this that year for ottawa? Not sure myself.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:40 PM   #3403
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If I was an Ottawa fan I’d be pretty sick of waiting for the next prospect. Sucks for them Dorian went all in on DeBrincat and Chychrun
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 05:45 PM   #3404
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
If I was an Ottawa fan I’d be pretty sick of waiting for the next prospect. Sucks for them Dorian went all in on DeBrincat and Chychrun
That’s the biggest problem, IMO… all the picks/assets they spend on DeBrincat and Chychrun likely makes Ottawa management even more hesitant to trade a top ten pick. If not for that, I think they would be all over trades for Andersson and/or Markstrom.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:48 PM   #3405
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
That’s the biggest problem, IMO… all the picks/assets they spend on DeBrincat and Chychrun likely makes Ottawa management even more hesitant to trade a top ten pick. If not for that, I think they would be all over trades for Andersson and/or Markstrom.
Yup. I don’t think Ottawa would do it but another example of rushing a rebuild and getting worse for it. Hope the Flames don’t fall for another Hamonic trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 06:01 PM   #3406
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
See that's exactly it. Canadian fanbases are so impatient when it comes to this kind of stuff. Ottawa is nowhere close to being in a position to trade a top 10 pick for a 34 year old goalie and push their chips in. And the Chuchrun and Debrincat trades were prime examples of trades meant to accelerate the rebuild that spectacularly backfired. Given that it happened so recently, I just can't see them making the same mistake by trading 7th OA, let alone for an aging Markstrom.

As impatient as that fanbase might be, even they would probably realize that's just making the same mistake all over again.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:10 PM   #3407
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another bad year and Brady's likely saying he wants out.

Angry fan favorite captain wanting out = angry fan base = not what the owners/management wants.

I'd actually be quite surprised if they don't move the pick.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:23 PM   #3408
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think it’s Markstrom who says no.

Unless the Senators make some significant moves that get them into contention status, let alone playoff team status, I highly skeptical Markstrom would agree to go there.

I think the fit for Markstrom is between NJ, LA, Carolina, and maybe Toronto.

Last edited by TOfan; 05-23-2024 at 06:35 PM.
TOfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:38 PM   #3409
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I think it’s Markstrom who says no.

Unless the Senators make some significant moves that get them into contention status, let alone playoff team status, I highly skeptical Markstrom would agree to go there.

I think the fit for Markstrom is between NJ, LA, Carolina, and maybe Toronto.
That's why you send him with Andersson
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:39 PM   #3410
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm not advocating any particular piece of draft capital should be dealt.

I am suggesting there shouldn't be a "keep all your picks and make draft selections" rule.
What we need is the Darryl Trelving rule. Don’t waste your draft picks.

Need to place a greater value on our picks so we don’t get offered trash like Hamomics for our picks.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:39 PM   #3411
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Thoughts on this deal?

To Ottawa: Markstrom+28th
To Calgary: Korpisalo+7th

Ottawa gets a big upgrade in net and dump the last 4 years of Korpisalo. Flames get a 2nd top 10 pick and get a veteran to play with Wolf for the next several years.
To Ottawa: Andersson
To Calgary: 7th overall

I’d say that is closer in value.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:45 PM   #3412
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
To Ottawa: Andersson
To Calgary: 7th overall

I’d say that is closer in value.
That’s a bit much.

Given Hronek got Detroit 17, can’t see how the Flames would get 7 for Andersson.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:58 PM   #3413
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
That's why you send him with Andersson
Andersson and Markstrom for 7 and? If it’s Chychrun, I think the Flames are adding. People will say Pinto but I don’t think that’s happening. Chabot at full freight, maybe.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:01 PM   #3414
BigThief
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That’s a bit much.

Given Hronek got Detroit 17, can’t see how the Flames would get 7 for Andersson.
(and a 2nd)
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigThief For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 07:05 PM   #3415
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
See that's exactly it. Canadian fanbases are so impatient when it comes to this kind of stuff. Ottawa is nowhere close to being in a position to trade a top 10 pick for a 34 year old goalie and push their chips in. And the Chuchrun and Debrincat trades were prime examples of trades meant to accelerate the rebuild that spectacularly backfired. Given that it happened so recently, I just can't see them making the same mistake by trading 7th OA, let alone for an aging Markstrom.

As impatient as that fanbase might be, even they would probably realize that's just making the same mistake all over again.
I don't think you need to factor in the patience of the fanbase. You're gonna need to consider the fact Brady Tkachuk isn't happy at the moment. His time is now, not later and he's said as much. They're going to have to make moves to get this core off the ground.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:14 PM   #3416
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I don't think you need to factor in the patience of the fanbase. You're gonna need to consider the fact Brady Tkachuk isn't happy at the moment. His time is now, not later and he's said as much. They're going to have to make moves to get this core off the ground.
He is 24 years old.

I mean, of course he wants it now....every player in the league does.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:21 PM   #3417
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn’t help Ottawa that Matthew Tkachuk got out of the small Canadian market and is on his second long playoff run in a row and has become one of the faces of the league. Matthew played in the playoffs in 4 of his 6 years ans a Flame and Brady has never played in the playoffs in his 6 year career. I can definitely see him considering a change unless Ottawa takes a leap into the playoffs next year.

Honestly the deals for Debrincat and Chychrun made sense. They acquired assets 25 years old with 2 years of team control. Adding in prime stars to a roster full of young talent should help push the program forward but it hasn’t.

Maybe Markstrom is not a target for Ottawa but I do think they look to make a massive shakeup this summer to make the playoffs next year.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 07:31 PM   #3418
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s a bit much.

Andersson >>> Hronek, would certainly be one argument.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 07:39 PM   #3419
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Andersson >>> Hronek, would certainly be one argument.
again, think you’re laying it on a little thick.

The difference between the two is marginal. They’re both guys who are best suited as a 2D who are around the same age. There’s not a big difference there.

In other words, if you were the GM of the Senators would you trade the packs Detroit got, 17 and 43 for 7OA? I wouldn’t.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:04 PM   #3420
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You just don’t know what you are talking about on this one lol. This isn’t an impatient fan thing, the Senators last made the playoffs in 2017. I’m supportive of a rebuild in Calgary but by year 7 I’m hoping the Flames are buying and not hoping for the next high pick to hit.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good