Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2024, 01:17 PM   #281
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by All In Good Time View Post
You have to think these discussions will be had with Kadri, Weegar and Coleman too. The prospect of Weegar wanting to move on and leaving us with only 1 experienced defensemen signed for next season is interesting
And Andersson. He is likely the most valuable player left as far as what he would return in a trade. It’s important to know his view on his future with the team. If he does not want to help lead them through the rebuild and into the future, he would be a big trade piece… possibly as early as this 2024 draft because he has 2 years left on his deal that has a very affordable cap hit for what he brings. I think Conroy could use him to get another pick in the range of 10-15th overall if he found the right trade partner.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:32 PM   #282
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don’t be surprised if we hear Weegars name if markstrom gets moved this summer
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:06 PM   #283
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
I'd be shocked if we see Weegar traded. Only way that happens is if he requests it because he wants to try to win somewhere else sooner.

Sure we may hear his name come up because teams are inquiring about him (who wouldn't), but I don't see us trading away the whole roster. Conroy seems eager to retool as quick as possible, ensuring we get NHL players not just picks in each deal, etc. Unless someone offers the moon I think Weegar plays out his contract here.

That's all besides the point that I think he sets a great example for the young guys to follow. Looks like he cares, plays hard, turns into good results. We need more Weegars not less.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 02:37 PM   #284
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think any of these players who signed after Gaudreau left want to be requesting trades.

They took the money and knew full well how precarious the situation in Calgary was. Don’t sign an untradeable contract if you’re not prepared to deal with some slogs.

You wanna win, shouldve signed 6x6 with Colorado.

The best thing they can all do is be good soldiers, set a good example for the young players, and not be a distraction.

That’s gonna be as important to the turnaround as the shiny new toys.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:37 PM   #285
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
The CBA expires as the end of 25/26. When the NHL negotiated in 2005 they gave unlimited buyouts. When they negotiated in 2013 they gave two free buyouts. I strongly hope/expect that the NHL will have another round of buyouts in 2026 as a free give to the PA for concessions the PA makes. It is basically free money for the PA because it opens up cap space for the other members. That in my mind is the best longterm solution to that contract. It also conveniently lines up with when the Flames are expected to be competitive again. Huberdeau buyout incoming in January 2027 after a 4 month work stoppage.
Others have mentioned that there probably won't be any compliance buyouts in the next CBA negotiations and I agree. I just wanted to point out the highlighted part.

It is actually the opposite. Since the buyouts don't count as part of the cap but still counts towards HRR, it actually takes money away from the other players.
albertGQ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 03:27 PM   #286
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Mangiapane is the other guy who might get moved. Not Weegar.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 03:30 PM   #287
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think so too, but I’m just passing on what I’ve been hearing
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 03:52 PM   #288
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
I'd be shocked if we see Weegar traded. Only way that happens is if he requests it because he wants to try to win somewhere else sooner.

Sure we may hear his name come up because teams are inquiring about him (who wouldn't), but I don't see us trading away the whole roster. Conroy seems eager to retool as quick as possible, ensuring we get NHL players not just picks in each deal, etc. Unless someone offers the moon I think Weegar plays out his contract here.

That's all besides the point that I think he sets a great example for the young guys to follow. Looks like he cares, plays hard, turns into good results. We need more Weegars not less.
I think the comment was made around Weegar asking to move. If Markstrom gets traded or guys like Rasmus say they want to test free agency and he gets moved, Weegar likely will not want to stick around at some point in the next 2 seasons.

Conroy might want a quick retool but if guys like Markstrom move and guys like Rasmus want out, he probably won't have a choice but continue to rebuild. This summer will probably tell us a lot and how this team starts next year will be a big factor. I bet Markstrom will be gone but most of the rest will be here for opening night. If they are near the bottom of the standings near the midpoint of next year, this retool will be a full rebuild.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 03:53 PM   #289
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
I think Mangiapane is the other guy who might get moved. Not Weegar.
I agree with this. My guess is Markstrom and Mangiapane get moved, Conroy will see how it goes as he has prospects to replace these guys. If it goes well, this is a retool. If they struggle next year more will go.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:56 AM   #290
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I agree with this. My guess is Markstrom and Mangiapane get moved, Conroy will see how it goes as he has prospects to replace these guys. If it goes well, this is a retool. If they struggle next year more will go.
That’s why I think Markstrom should be “injured” for the rest of the season and Coronato should get a lot of icetime. Coronato is Mangiapane’s replacement I think.

Play Wolf and Vladar 50/50 to see how they do.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:11 AM   #291
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn’t a scorched earth rebuild. Management isn’t going to move every veteran with value. They’re going to try to improve the team, not make it worse. Other than maybe Mangiapane, I can’t see any of the other vets like Weegar, Andersson, Kadri, or Coleman getting moved.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:38 AM   #292
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
This isn’t a scorched earth rebuild. Management isn’t going to move every veteran with value. They’re going to try to improve the team, not make it worse. Other than maybe Mangiapane, I can’t see any of the other vets like Weegar, Andersson, Kadri, or Coleman getting moved.
Unless they ask to be moved
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to All In Good Time For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2024, 10:42 AM   #293
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This team really looks quite good a lot of the time, especially when you consider the substantial amount of legit NHL experience they have ripped from the line up over the course of the last 9-10 months, and then replaced it with very raw/green players.

Makes me think they CAN actually turn this around quickly with some more shrewd moves and if a few key players develop properly over the next little while.

But then they play three games like the recent ones against FLA, CAR and COL and that thought gets extinguished pretty quickly again. Plus the fact that it looks like they do not have a true #1C or true #1D in the pipeline and then you think it's going to be a total slog for 5+ years.

Going to be interesting to see how this rebuild/retool/whatever go for the next season or two. Hopefully they don't get caught in the mushy middle like usual haha
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:52 AM   #294
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fix the defense, two good centers, and this team looks not bad.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 11:05 AM   #295
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I could see Weegar requesting a trade or letting it known he would welcome a change if this team is in a tank position. He signed here thinking he was joining a team that was going to contend for the first several years of his deal.

The Flames are also likely planning a quick retool in time to compete when the new rink opens. The next 3 years in the old barn and tough times might not appeal to him though.

I could see something substantial with Ottawa if that’s the case since they are looking for a major shakeup in the offseason. The Sens are not an ideal trade destination for Weegar in terms of team success but they do have a lot of solid pieces and it is his hometown
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 12:45 PM   #296
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by All In Good Time View Post
Unless they ask to be moved
Dosen't mean management needs/will move them.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 12:47 PM   #297
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Dosen't mean management needs/will move them.
True but if they asked, at this point, I’d venture a guess that it would be in everyone’s best interest to do so
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 01:04 PM   #298
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The last "rebuild" went surprisingly quick if I remember correctly.

Monahan debut season(Gaudreau debut last game ) - no playoffs
next season - playoffs- then miss playoffs (draft Tkachuk)

Tkachuk debut - playoffs

I thought it was 3 seasons of rebuild but turns out it only took 2 seasons to make the playoffs after trading Iggy. (the team with the old core with iggy did miss for 4 years until the trade)

In saying that I dont think we are gonna pick a Sean Monahan (who was great for his first few seasons as a flame) this summer, and I dont think we have a Johnny Gaudreau in the pipeline. Really that last rebuild was something of a Cinderella looking back, and with hindsight we did win just 2 playoff rounds with the old core.

Last edited by TheChief; 03-16-2024 at 01:12 PM.
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:13 PM   #299
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
The last "rebuild" went surprisingly quick if I remember correctly.

Monahan debut season(Gaudreau debut last game ) - no playoffs
next season - playoffs- then miss playoffs (draft Tkachuk)

Tkachuk debut - playoffs

I thought it was 3 seasons of rebuild but turns out it only took 2 seasons to make the playoffs after trading Iggy. (the team with the old core with iggy did miss for 4 years until the trade)

In saying that I dont think we are gonna pick a Sean Monahan (who was great for his first few seasons as a flame) this summer, and I dont think we have a Johnny Gaudreau in the pipeline. Really that last rebuild was something of a Cinderella looking back, and with hindsight we did win just 2 playoff rounds with the old core.
Last rebuild got the Flames 1 (or 2 depending how you define start of Rebuild) playoff series wins

I really hope we aim higher for the next rebuild and do it properly
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2024, 03:24 PM   #300
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Last rebuild got the Flames 1 (or 2 depending how you define start of Rebuild) playoff series wins

I really hope we aim higher for the next rebuild and do it properly
I hope so too but based on the new arena timeline it doesn't seem like it will end much different.

Hopefully some serious talent emerges out of somewhere for us.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote