Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2021, 05:31 AM   #3181
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
The Flames don't have to qualify him. He is guaranteed to get paid at least $7.65M for that year. That's not too bad, but a lot of it depends on how well he performs. Therefore, a number in the $8M+ range might be something he would find appealing on a longer term.

Source

As long as he has a decent year, it’s unlikely his salary will be decreased. I don’t mean a $9M quality year, just a decent year. They won’t judge his year in a vacuum, as once he gets to the $9M number, it’s not an easy fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:38 AM   #3182
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine Gaudreau walking away next summer as a UFA, and then Tkachuk walking away the summer after that as a UFA...

That's worst case, and hopefully never happens.

But at this point, if Treliving can't get them extended, the best we can likely hope for is pennies on the dollar in trades that happen from a position of weakness.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 06:21 AM   #3183
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s the problem for this team. They continually deal from positions of weakness instead of dealing from positions of strength. They really struggle to identify moments of opportunity, then finding the sweet spot for return. Has been this was for years and a reason why the team continues to get progressively worse.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #3184
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Neither the Tkachuk or a Gaudreau situations worry me. I’m confident they’ll work out, and if they don’t, life goes on.

Tkachuk talking trash is truly “classic” Tkachuk. Doesn’t really make a difference if it’s on the ice or off to an opposing team.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #3185
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of you read entirely too much into what he said to a media source, he always likes messing with them. I think people forget how young he is as well, he has not remotely hit his upside yet. I expect Chucky to have a monster year this season.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:46 AM   #3186
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really could not care less what players say to the media.

I hope Tkachuk wants to get paid and plays like it. If he's all about the money, see if you can keep him on three year deals.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:52 AM   #3187
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Some of you read entirely too much into what he said to a media source, he always likes messing with them. I think people forget how young he is as well, he has not remotely hit his upside yet. I expect Chucky to have a monster year this season.

When has Tkachuk ever messed with the media? He always seems professional and doesn't really give them much.

I expect him to have a good season as well but we can't ignore his comments. It was an embarrassing interview and made him look like a entitled clown.

If this was an Oiler making those comments we'd be having a field day on them.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #3188
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Neither the Tkachuk or a Gaudreau situations worry me. I’m confident they’ll work out, and if they don’t, life goes on.

Tkachuk talking trash is truly “classic” Tkachuk. Doesn’t really make a difference if it’s on the ice or off to an opposing team.
I agree they’ll work out now because they basically have to or take a horrendous return in a trade, the fact remains that from a strategic perspective letting both situations evolve to where they are doesn’t make much sense. Lanny is 100% correct.

One thing ive always wondered is why GMs wait until summer to start talking extensions for key players. I can imagine these types of contracts take a long time to put together but why not start in December? And you always hear about “don’t want to have it be a distraction” but personally I think that’s kind of garbage. It’s sports, a guy can play hockey and have his agent go off negotiate a deal at the same time.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #3189
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pretty sure Treliving looks at all the options, it’s his job. The best answer is to stand pat and add what you can and hope Sutter can do magic one last time.

For whatever reason, the plan to change the core didn’t work. Probably the trade returns were not there.

We are going all in on a mediocre hand but that’s the best choice

As for Johnny and Tkachuk, they are going to have to pay big anyway. May as well, watch and see what they can do this year.

Last edited by Flamesfan05; 09-18-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #3190
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
When has Tkachuk ever messed with the media? He always seems professional and doesn't really give them much.

I expect him to have a good season as well but we can't ignore his comments. It was an embarrassing interview and made him look like a entitled clown.

If this was an Oiler making those comments we'd be having a field day on them.
IMO you pretty much have to accept the fact that all pro sports fans that are passionate about their favorite team are hypocritical.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:19 AM   #3191
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
IMO you pretty much have to accept the fact that all pro sports fans that are passionate about their favorite team are hypocritical.
Why do we all have to be hypocritical? There's a lot of passionate fans here that dont have rosie glasses or whatever the opposite of that would be.... shades, on.

Lots of those though too.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #3192
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I accepted that long time ago. I just wish people would judge players more fairly and that just because I think Tkachuk sounds like an entitled clown and wouldn't make a good captain I will still cheer him on and he's one of my favorite players on this team but he is what he is.

Didn't really see this side of him before. His dad probably in his ear. He's got one thing right, clASSic Tkachuk.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #3193
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I agree they’ll work out now because they basically have to or take a horrendous return in a trade, the fact remains that from a strategic perspective letting both situations evolve to where they are doesn’t make much sense. Lanny is 100% correct.

One thing ive always wondered is why GMs wait until summer to start talking extensions for key players. I can imagine these types of contracts take a long time to put together but why not start in December? And you always hear about “don’t want to have it be a distraction” but personally I think that’s kind of garbage. It’s sports, a guy can play hockey and have his agent go off negotiate a deal at the same time.
Who's to say they haven't been talking for some time?

Not everything gets reported in the press.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #3194
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Why do we all have to be hypocritical? There's a lot of passionate fans here that dont have rosie glasses or whatever the opposite of that would be.... shades, on.

Lots of those though too.
Hypocritical was maybe too strong and biased is probably a better word. And year, some are more than others.

And frankly it goes both ways. Some defend everything. Some criticize everything. But in either case, it's nearly impossible not to look at your home team differently.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #3195
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames don't have to qualify him. He is guaranteed to get paid at least $7.65M for that year. That's not too bad, but a lot of it depends on how well he performs. Therefore, a number in the $8M+ range might be something he would find appealing on a longer term.

Source
Thanks. It is a unique negotiation so perhaps the club elects arbitration after seeing what Laine did. I can’t remember a time the Flames have not made a qualifying offer and elected arbitration. It would surprise me if they didn’t make such an offer.

If the Flames choose arbitration, he can still take the arbitration award and walk to free agency. He has a path straight to maximizing his earnings, which appears (based on limited viewing and not knowing him) important to him. I don’t see his incentive to signing long term next year, unless the Flames are offering what he thinks he’s worth on the open market.

Now, these are his rights and I don’t blame him for deciding to maximize his earning potential if that is important. If the Flames can’t get him to commit to anything beyond his RFA years, then they will have an interesting decision next summer.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:42 AM   #3196
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of overreacting here.
He's a young millionaire athlete talking about his brother's contract.
He speaks more openly and unapologetically about it than other players, but this isn't abnormal negotiations.

A Tkachuk comes with a bit more attitude, arrogance and lack of filter. That's how they are; he needs to back it up though.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #3197
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
As long as he has a decent year, it’s unlikely his salary will be decreased. I don’t mean a $9M quality year, just a decent year. They won’t judge his year in a vacuum, as once he gets to the $9M number, it’s not an easy fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree, it's unlikely his salary would be decreased by much, but that's still leverage in the negotiations. However if you take his whole body of work he is still not a $9M player, unless he has an absolute monster of a season. I expect it to never reach arbitration, but that's a tool I fully expect the team to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeSpace View Post
Thanks. It is a unique negotiation so perhaps the club elects arbitration after seeing what Laine did. I can’t remember a time the Flames have not made a qualifying offer and elected arbitration. It would surprise me if they didn’t make such an offer.

If the Flames choose arbitration, he can still take the arbitration award and walk to free agency. He has a path straight to maximizing his earnings, which appears (based on limited viewing and not knowing him) important to him. I don’t see his incentive to signing long term next year, unless the Flames are offering what he thinks he’s worth on the open market.

Now, these are his rights and I don’t blame him for deciding to maximize his earning potential if that is important. If the Flames can’t get him to commit to anything beyond his RFA years, then they will have an interesting decision next summer.
Yes, team arbitration is not something that is done often. You essentially tell the player you believe he is overpaid. It can also only be done once per player. However, I don't see why wouldn't they choose that option if they believe he is overpaid at $9M. That said, he agreed to a $7M * 3 contract because of that qualifying offer.

Unfortunately, I also have a hard time seeing Tkachuk pass over the opportunity to become a UFA as soon as he possibly can.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #3198
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers sign Yamamoto, 1 year $1.175M, seems a bit low for me. Haven't seen a thread, and don't want to get Surelossed.
https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/s...57942549688320
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #3199
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oilers sign Yamamoto, 1 year $1.175M, seems a bit low for me. Haven't seen a thread, and don't want to get Surelossed.
Thats a good deal for the Coil. Hopefully he gets a full season on Mcdavids wing and some PP time and pads his stats this season.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #3200
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
21 points playing with Drai the whole year...he is probably a tweener on most teams IMO. One year deal, he is probably hoping to put up big numbers and get a big contract. Trouble is the Oilers have no caps space.