Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2018, 11:08 AM   #2921
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
How do you know they didn’t use different criteria
The truth is you know next to nothing about what process they followed or decision criteria
I do know that whatever criteria they used, it resulted in the hiring of a coach that gave us two years of the worst hockey this franchise has ever seen. So perhaps a change in approach was called for.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #2922
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You guys honestly don’t think this sort of stuff is a secret? That these guys don’t have these conversations? Don’t go to clinics with each other and run in similar circles and that any of this is a closely guarded secret?

Again, it’s not an interview where these things are a surprise. How many people here know how Daryl works the media after a big win and after a big loss? How many here know how Daryl runs his team, how he sets them up for success?

If you’ve been paying attention, I’m betting a lot, and that’s from the perspective of a fan. Now imagine being in a league for 10 years where he’s one of the 30 guys doing a job. You don’t think you’d get an even better perspective?

Like, I get maybe there will be some high level platitude you might learn, but the grits and gravy is laid bare, these aren’t mystery boxes.

Again, I get it if we’re talking about a coach who is coming in from college or junior or the AHL, sure, but history is littered with coaches coming in without a big interview process, because most GMs know what they’re building, have an idea of what they need to support that, and go out and get it. If that don’t think the 95% of what they know about a guy is a fit, they’re not going to sit down to clear up the 5%.

Fine. Whatever.

I see it differently. At the NHL level you are dealing with a lot of different personalities, egos, etc. Being able to get them on the same page and performing at their best is not simple, it is quite involved. Every team is different and every coach is different. And just because he may have talked to or heard about how guys coach, he doesn’t have the insight you would get from seeing their work every day.

I think it is absurd to think you can’t learn something from a guy by having a detailed, focused conversation with him.

Frankly, I think there are other things that were factors for Treliving as well.

Either way, he hired the guy he wanted. Decisively and unapologetically.

And if Peters does not succeed, both heads should roll.

And if I was an owner, my window for him would be one (1) year. No playoffs, no job.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #2923
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I do know that whatever criteria they used, it resulted in the hiring of a coach that gave us two years of the worst hockey this franchise has ever seen. So perhaps a change in approach was called for.
And perhaps there was a change in approach
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #2924
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
I agree with the argument that Carolina has had a light schedule, but actually looking at the QOC (based on average points that the opposition achieved last year) for the month of October, Carolina and Calgary have had a similar quality of schedule. The below list ranks this easiest to hardest schedule (the number following each team is the average total points achieved by the opposition)

Boston Bruins 78.3
Columbus Blue Jackets 84.8
Pittsburgh Penguins 84.9
Los Angeles Kings 85.6
Anaheim Ducks 85.8
Tampa Bay Lightning 88.2
San Jose Sharks 89.3
Chicago Blackhawks 89.5
Montreal Canadiens 89.7
Colorado Avalanche 89.8
Nashville Predators 90.2
Winnipeg Jets 90.2
Florida Panthers 90.3
Arizona Coyotes 90.6
Toronto Maple Leafs 90.7
Dallas Stars 90.7
New York Rangers 91.2
St. Louis Blues 91.4
Vegas Golden Knights 91.4
Minnesota Wild 91.6
Calgary Flames 92.4
Carolina Hurricanes 92.9

Washington Capitals 93.1
Buffalo Sabres 93.6
Ottawa Senators 94.4
Vancouver Canucks 96.2
Philadelphia Flyers 96.5
Detroit Red Wings 98.3
New Jersey Devils 99.3
New York Islanders 99.4
Edmonton Oilers 102.5

**Statistics disclaimer, a team playing 5 really good teams and 5 really bad teams could have the same "average quality of opposition" as a team playing 10 mediocre teams.
Let me know when Carolina goes to china...goes west for two games, goes east for two games and then goes back west for two games and then back again.

Flames have probably put on more miles already than Carolina will before Christmas.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #2925
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Let me know when Carolina goes to china...goes west for two games, goes east for two games and then goes back west for two games and then back again.

Flames have probably put on more miles already than Carolina will before Christmas.
No one is arguing with that, I just found the quality of competition interesting as this does make a difference.

As you noted, it makes no sense to compare Calgary and Carolina, regardless of schedule. Carolina's success in this trade and coaching change will be measured based on where they finish relative to last year. Calgary's success in this trade will likewise be measured against last season. So far both are outperforming last year's start.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #2926
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Maybe the comparison is to picking cars to go to the race track with. There’s a couple cars that have won the race in the past and there’s the new race car that hasn’t done very well but you have a good feeling about.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #2927
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
And perhaps there was a change in approach

If there was, it certainly hasn’t translated into the one area that can’t be handwaved away with a “you don’t know!” Results in the standings.

So let’s hope Peters can orchestrate something this franchise hasn’t seen in decades - a miraculous turnaround from mediocre hockey. But so far his team has looked exactly how I expected it to.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #2928
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
If there was, it certainly hasn’t translated into the one area that can’t be handwaved away with a “you don’t know!” Results in the standings.

So let’s hope Peters can orchestrate something this franchise hasn’t seen in decades - a miraculous turnaround from mediocre hockey. But so far his team has looked exactly how I expected it to.
Maybe you're the smartest guy in the room!

Standings are the bottom line, but they're not the be all and end all of analysis when it comes to rosters and coaches in any organisation worth it's salt.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #2929
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Standings are the bottom line, but they're not the be all and end all of analysis when it comes to rosters and coaches in any organisation worth it's salt.

Or maybe I can form reasonable expectations and opinions based on the body of evidence available when he was hired. I could still turn out to be wrong and maybe Peters does turn out to be a diamond in the rough. But can we agree that the returns in this young season have not lived up to that?
Old 10-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #2930
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Yes. Peters’ time out calling is on point.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #2931
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Or maybe I can form reasonable expectations and opinions based on the body of evidence available when he was hired. I could still turn out to be wrong and maybe Peters does turn out to be a diamond in the rough. But can we agree that the returns in this young season have not lived up to that?
I don't think anyone is happy.

I've mentioned they give up too much on numerous occasions, ... something more specific than the standings.

So you look at Peters work in Carolina and his high danger is middle of the pack which a) says what's happening now isn't all on Peters and b) it is middle of the pack so it's an issue in what he does by extending the team in terms of zone time.

Right now there's likely a disconnect between what the coach wants and what the players are able to execute.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #2932
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

So far Peters' has been really good. I too was leery of the hire but have been really pleasantly surprised. I thought it was strange how there didn't seem to be a broader search or rumours of interviews when there were some great coaches on the market though too, I just didn't understand that thought process.

It's irrelevant though because Peters has done or said all the things I hoped Gulutzan would. For all the things I complained about Gulutzan, Peters has fixed all those problems. He demonstrates great leadership, uses tactics like timeouts or challenges properly, and most important rewards players who are playing well and demotes players who aren't (true meritocracy). He seems highly tuned into each and every game and he isn't afraid to call people on their BS in a way that doesn't embarrass them.

The most concerning thing for me today is that Peters is showing us that it's actually just that many of the players simply don't care enough or have that passion in them that is needed to be successful.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 10-28-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 02:30 PM   #2933
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

All I know is that if the team underperforms with Peters, Treliving is going down with the ship.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:40 PM   #2934
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
All I know is that if the team underperforms with Peters, Treliving is going down with the ship.

Sure hoping you know more than that because you don’t actually know that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #2935
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems a very logical conclusion. How may GMs get to make major trade-after-trade, and coach hire-after-hire? Treliving has been given two cracks at each. If he doesn't get this team to perform, then he should be shown the door.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #2936
FaFaFlamey
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I think you’re right. You can go through 3 coaches but soon it’s your job on the line. I like Tre and think he’s done a good job but I also know there’s only so much patience and so many 5 year plans.
FaFaFlamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #2937
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Seems a very logical conclusion. How may GMs get to make major trade-after-trade, and coach hire-after-hire? Treliving has been given two cracks at each. If he doesn't get this team to perform, then he should be shown the door.
Two strikes you're out?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #2938
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

Well most were consensus in thinking his moves this summer were solid so there’s most of the job description.

If it’s shown to be Peters fault then for sure he can’t fail in another coach.

If it’s a core issue and the elements of the core in question are players that were here before he arrived then you may have a surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #2939
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
I agree with the argument that Carolina has had a light schedule, but actually looking at the QOC (based on average points that the opposition achieved last year) for the month of October, Carolina and Calgary have had a similar quality of schedule. The below list ranks this easiest to hardest schedule (the number following each team is the average total points achieved by the opposition)

Boston Bruins 78.3
Columbus Blue Jackets 84.8
Pittsburgh Penguins 84.9
Los Angeles Kings 85.6
Anaheim Ducks 85.8
Tampa Bay Lightning 88.2
San Jose Sharks 89.3
Chicago Blackhawks 89.5
Montreal Canadiens 89.7
Colorado Avalanche 89.8
Nashville Predators 90.2
Winnipeg Jets 90.2
Florida Panthers 90.3
Arizona Coyotes 90.6
Toronto Maple Leafs 90.7
Dallas Stars 90.7
New York Rangers 91.2
St. Louis Blues 91.4
Vegas Golden Knights 91.4
Minnesota Wild 91.6
Calgary Flames 92.4
Carolina Hurricanes 92.9

Washington Capitals 93.1
Buffalo Sabres 93.6
Ottawa Senators 94.4
Vancouver Canucks 96.2
Philadelphia Flyers 96.5
Detroit Red Wings 98.3
New Jersey Devils 99.3
New York Islanders 99.4
Edmonton Oilers 102.5

**Statistics disclaimer, a team playing 5 really good teams and 5 really bad teams could have the same "average quality of opposition" as a team playing 10 mediocre teams.
Holy crap. I knew Edmonton had a bad schedule but I didnt see it on paper like that until now.

It looks like it was chosen by Calgarypuck.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #2940
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

BT has only hired 2 coaches....lots of GM's, at least in the past, have been given 3 or more.

Not saying that happens here, but it is far from unprecedented.