Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2022, 12:27 PM   #281
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyway, we have discussed this before.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:38 PM   #282
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what it was, but the Flames always looked sloppy and rattled this past season against the Oilers - including the regular season, and including every game they won. Same thing happened with San Jose as well. LA would be #3 on my list of teams that seem to consistently throw Calgary off their gameplan.

Calgary allowed the Oilers to dictate the style of play and they looked uncomfortable on the ice as a whole. We can point the fingers at a handful of players, but I really thought it was the entire team other than Backlund.

Hopefully the new faces is enough to put a stop to it for this season. If not, then I hope Sutter figures something out. LA knows how to keep the Oilers in check. Colorado did it very well.

I do think that not having Tkachuk is a step in the right direction, as I thought he often became a bit of a distraction for the team, but he was hardly the biggest reason I thought. No idea what it was, but the Flames didn't play their game against the Oilers, the Sharks and often against LA. Hopefully that ends this season.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 01:25 PM   #283
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't know what it was, but the Flames always looked sloppy and rattled this past season against the Oilers - including the regular season, and including every game they won. Same thing happened with San Jose as well. LA would be #3 on my list of teams that seem to consistently throw Calgary off their gameplan.

Calgary allowed the Oilers to dictate the style of play and they looked uncomfortable on the ice as a whole. We can point the fingers at a handful of players, but I really thought it was the entire team other than Backlund.

Hopefully the new faces is enough to put a stop to it for this season. If not, then I hope Sutter figures something out. LA knows how to keep the Oilers in check. Colorado did it very well.

I do think that not having Tkachuk is a step in the right direction, as I thought he often became a bit of a distraction for the team, but he was hardly the biggest reason I thought. No idea what it was, but the Flames didn't play their game against the Oilers, the Sharks and often against LA. Hopefully that ends this season.
Re Oilers, few reasons for this IMO.

The most important of which was the lack of Flames depth down the middle. Lindholm-Backlund-broken Monahan-X wasn't good enough. Kadri solves this beautifully

Also Tkachuk was too slow to keep up to what was typically a run and gun game, and Gaudreau seemed to shrink with the increased physicality.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:37 PM   #284
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
It’s not one or the other, it’s not even one causing the other

It was both.

The Flames were running high in game 1 and for whatever reason Markstrom decided stopping goals was not important

That gave the Oilers all kind of confidence and the defense collapsed. By that time Markstrom was already dead.
Markstrom looked exhausted to me.

Maybe Sutter shouldn't have played him 75 times in the regular season.

Vladar is good enough to play 25+, I really hope he gets that many starts so Marky is fresh for the playoffs.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:44 PM   #285
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Allowing guys like McDavid, Kane, Draitsaitl, and even Hyman to skate into the zone at will is going to destroy any goalie's stats. These guys are some of the very best in the world at burying pucks.

And then you've the psychological affect of the poor defence. Goaltending is very much a position of rhythm. The Oilers smashed any kind of rhythm the Flames had.
Markstrom's numbers were pretty par for the course except for high danger chances. And the Flames gave a ton of high danger chances to their top players. Markstrom could have made more big saves. But the Flames never allowed that many against other teams. They needed tighten up team D and they did the opposite. The top line tried to run and gun.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:46 PM   #286
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Markstrom looked exhausted to me.

Maybe Sutter shouldn't have played him 75 times in the regular season.

Vladar is good enough to play 25+, I really hope he gets that many starts so Marky is fresh for the playoffs.
In what way did Markstrom look exhausted? Maybe he was, I just don't think it is easy to tell from the stands or through a TV screen. It's not like he was facing a high volume of shots in the playoffs, or seeing much activity in his own zone night after night.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:47 PM   #287
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
In what way did Markstrom look exhausted? Maybe he was, I just don't think it is easy to tell from the stands or through a TV screen. It's not like he was facing a high volume of shots in the playoffs, or seeing much activity in his own zone.

I honestly thought he was hurt, really looked to me he was labouring getting back to his feet in the back end of the series.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #288
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had to double double check that this was a Weegar thread….
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 02:01 PM   #289
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't liked how the Flames have looked vs the Oilers for years now since their big 2 joined their team. I have seen some games where the Flames play them well and the way they need to, but I've been unhappy with the majority of the games, including some games they've won. I don't know what it is, and the Oilers certainly have something to do with it, but the Flames just look unsure. This could be completely in my head.

I'd also say that they don't really play the way they do against the Oilers, when playing anyone else. This surprises me with a coach like Sutter, who stresses consistency and systems and playing the right way. It's one thing for a few players to completely abandon the system and style but for the entire team except for Backlund? There's more to this...
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #290
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Anyway, we have discussed this before.
cp in a nutshell
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #291
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

That game we played them 3-1 win I think on a back to back because of course its the Oilers, but we played a real solid game and gave them nothing. McDavid looked like a ghost. I think they get to hyped to play McDavid and get out position and start going goal for goal instead of playing our game.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:07 PM   #292
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Had to double double check that this was a Weegar thread….
Hey, if you want to discuss Weegar, take it to the Jankowski thread. Stay on topic!
Old 10-05-2022, 06:00 PM   #293
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
In what way did Markstrom look exhausted? Maybe he was, I just don't think it is easy to tell from the stands or through a TV screen. It's not like he was facing a high volume of shots in the playoffs, or seeing much activity in his own zone night after night.

It seems highly improbable to me that he went from exceptional in game 7 vs Dallas to exhausted immediately afterwards.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:38 PM   #294
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's only one reason Weegar hasn't signed.

Sam Bennett.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:03 PM   #295
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game 3 was what killed the Flames and the confidence of the defenders and Markstrom, who were already fighting it after the first two games. In half a period of game 3, the Oilers had 7 odd man ruahes generated mostly out of the neutral zone, and scored on 4 of them.

That's a lot of breakdowns in one period, as well as some bad bounces, and the Oilers forwards cheating looking for those (and Flames got some opportunities the other way when the Oilers forward gambles didn't pay off)

Not Markstroms fault, he saved 3 others, in that period alone, but it kicked his confidence down a notch having to think to tighten up for defeated, low confidence defenders.

Last edited by browna; 10-05-2022 at 07:05 PM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote