Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #3341
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Their last proposal wasn't a 100% repayment proposal. Unless you're saying that the Flames are entitled to not have to pay any property tax (y'know like all us regular folk do) the proceeds of such they benefit from.

Regardless, if the Flames are so petty that they can't swallow a tiny bit of pride and come back to the table then by all means the City can make some inconsequential "concession" to placate the egos at CS&E.
In fact, the City has already publicly dangled a carrot to lure CSEC back to the table by indicating that there was still room for negotiation on parts of their proposal.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #3342
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I still think that characterizing payment of property taxes as "repayment" of a "loan" is very misleading (even disingenuous). My municipality didn't loan me anything and yet still seems to expect an annual "repayment".
And if your current situation doesn't not require 'repayment', and a new situation does require that 'repayment'?
Old 10-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #3343
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have the feeling if Nenshi wins the election, CSEC will rather pursue an Olympic bid to try and obtain federal funding than renegotiate. Risky since this pushes the timeline out a lot more, but their best bet if they don't want to pony up more dollars for the arena. Also allows them to save some face.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #3344
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think you're underestimating the Flames ownership. I don't believe for a second that they're coming back to the table until the City of Calgary approaches them with an offer that doesn't include 100% repayment, because again - I don't think the City is going to find an investing partner willing to put up the level of investment in Nenshi's proposal.
It's an election year. The Flames had a card to play when negotiations weren't going their way - pull back from the table, have a clear favorite candidate who's not Nenshi, and attempt to make the arena deal an election issue. If they win, then bully for them.

If they lose, they come back to the table, they do a deal, and we all move on.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #3345
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
And if your current situation doesn't not require 'repayment', and a new situation does require that 'repayment'?
Well, I was faced with that very decision some 20 years ago when I had to decide whether or not to move out of the cozy confines of my mother's basement and start paying rent (which included the transferred cost of property taxes) on what I hoped would quickly become my sex palace. In hindsight, I should have just stayed in my mother's basement.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #3346
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think you're underestimating the Flames ownership. I don't believe for a second that they're coming back to the table until the City of Calgary approaches them with an offer that doesn't include 100% repayment, because again - I don't think the City is going to find an investing partner willing to put up the level of investment in Nenshi's proposal.
Completely agree. The City needs to come off of a 100% repayment based strategy.

However, ownership needs to come off of a 10%-20%* contribution strategy. Prepayment of rent does not constitute a contribution, it constitutes rent.

*To clarify, the time value of money certainly means upfront rent payment has an aspect of true contribution. $275M spread over 35 years at 4% has an NPV of about $150M. So it represents a $125M Flames contribution (25% of the $500M arena). Add in that the Flames' $500M ignores land value, Saddledome demo, and infrastructure tie-ins to get to my assumed 10%-20% contribution.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #3347
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I have the feeling if Nenshi wins the election, CSEC will rather pursue an Olympic bid to try and obtain federal funding than renegotiate. Risky since this pushes the timeline out a lot more, but their best bet if they don't want to pony up more dollars for the arena. Also allows them to save some face.
CSEC isn't in a position to pursue an Olympic bid, only the city is.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #3348
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
To some people, paying property taxes is different than repaying a loan.
I feel like such a sucker.

When I bought my place, I didn't even think to ask the city to pay for 1/3 of it with the promise that I'd "pay them back" by paying property taxes on the place for the next 30 years.

The jerks still expect me to pay property taxes on it anyway.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #3349
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Completely agree. The City needs to come off of a 100% repayment based strategy.

However, ownership needs to come off of a 10%-20%* contribution strategy. Prepayment of rent does not constitute a contribution, it constitutes rent.

*To clarify, the time value of money certainly means upfront rent payment has an aspect of true contribution. $275M spread over 35 years at 4% has an NPV of about $150M. So it represents a $125M Flames contribution (25% of the $500M arena). Add in that the Flames' $500M ignores land value, Saddledome demo, and infrastructure tie-ins to get to my assumed 10%-20% contribution.

Oh yeah, I’m not meaning to come off as saying CSECs deal should be accepted - I just think Nenshi’s proposal is every bit as “crazy” as CSECs proposal because it’s completely disconnected from what the market would bear.

As much as this thread seems to paint this as CSEC being at fault, it really is an astonishing failure on both sides.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #3350
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Well, I was faced with that very decision some 20 years ago when I had to decide whether or not to move out of the cozy confines of my mother's basement and start paying rent (which included the transferred cost of property taxes) on what I hoped would quickly become my sex palace. In hindsight, I should have just stayed in my mother's basement.
Ha nice.
And I expect the Flames are content to stay in Nenshi's basement until a guaranteed 'sex palace' is offered up.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #3351
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I feel like such a sucker.

When I bought my place, I didn't even think to ask the city to pay for 1/3 of it with the promise that I'd "pay them back" by paying property taxes on the place for the next 30 years.

The jerks still expect me to pay property taxes on it anyway.
The Flames aren't buying.

Of course, triple net lease etc.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #3352
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ha nice.
And I expect the Flames are content to stay in Nenshi's basement until a guaranteed 'sex palace' is offered up.
Correct. I haven't done a full financial analysis of the city's proposal, but the fact that the city has likely built an interest rate into the CRL and ticket tax frontage suggests that on an NPV basis, the City's proposal is much worse for the owners than the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 being advertised by the city.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #3353
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ha nice.
Unfortunately, it'll be you, me and the other Calgary tax payers who end up getting screwed in this new sex palace.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #3354
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Unfortunately, it'll be you, me and the other Calgary tax payers who end up getting screwed in this new sex palace.
And not in a good way, amirite?
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #3355
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Correct. I haven't done a full financial analysis of the city's proposal, but the fact that the city has likely built an interest rate into the CRL and ticket tax frontage suggests that on an NPV basis, the City's proposal is much worse for the owners than the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 being advertised by the city.
As you say, I don't think we really know. However, the City has indicated that details regarding ticket tax financing in particular are open for negotiation.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #3356
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
CSEC isn't in a position to pursue an Olympic bid, only the city is.
Yeah, I only meant that they would rather bring their support and influence to an Olympic bid than come back to the negotiating table with the city.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #3357
Hangman
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Edit: Reply deleted, answer redundant.

Last edited by Hangman; 10-11-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #3358
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
maybe he's smart this time. the best way to win is to have no opinion on anything.
How does that saying go... "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt"
Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #3359
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

So, there's a brief clip of the Flames in this video. I am having a difficult time believing that's a coincidence...

http://theinvertedbowl.com/

Old 10-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #3360
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Rossetti was one of the designers for CalgaryNEXT.

Nothing really to see here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread