Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 06:59 PM   #2881
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
There is just no way to read your post without coming to the conclusion that you see the lives of police officers as being of far, far less value than not just the lives of the general public, but the lives of suspected criminals they're seeking to apprehend.
Well, there certainly is. As that wasn’t said at al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
They signed up for the dangerous job, not us. They should bear the brunt of the risk, not us. They should be willing to die in the line of duty to protect us, not the other way around.
There is risk with the job. I’d be the first to argue they deserve better compensation (in the States especially it seems), but the risk comes with the job. They shouldn’t be creating additional risk to the public.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:14 PM   #2882
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What does everyone else think of this? Honestly interested in the reaction to this view, particularly compared to some other posts in here.
I think it’s one of, if not the, worst takes I’ve ever read. And I’ve had some pretty ####ing miserable takes before

I can’t believe that someone would actually hold an opinion like that.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:21 PM   #2883
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah let’s be clear here.

I don’t hate cops.

I don’t want to see dead cops.

I like most police officers I meet.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad experience with CPS. Actually I can think of half a dozen good experiences with them. But then again I’m white.

When I say “cops” I clearly don’t mean all police officers worldwide. I mean the shoot first, judged by 12 than carried by 6, militarized blue wall of silence jerks who seem to have overwhelmingly been the types recruited by police forces

Not all cops who kill are inherently evil, training plays a major part. Obviously I don’t believe anyone who is a cop is born to kill.

Most importantly, it’s a sign of the respect i have for ALL HUMAN LIFE and how terrible unnecessary deaths are. The whole point of phrasing the statement in that fashion is to show the value (and cost) of our freedom. It’s meant to be jarring.

I first heard the phrase used by Jon Stewart, a NYC resident, who made reference to torture and 9/11. Think about how powerful that is. He legit could be a casualty if another 9/11 were to happen (these comments were obviously made years ago). So think about the respect Jon must have for human life if he’s willing to risk his own life to make sure an innocent man isn’t tortured to protect himself.

I feel the same way. I’d rather 1000 potential murderers go free than one innocent black man is killed by police. Even if one of those 1000 may do harm to me. (Some will argue I should have said this, they’re no different to me. Replace cop with regular civilian in my original phrase and all of a sudden it’s cool? Like wtf? isn’t it weird we think like that?)

And it offends people that I think cops should feel the same way? For their CHOSEN profession? I’m just a regular citizen and I seem to have a higher value on human life.

I only phrased the question the way I did in direct response to a purportedly common viewpoint among the militarized blue wall of silence jerks I referenced earlier that believe it’s BETTER THEM THAN ME. Meaning better a bunch of dead innocent black men than 1 dead cop.

So they treat life with so little respect but I’m the disgusting one? Yeah, gonna want to rethink your priorities here and evaluate who you’re actually siding with. (Hint: it’s the cops who kill black men at an alarming rate and have a total disregard the sanctity of human life, you know, the #######s that have dominated the news beating up old men, killing innocent black people and littering social media with their ties to white supremacy). It’s not that black and white obviously, many people who are anti torture don’t agree with Jon and just because you disagree with me, I’m not gonna say you’re racist. But I was responding to a post about cops who would rather 1000 dead innocent civilians than 1 dead cop (to use a similar statement to mine). I’m happy the side I chose.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 06-14-2020 at 08:10 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 08:07 PM   #2884
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
The guy is passed out in a drive thru smelling of alcohol and incapable of forming a sentence...and the cop asks him to drive his car over to a parking spot. I just really have to question this guy's training...

WTF. Why the heck would that office shoot him with his gun?? What do they lose by him running away? They have his car and his ID.

Un####ingbelievable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 09:00 PM   #2885
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah let’s be clear here.

I don’t hate cops.

I don’t want to see dead cops.

I like most police officers I meet.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad experience with CPS. Actually I can think of half a dozen good experiences with them. But then again I’m white.

When I say “cops” I clearly don’t mean all police officers worldwide. I mean the shoot first, judged by 12 than carried by 6, militarized blue wall of silence jerks who seem to have overwhelmingly been the types recruited by police forces

Not all cops who kill are inherently evil, training plays a major part. Obviously I don’t believe anyone who is a cop is born to kill.

Most importantly, it’s a sign of the respect i have for ALL HUMAN LIFE and how terrible unnecessary deaths are. The whole point of phrasing the statement in that fashion is to show the value (and cost) of our freedom. It’s meant to be jarring.

I first heard the phrase used by Jon Stewart, a NYC resident, who made reference to torture and 9/11. Think about how powerful that is. He legit could be a casualty if another 9/11 were to happen (these comments were obviously made years ago). So think about the respect Jon must have for human life if he’s willing to risk his own life to make sure an innocent man isn’t tortured to protect himself.

I feel the same way. I’d rather 1000 potential murderers go free than one innocent black man is killed by police. Even if one of those 1000 may do harm to me. (Some will argue I should have said this, they’re no different to me. Replace cop with regular civilian in my original phrase and all of a sudden it’s cool? Like wtf? isn’t it weird we think like that?)

And it offends people that I think cops should feel the same way? For their CHOSEN profession? I’m just a regular citizen and I seem to have a higher value on human life.

I only phrased the question the way I did in direct response to a purportedly common viewpoint among the militarized blue wall of silence jerks I referenced earlier that believe it’s BETTER THEM THAN ME. Meaning better a bunch of dead innocent black men than 1 dead cop.

So they treat life with so little respect but I’m the disgusting one? Yeah, gonna want to rethink your priorities here and evaluate who you’re actually siding with. (Hint: it’s the cops who kill black men at an alarming rate and have a total disregard the sanctity of human life, you know, the #######s that have dominated the news beating up old men, killing innocent black people and littering social media with their ties to white supremacy). It’s not that black and white obviously, many people who are anti torture don’t agree with Jon and just because you disagree with me, I’m not gonna say you’re racist. But I was responding to a post about cops who would rather 1000 dead innocent civilians than 1 dead cop (to use a similar statement to mine). I’m happy the side I chose.

Your post was actually quite clear the first time around, imo. But this is a great clarification as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #2886
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 06-14-2020, 09:44 PM   #2887
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

Man, watching that is absolutely infuriating.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:51 PM   #2888
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
WTF. Why the heck would that office shoot him with his gun?? What do they lose by him running away? They have his car and his ID.

Un####ingbelievable.
Ya I can't understand why cops are so quick to shoot in these situations. Keep chasing. Call back up. Like you say they have his vehicle and identification in the worst case scenario that they do lose him. I know there are a group of people who think a person deserves anything that happens because of poor decisions but I think everyone has made some dumb/poor decisions in their lives and most of the time you get away with it.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:04 PM   #2889
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What a moron. The scary part of it all is that could have easily turned ugly and it would have been spun that he didn't comply, was aggressive, had a "weapon" and somehow being harassed and killed over absolutely nothing was justified.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #2890
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
100% I’m dead if that’s me.

My next response after the student asks if he’s under arrest or done anything illegal at the beginning would have been “then #### off” and I would have gone about my day. No way I stay that calm. Even after he still keeps his hands visible near the end. But then again I’m white, so I didn’t grow up fearing police.

Like where do these psychopaths get off? Oh right, because tons of people out there think he should have complied because “police”. What a joke.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #2891
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Man, watching that is absolutely infuriating.
I watched that video about a year ago. The sad thing is there are millions before it and thousands after that are equally as maddening. It makes it clear even from afar that there's really no end to the corruption and racism and just lousy training in police departments.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 10:54 PM   #2892
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
100% I’m dead if that’s me.

My next response after the student asks if he’s under arrest or done anything illegal at the beginning would have been “then #### off” and I would have gone about my day. No way I stay that calm. Even after he still keeps his hands visible near the end. But then again I’m white, so I didn’t grow up fearing police.

Like where do these psychopaths get off? Oh right, because tons of people out there think he should have complied because “police”. What a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
But also, black people...we've talked about this from your end too. Don't give them a reason to shoot you either. It doesn't excuse their behavior in any way, but you know what's likely to happen when you resist arrest and attempt to fire something at an officer. It's like getting mad at an alligator for biting your hand when you stick it in their mouth.

C'mon black people, we've talked about this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 11:39 PM   #2893
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Man, what did the cop think was happening there? The guy trespassed in order to keep the place clean and tidy? Wouldn't it be just really embarrassing to call 5 of your colleagues away from their duties to deal with this nonsense? What a dumbass.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:09 AM   #2894
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Man, what did the cop think was happening there? The guy trespassed in order to keep the place clean and tidy? Wouldn't it be just really embarrassing to call 5 of your colleagues away from their duties to deal with this nonsense? What a dumbass.
Man trespass with intent to clean is a growing problem in the US, you have to nip it in the bud or next thing you know you have Rasta's with power washers taking over the whole neighbourhood
Old 06-15-2020, 12:27 AM   #2895
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was racial profiling at its finest. Textbook one might say.

I am really glad that student didn't comply. And you can see that it's training, except its not lack of training, its precise provocation training meant to get "suspects" riled. Rat in a corner so to speak. Then you get your "just cause". And just like that, another Black man killed by police.

The system is racist and rigged. Why can't people see this is not just one bad cop. Its not about good cops either. ITS THE SYSTEM. It's specifically tailored to do exactly what that video displayed. That police officer wasn't a vet, he was young, likely a green horn. All his experience came from the training and academy.

A training approved by government, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say developed and sold by some very intelligent, very woven into the fabric of "special interest" group who keep white linens in their wardrobe.

Sorry, slight tangent. My issue has never been about one bad cops or complicit good cops, its always been about the government and how easy it is to erode it from within.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 12:56 AM   #2896
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Autopsy report on the Rayshard Brooks shooting, two shots in the back
Old 06-15-2020, 04:58 AM   #2897
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Old 06-15-2020, 06:18 AM   #2898
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I took some time to reflect after the extremely negative reaction to my comments yesterday and I have some thoughts, so bear with me.

I didn't really understand at first why people would be so upset with what I said, but after a moment I came to the realization that it was obvious victim blaming, although that wasn't my intention. It's a sad reality that black people have to be concerned about any interaction with the police, but it's the reality all the same...hopefully for not much longer. I can accept that my thoughts were condescending and grossly insensitive, and for that I apologize. I won't attempt to double down on those thoughts or say they were the right take, because obviously they weren't, and that's the problem. Let me elaborate.

For those that don't know me well, I, and my whole family, do regular charity work within the Florence Fuller Foundation. This is a local charity that works to fill in the gaps in education and opportunity for those living near or below the poverty line. The work provides after school care and extra education for children of poor families, mostly people who are the working poor. The population of students is disproportionately black and latino, and so I am familiar with the problems in those communities

When I teach, I am constantly educating students on economic and social disparity in America, and how it affects minority communities much more than white communities. The school I teach at prides itself on an extremely diverse population of students from a variety of ethnic and economic backgrounds, not to mention a large international population.

When I discuss social justice with students, some of these exact topics come up, and the words I said yesterday have been regularly said to me by my black students, and at first I was surprised, but it is a common thought process in the black community because it's necessary for survival. And that is the problem right there. It shouldn't be necessary for survival. It shouldn't even occur to someone that their life might be in danger for a routine stop, but it is. However, it's not my place to say those things because I don't experience this myself.

I think we in the white community have a tendency to try to be paternalistic to minority communities. We think that somehow we need to save them, but that's the wrong perspective. All we have to do is be allies and advocates.

I look at my comments and I see that paternalism and insensitivity. It's not appropriate for me to say "hey, try not to get shot", but rather the discussion should pivot to saying "hey, this is horrible. How can I help?"

Just one last point: It can be hard for any of us to see how we could be part of the problem, and yesterday was a moment for me to see that clearly in myself. I consider myself to be quite progressive and sensitive to issues, but even I am not perfect and have terrible takes at times. We all do, and when people call us out it's important to stop, reflect, and listen. If enough of us do that and take it seriously, I think long-lasting change can happen, but it takes a conversation. Keep having conversations, and keep listening to each other.

Thanks for letting me air my thoughts.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #2899
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #2900
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This cop is a god damn moron and a glimpse into what is plaguing the US right now. I can't believe this video. So glad I dont live down there, I know Canada isnt perfect but its definitely better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread