Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2022, 02:31 PM   #321
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Victoria's biggest problem is that, due to its size, it has many of the problems other medium to large-sized cities have (crime, homelessness, cost of living, etc.), but due to location and demographics, it doesn't offer the same level of amenities and entertainment that other cities of similar size do.

I still prefer living here to Calgary, but if you're not really into the outdoors, it gets pretty boring pretty fast out here.
Also doesn't help that over 80% of any available entertainment venues have disappeared the last decade. Heck gorge/esquimalt are now have zero....zero bars for anyone in the area to go to. Bah, there's spinnakers but they close before 11.

Gentrification has really put a damper on working class entertainment. At least in my neck of Victoria.

Kinda sucks you have to go to either Langford or downtown for you closest entertainment.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:34 PM   #322
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Also doesn't help that over 80% of any available entertainment venues have disappeared the last decade. Heck gorge/esquimalt are now have zero....zero bars for anyone in the area to go to. Bah, there's spinnakers but they close before 11.

Gentrification has really put a damper on working class entertainment. At least in my neck of Victoria.

Kinda sucks you have to go to either Langford or downtown for you closest entertainment.
Carlton Club is still open, isn't it?

But yeah, I used to love bar-hopping at the dive bars along Gorge Rd. Losing Logan's also really sucked. Pretty much killed any remaining local music scenes that aren't the same 3-6 DJs that cycle through Capital and Upstairs.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:55 PM   #323
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alberta has launched a big campaign in BC and Ontario telling people that "Alberta is Calling" in an attempt to increase migration to Alberta. I've seen some ads in TV myself here in Vancouver.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559274566001651712
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:03 PM   #324
Spuds_Buckley
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
We missed listing by a few weeks. Once those June interest rates kicked in it has completely stalled houses in our area. Some of the more expensive ones seem to be moving, but not our modest little house.

You are right though, we're going to get a decent home (looking towards Okotoks) for the money - it just couldve been way more debt off the table if we we're maybe 3 weeks quicker listing.

Such is life.
We moved to Okotoks from BC last year. In the time since then, we've gotten to know a bunch of neighbors and almost all are transplants from out of province. Mostly from BC, but also Manitoba and Ontario. Almost all cited the affordable housing price in Alberta as the primary driver for relocating.

You will have no regrets if you move to Okotoks. It's a fantastic place to raise a family.
Spuds_Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:06 PM   #325
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Alberta has launched a big campaign in BC and Ontario telling people that "Alberta is Calling" in an attempt to increase migration to Alberta. I've seen some ads in TV myself here in Vancouver.

Good message. Terrible person to deliver it.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 03:13 PM   #326
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post

As a person with a disability, in need of quality health care, not a chance I would consider a move to Alberta with the UCP still in charge. BC's health care system is bad but Alberta's is worse.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:47 PM   #327
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now that we have kids, I dont find this city great to raise a child. Infrastructure is lacking - the kids dont have much to do. Swimming lessons sellout in literally 10 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, my brother and his wife enjoyed it. Then they had one kid, and it was OK. Then they had a second kid, and it became apparent Vancouver couldn't offer much for them, so they left.
It may not be the coolest thing to judge a city by, but I think Calgary's ability to offer a ton of accessible, and relatively affordable, recreational activities for families/kids is one this city's best traits.

• Bike paths everywhere
• A great library system
• The ability to boat/kayak/float/fish in two rivers, or try white-water on Harvie Passage
• A truly world-class zoo
• Plenty of rec-centers, some that seem to rival Olympic venues
• COP (yeah it's not for everyone, but it's perfect for kids, and its right there!)
• Integrated parks like Fish Creek/Glenmore/Princess Island, and err, Nose Hill?
• Hockey/skating rinks/soccer fields in most communities
• Skateboarding and Pump tracks
• Heritage Park, Stampede, Science Centre etc.
• Private activity centers like climbing walls, go-kart tracks, gymnastics centers etc.
• All that, and the frickin' Rockies being next door for all your skiing, hiking, camping, biking needs.

Apart from a water park, better access to lakes, and better art/history museums (which hopefully the renovated Glenbow can help fix), I'm not sure there's that much missing for families. All in a relatively safe and stable environment. Calgary may not be the ultimate place for a 20-year old cool hunter or a 60+ retiree, but for those kid-raising years, personally I think it's pretty awesome.

And I'm not saying that places like Vancouver and Victoria don't have these things...but with the cost of housing being considerably less here, I think it gives families more breathing room to devote their money and time on these types of activities (and if something is missing, the ability to travel to other places to supplement).
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 04:10 PM   #328
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Calgary boasts quality of life, affordable housing and a booming economy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Maybe I haven't been keeping up with the news but this can't be true.
not sure if booming is the appropriate word but Alberta is doing very well at the moment if measured by unemployment rate.

https://economicdashboard.alberta.ca...oyment#alberta
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:15 PM   #329
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Most cities have far fewer bars catering to the working class than they used to. Drinking and bars have increasingly become a professional-class activity, while the working class uses pot and street drugs.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:14 PM   #330
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Most cities have far fewer bars catering to the working class than they used to. Drinking and bars have increasingly become a professional-class activity, while the working class uses pot and street drugs.
Quite unfortunate. Related to property prices imo. It's not really possible to have a profitable dive bar with cheap drinks. Now all that's left is the places that charge more. People generally have less disposable income too. It's cheaper to buy a case of beer and a bag of drugs than it is to go to any bar and drink for the night.

I will say that Calgary has a few great brewing tasting rooms l. Places where you could still buy a beer for $4 or less. The issue was not many were walkable, from each other or anywhere else really, and you can only sit at a single place with either restaurant or picnic table type seating for so long. And I'm sure if Calgary ever does get their entertainment district going again, any well located breweries will also charge a lot more.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:21 PM   #331
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
We missed listing by a few weeks. Once those June interest rates kicked in it has completely stalled houses in our area. Some of the more expensive ones seem to be moving, but not our modest little house.

You are right though, we're going to get a decent home (looking towards Okotoks) for the money - it just couldve been way more debt off the table if we we're maybe 3 weeks quicker listing.

Such is life.
Timing the market perfectly isn't really possible. If you'd cashed out in Victoria at the very peak, you would have run into the bidding wars in Calgary. Prices are still very high everywhere in BC, if some houses aren't moving, it's because people are still pricing them too high.

Your probably a little used to it, but earning $400k plus (which I'm assuming is on the lower end of what your property increased by) on real estate in ten years is not normal. That's a huge amount of cash to have in hand tax free. Like winning a lottery. Many people will never have that much liquid cash, even after a lifetime of working.

The fact that lots of people in BC are getting ridiculously rich is what keeps the system going. It's a system that not everyone, obviously, profits from. If you have, I say take the money and run.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:35 PM   #332
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Carlton Club is still open, isn't it?

But yeah, I used to love bar-hopping at the dive bars along Gorge Rd. Losing Logan's also really sucked. Pretty much killed any remaining local music scenes that aren't the same 3-6 DJs that cycle through Capital and Upstairs.
We tried saving the Carlton, new owners came in two months before Rona hit, literally broke the owners. Then the lot sold to developers and now it's being used as a performing arts place until construction begins. Think it comes down early in the new year.

That'll be the 5th new condo development this year on Esquimalt Road alone.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:06 PM   #333
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
It may not be the coolest thing to judge a city by, but I think Calgary's ability to offer a ton of accessible, and relatively affordable, recreational activities for families/kids is one this city's best traits.

• Bike paths everywhere
• A great library system
• The ability to boat/kayak/float/fish in two rivers, or try white-water on Harvie Passage
• COP (yeah it's not for everyone, but it's perfect for kids, and its right there!)
• Integrated parks like Fish Creek/Glenmore/Princess Island, and err, Nose Hill?
• Private activity centers like climbing walls, go-kart tracks, gymnastics centers etc.
• All that, and the frickin' Rockies being next door for all your skiing, hiking, camping, biking needs.

Apart from a water park, better access to lakes, and better art/history museums (which hopefully the renovated Glenbow can help fix), I'm not sure there's that much missing for families. All in a relatively safe and stable environment. Calgary may not be the ultimate place for a 20-year old cool hunter or a 60+ retiree, but for those kid-raising years, personally I think it's pretty awesome.

And I'm not saying that places like Vancouver and Victoria don't have these things...but with the cost of housing being considerably less here, I think it gives families more breathing room to devote their money and time on these types of activities (and if something is missing, the ability to travel to other places to supplement).
sorry, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I am saying Victoria (and area) is a terrible place to raise a family.

I grew up in Calgary and I'm completely excited to bring my kids here to do the things I was able to do when I was young.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:08 PM   #334
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Timing the market perfectly isn't really possible. If you'd cashed out in Victoria at the very peak, you would have run into the bidding wars in Calgary. Prices are still very high everywhere in BC, if some houses aren't moving, it's because people are still pricing them too high.

Your probably a little used to it, but earning $400k plus (which I'm assuming is on the lower end of what your property increased by) on real estate in ten years is not normal. That's a huge amount of cash to have in hand tax free. Like winning a lottery. Many people will never have that much liquid cash, even after a lifetime of working.

The fact that lots of people in BC are getting ridiculously rich is what keeps the system going. It's a system that not everyone, obviously, profits from. If you have, I say take the money and run.
We also were hoping to sell in the mid-July time so we had time to find a place here and get the kids enrolled in school and whatnot. So while I agree prices have dropped everywhere, it was more of a 'i'm impatient and want to move right friggin now" then anything. But i've derailed this thread enough.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:22 PM   #335
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We tried saving the Carlton, new owners came in two months before Rona hit, literally broke the owners. Then the lot sold to developers and now it's being used as a performing arts place until construction begins. Think it comes down early in the new year.

That'll be the 5th new condo development this year on Esquimalt Road alone.
Brutal. Yeah this city is boring as hell now unless you have $200 to blow sitting in a cocktail bar that would be considered mid at best in any other big city.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:16 PM   #336
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post

• Bike paths everywhere
• A great library system

I'm gonna blow your mind: it's called Prince's Island Park. Named after some guy named Peter Prince, who founded the Eau Claire Lumber Mill near that site...Eau Claire is named after a town by the same name in Wisconsin.

To the rest of your post, another key thing is that it's actually possible to visit all of those attractions easily. If you're lucky you might live close to one similar attraction in the GVA, but visiting any other is probably a [painful] full day trip. North Van might be pretty good with so many ski hills and great nature places so close.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 07:32 PM   #337
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm no fan of Vancouver, but I can't imagine ever moving back to Calgary. That's not to say I don't think it's a good place to live and raise kids, but I find it really hard to believe I could adjust to life back there again.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 08:12 PM   #338
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As a person with a disability, in need of quality health care, not a chance I would consider a move to Alberta with the UCP still in charge. BC's health care system is bad but Alberta's is worse.
What makes you say that?
From everyone I know that has lived in both provinces, Alberta's health care is light years better. You can't even find a family doctor in most of BC.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:29 PM   #339
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Not sure if they have this or something similar in Vancouver but the Fair Entry program we have here in Calgary is really good for low income people. Includes quite a few discounts on things like transit and rec facilities that you may not be able to afford otherwise.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:36 PM   #340
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I'm gonna blow your mind: it's called Prince's Island Park. Named after some guy named Peter Prince, who founded the Eau Claire Lumber Mill near that site...Eau Claire is named after a town by the same name in Wisconsin.
Shiiet, how embarrassing of me. I actually do know the correct spelling and factoid, and was just telling me kids about it the other day.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world