Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #2821
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I also wanted to add, how many police officers are eligible to vote? I think it's a big chunk. They'll will vote for Trump or not vote if the Democrats keep threatening to defund them or keep calling them white nationalist para-military forces.
That's right, very good, GirlySports.

On the other hand, hopefully Latinos vote against Trump because he calls them rapists. Hopefully reporters can sway voters away from Trump since he calls them the enemy of the people. Maybe disabled people will vote against Trump since he mocks them. Maybe Muslims will vote against Trump since he incites hate against them. Maybe African Americans will vote against Trumps since he can't even say three little words: BLM. Maybe female voters who don't like to be grabbed by their crotch will vote against him. And the list goes on.

Or are you saying Biden should adopt more Republican values such as the police being infallible to appeal to Republican voters that wouldn't vote for him, anyway? Sorry, just not clear on WTF you're talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #2822
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The Tenet's are a little different, they're basically the cornerstone definition of the beliefs that you should live by.

The rules, are more like the 11 commandments.

You have to believe in the Tenets, the rules are a guideline or definition of how you can best follow those Tenets.

When you combine the Tenet's with the Rules and then throw in what Satanism considers to be sins.

Stupidity
Pretentiousness
Solipsism
Self-deceit
Herd Conformity
Lack of Perspective
Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies
Counterproductive Pride
Lack of Aesthetics

Its not a bad ideology to fall into, basically the whole thing is don't put yourself in a position to be stupid or exploited, what's mine is mine, put yourself ahead of all others, and don't lie to yourself. Do whatever you want to do, just be prepared for the consequences.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law" - Aleister Crowley
Old 08-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #2823
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
  1. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
Mating signal?
Old 08-26-2020, 01:21 PM   #2824
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Those seem really dumb.

I like The Satanic Temple's tenets better:

I
One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason

II
The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

III
One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

IV
The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.

V
Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.

VI
People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.

VII
Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
Holy ####! I'm a Satanist!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #2825
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
The Tenet's are a little different, they're basically the cornerstone definition of the beliefs that you should live by.

The rules, are more like the 11 commandments.

You have to believe in the Tenets, the rules are a guideline or definition of how you can best follow those Tenets.

When you combine the Tenet's with the Rules and then throw in what Satanism considers to be sins.

Stupidity
Pretentiousness
Solipsism
Self-deceit
Herd Conformity
Lack of Perspective
Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies
Counterproductive Pride
Lack of Aesthetics

Its not a bad ideology to fall into, basically the whole thing is don't put yourself in a position to be stupid or exploited, what's mine is mine, put yourself ahead of all others, and don't lie to yourself. Do whatever you want to do, just be prepared for the consequences.
No, you're talking about The Church of Satan, which is a separate entity from The Satanic Temple. The Satanic Temple - the tenets of which I quoted - "dismisses the Church of Satan as irrelevant..."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #2826
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Mating signal?
Old 08-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #2827
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It's a bizarre take to assume police don't always overwhelmingly back the GOP, because they do. Not like they were mostly backing Dems and then this year happened and all of a sudden the Dems have a problem with a loss of a strong voting block. Police is probably the only union that doesn't back Dems (other than maybe sports players unions).
I think the leadership and unions do but I also think that, like in everything, individuals have become more progressive in this recent time. I'm afraid that has been lost with the amount of piling on I'm hearing.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #2828
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Mating signal?

Devil horns hand signal while wagging your tongue

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #2829
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If Trump losses he can try again in 4 years

scary thought
I’d bet money Trump won’t be alive in four years. His life clock is ticking. His demon spawn, however.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #2830
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’d bet money Trump won’t be alive in four years. His life clock is ticking. His demon spawn, however.
I hope when he does go, it's like that final scene in Ghost where the baddie gets dragged to hell.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #2831
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I hope when he does go, it's like that final scene in Ghost where the baddie gets dragged to hell.
I don’t remember the scene. Was it slow, painful and solitary with no loved ones around. That’s my wish for Trump.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #2832
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I don’t remember the scene. Was it slow, painful and solitary with no loved ones around. That’s my wish for Trump.
I get the impression that at least this part is already his day-to-day experience.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #2833
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
"Basketball American"

Sounds legit.
I too dreamed of being a baseball.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #2834
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
538 gave Trump a 29% chance of winning on eve of 2016 election. Not much has changed.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...t-anyone-else/
Yup. And on August 26 they gave Trump a 16.3% chance

https://web.archive.org/web/20160826...tion-forecast/

So a LOT can happen between now and November.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #2835
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also wanted to add, how many police officers are eligible to vote? I think it's a big chunk. They'll will vote for Trump or not vote if the Democrats keep threatening to defund them or keep calling them white nationalist para-military forces.
News flash: Police pretty well vote Republican as a block. That's not a threat. Those officers that vote Democrat are already the ones who complain internally about departments wasting money on the militarization of the force. They are few and far between. There are more white nationalists or three percenters in most forces than there are Democrats, so your observation is not one that moves any needle in any direction.

Quote:
I think the leadership and unions do but I also think that, like in everything, individuals have become more progressive in this recent time. I'm afraid that has been lost with the amount of piling on I'm hearing.
Nope. MOst have become more radicalized and in favor of militarization of the force. Violence is their best form of protection and they are trained pretty much exclusively to use that violence as a means to "keep the peace."

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 08-26-2020 at 03:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #2836
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
69% Biden seems like more than slightly...hopefully its just a convention boost. I think people are being extra careful not to say "Trump can't win" this time
Biden's numbers among independents are pretty alarming. There was a YouGov poll recently that had Trump +10 among independent voters.

This is the risk you run when your campaign is heavy on "orange man bad" and light on substantive policy proposals. It gets the MSNBC wine moms and Never Trumpers all fired up, but does little to drive up enthusiasm with anyone else.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:51 PM   #2837
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Biden's numbers among independents are pretty alarming. There was a YouGov poll recently that had Trump +10 among independent voters.

This is the risk you run when your campaign is heavy on "orange man bad" and light on substantive policy proposals. It gets the MSNBC wine moms and Never Trumpers all fired up, but does little to drive up enthusiasm with anyone else.
You mean this one?

https://today.yougov.com/topics/poli...ver-trump-poll

Biden +9? Independents +4?

God your schtick has gotten old.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #2838
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
News flash: Police pretty well vote Republican as a block. That's not a threat. Those officers that vote Democrat are already the ones who complain internally about departments wasting money on the militarization of the force. They are few and far between. There are more white nationalists or three percenters in most forces than there are Democrats, so your observation is not one that moves any needle in any direction.

Nope. MOst have become more radicalized and in favor of militarization of the force. Violence is their best form of protection and they are trained pretty much exclusively to use that violence as a means to "keep the peace."

I read a number that 85% supported Trump in 2016, give or take. So while that may be a big number, we don't know for sure and with the disastrous Trump administration just past, it gives some food for thought. I don't believe any group totally votes in a block.

Take the police as individuals. There are women, there are minorities, there are young new recruits. If you take the premise that people in society, as a whole, are understanding more social issues, are better educated, and are being more progressive. That microcosm exists in the police force too.

Is there toxicity? yes. Is there racism? yes. It will take a long time to undo that. But there were also police forces trying to change but the George Floyd killing turned it all on it's head. Now you, the police officer, are being thrown into a group and piled on. When you, that individual, go into the voting booth, you may think about these things. You may think about being defunded.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #2839
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You mean this one?

https://today.yougov.com/topics/poli...ver-trump-poll

Biden +9? Independents +4?

God your schtick has gotten old.
I got the pollster wrong. My bad.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1297621998193999875

EDIT: And yes I know it's a MAGA account, but the source is linked in one of the follow-up tweets. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eHT...aV3QeYZVx/view)

Last edited by rubecube; 08-26-2020 at 04:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #2840
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I read a number that 85% supported Trump in 2016, give or take. So while that may be a big number, we don't know for sure and with the disastrous Trump administration just past, it gives some food for thought. I don't believe any group totally votes in a block.
Last election was 84% Trump, 8% Clinton, 5% Libertarian, and 3% other.

Quote:
Take the police as individuals. There are women, there are minorities, there are young new recruits. If you take the premise that people in society, as a whole, are understanding more social issues, are better educated, and are being more progressive. That microcosm exists in the police force too.
No, it really doesn't. You're assuming that the police think and behave like everyone else. They don't, because they aren't. Police are recruited from a very select pool within the population, and then trained to amplify specific character traits while suppressing others. They are extremely tribal and conservative. Those that don't learn to adapt to the tribal mentality are run off. That's the cold harsh reality of American law enforcement.

Quote:
Is there toxicity? yes. Is there racism? yes. It will take a long time to undo that. But there were also police forces trying to change but the George Floyd killing turned it all on it's head. Now you, the police officer, are being thrown into a group and piled on. When you, that individual, go into the voting booth, you may think about these things. You may think about being defunded.
It wouldn't change a damn thing. Cops are predominantly hardcore conservatives. I'm talking out on the fringe conservatives. Even the ones you would think are likely to be liberal (gay officers) are still hardcore conservatives and vote Republican. Nothing breaks the wall and changes the the thin blue line in that regard. They are a brotherhood and would never turn on a brother or vote against another brother. Trump is a brother to them because he enables them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread