Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #3221
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
No kidding. Both games under Hitch go to OT.
Isn't that just what Hitch is known to do? Try to squeeze out wins in low scoring games? Great news Connor!
Old 11-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #3222
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
elmeroil

They played a good road game, I have faith.
So does every flames fan
Old 11-23-2018, 09:11 PM   #3223
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-fart View Post
Just watching a bit of the Coilers Ducks game and they are trotting out a line they are calling "The Identity Line".

On this line, the line to define the identity of the Coilers, is Lucic, Kassian and Brodziak.

So the question is.... What is the Coilers Identity? Overpaying lousy hockey players? Too slow with no skill? IQ in double digits? Fugly caveman?

So no good.
The identity line...

"Players who play like it's 1985.... speaking of which, the Oilers were great in the 1980s........."

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 11-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #3224
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
GG strategy detected.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #3225
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Oilers have recalled Puljujarvi
Old 11-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #3226
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
1 goal and 4 assists in 10 games. Lesson learned and time to start tearing the NHL apart!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #3227
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Right in time for Hitchcocks trap heavy heavy defensive responsibilities system.

Yeah this is going to be awesome.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 11-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #3228
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
1 goal and 4 assists in 10 games. Lesson learned and time to start tearing the NHL apart!
And my Oilers fan co-worker said JP was dominating in the AHL...
Old 11-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #3229
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
And my Oilers fan co-worker said JP was dominating in the AHL...
Yeah that's what they are saying on HF as well. It's hard to imagine he's going to be a Hitchcock favourite.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #3230
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Frankly the Oiler fans and the oilers are so desperate that after 4 games in the minors they're declaring him as dominant?

Really?

He's going to come up and Hitchcock is going to rip him face off after 2 games of his low IQ style of invisible hockey.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 11-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #3231
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah that's what they are saying on HF as well. It's hard to imagine he's going to be a Hitchcock favourite.
Hitchcock doghoused Tarasenko, his offensive juggernaut ~70 point forward for not playing a complete game.

And Tarasenko is actually good. If Pujufgsdkjndgskjnafsdarvi isnt putting up those offensive numbers and his defensive game is terrible (which it is) he's going to be sentenced to a doghouse in another hemisphere.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #3232
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Those are last year's stats.

He had 2G + 2A in 4 games this season in the AHL.

Lazar with 7G + 7A in 18 games for reference.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #3233
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
To be fair, any of the other three lines would feel like a liability risk late in a tight game also.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #3234
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Right in time for Hitchcocks trap heavy heavy defensive responsibilities system.

Yeah this is going to be awesome.
Actually I think you have a point, getting a call up now is a punishment.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #3235
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bold moves, Chia
Old 11-25-2018, 09:11 AM   #3236
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that hiring Hitchcock is a good move. It seems like everyone here has been rallying against the Oilers saying that they don't have the offensive depth required to win which is an accurate statement. I think that in order to be successful they need to bring in a coach who can coach a team defensive game and grind out wins and trap their way to a few more wins.

It just seems strange to read the fans here mocking the move because Hitch is a very defensive coach and then at the same time mock the Oilers because they have no offensive talent beyond their top three.

They don't have the skill to run and gun so they need to slow down the opposition and bring them down to their level.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:24 AM   #3237
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I think that hiring Hitchcock is a good move. It seems like everyone here has been rallying against the Oilers saying that they don't have the offensive depth required to win which is an accurate statement. I think that in order to be successful they need to bring in a coach who can coach a team defensive game and grind out wins and trap their way to a few more wins.

It just seems strange to read the fans here mocking the move because Hitch is a very defensive coach and then at the same time mock the Oilers because they have no offensive talent beyond their top three.

They don't have the skill to run and gun so they need to slow down the opposition and bring them down to their level.
people are mocking the move cause the guy wasn't even on the radar for other teams looking for a coach... whether the game has passed him is something we'll have to judge.

Hitch is a reputation for butting heads with players and whether mcdavid et al even want to play defense is the reason the hire is being mocked

and its an E=NG thread...

so unlikely you'd find anyone that thinks this is a good hire...
Old 11-25-2018, 09:28 AM   #3238
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

No no no no..... We are ripping on hiring hitch because he's a defensive minded coach and they don't have any defenseman. Really, if you think about it, with the lack of offensive depth, and the lack of defensive depth, they really should have targeted a coach that is a master at playing the entire game at center ice. A neutral minded coach if you will
Old 11-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #3239
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hitch is the interim coach for the rest of the season. It's not like whatever he implements will be long term. Sure they lack offensive depth but you can argue defensively they are worse so it's not like playing strong defense is going to be easy to pull off with that roster. If slowing down the game was a recipe for success in the NHL more teams would be doing it and it's not like McLellan was coaching fire wagon hockey. Hitchcock is not a magician and it really doesn't matter what he does because it doesn't change the fact the Oilers are no good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #3240
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hitch is a coach who has a very limited shelf life, but he can get results out of marginal rosters. Look at what he was able to do with St. Louis, a bubble team that he was able to get to the third round making Elliot and Allen look like world beaters.

I think that this may be a good move for them and may get them into the playoffs in the absolutely dreadful Pacific.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread