Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2022, 03:51 PM   #2661
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah even the US Best Buy looks like it was only restocked once on the 19th.

Lots of rumours that the AMD card could compete in rasterization, and as long as its ray tracing is good enough to be playable then might be a good option especially if they undercut AMD in price.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:33 PM   #2662
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah even the US Best Buy looks like it was only restocked once on the 19th.

Lots of rumours that the AMD card could compete in rasterization, and as long as its ray tracing is good enough to be playable then might be a good option especially if they undercut AMD in price.
If nvidia is purposefully withholding stock then AMD could be in a good position to make a dent. $2200 for a GPU is very expensive and, like you mentioned, if AMD can get close to 4K/120 rasterized (highest settings) or even 4K/60 w/ Raytracing (highest settings) AND they have a different power connection they might steal a bunch of customers away from nvidia.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:18 PM   #2663
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1585728173895200768

I just saw this on Twitter. I was considering going with a 4090 when I build my new computer in about a month. I have a 1440p monitor and know there's people who say getting a 4090 for 1440p isn't worth it but I also plan on gaming on a 4K tv for games that are suited better for a controller.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:12 PM   #2664
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I'm going to grab a 5800x3d to upgrade my 3900xt. Bad idea? I'm not going to do a full upgrade for a year or more so I think this will be a good boost in the gaming department.
Looks like I’m out of luck. They slashed the price by over $100 and now it’s out of stock everywhere.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 08:52 AM   #2665
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1585728173895200768

I just saw this on Twitter. I was considering going with a 4090 when I build my new computer in about a month. I have a 1440p monitor and know there's people who say getting a 4090 for 1440p isn't worth it but I also plan on gaming on a 4K tv for games that are suited better for a controller.
Based on Igor's teardown, it seems the fault is in the (third party manufactured) 4xPCIe > 16pin adapter NVIDIA supplied.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/adapter-o...in-breakpoint/

None of the native 16-pin standard PSUs have had this issue.

I'd like to say I'm good, but I literally haven't used it since Tuesday since i was away for a conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 10-28-2022 at 09:00 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:17 PM   #2666
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

4090 at Bestbuy

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...641744&irgwc=1
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2022, 07:28 PM   #2667
photon

Exp:

Wow still says 8 left. And I do kinda like the curvy look of that one.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:47 PM   #2668
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow still says 8 left. And I do kinda like the curvy look of that one.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2022, 11:24 PM   #2669
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Arghh....I had a feeling that they'd be in stock today because they had a few MSI and Asus cards come in. Serves me right for turning off notifications for this thread! And nowinstock.com doesn't have this model listed...but they have all the other models Best Buy is selling.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:41 PM   #2670
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Arghh....I had a feeling that they'd be in stock today because they had a few MSI and Asus cards come in. Serves me right for turning off notifications for this thread! And nowinstock.com doesn't have this model listed...but they have all the other models Best Buy is selling.
There's 5 left. I thought about it but I've never heard of ZOTAC before and I'm not sure spending $2500 on a video card is a good idea.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:48 PM   #2671
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
There's 5 left. I thought about it but I've never heard of ZOTAC before and I'm not sure spending $2500 on a video card is a good idea.
They've been making Nvidia based video cards for many generations now, generally as a lower cost alternative to the likes of Asus. They also have a Canadian RMA location.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2022, 06:22 AM   #2672
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zotac is terrible, both in my anecdotal experience, and online general reputation. Absolutely the last brand I would buy outside of some obscure European and Chinese AiB partners.

Quote:
Old 11-01-2022, 09:03 AM   #2673
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Zotac is terrible, both in my anecdotal experience, and online general reputation. Absolutely the last brand I would buy outside of some obscure European and Chinese AiB partners.
Care to share more? I bought one last night. I couldn’t find much about the particular model that BB is selling but if I’m going to have lots of trouble I can return/cancel the order.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:17 AM   #2674
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just bad coolers, poor pad seating in the few times ive repadded/repasted them, bad customer support, etc.

Chances are still above 90% you won't have an issue, but if you have to troubleshoot it it's absolutely a bigger headache than the larger brands. It also is more likely to have a shorter lifespan due to the aforementioned worse cooling/padding/pasting.

I have not seen how good/bad their 4090s are however, most of my experience is with 9xx/1xxx and 3xxx series Zotacs

Quote:
Old 11-01-2022, 12:38 PM   #2675
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Just bad coolers, poor pad seating in the few times ive repadded/repasted them, bad customer support, etc.

Chances are still above 90% you won't have an issue, but if you have to troubleshoot it it's absolutely a bigger headache than the larger brands. It also is more likely to have a shorter lifespan due to the aforementioned worse cooling/padding/pasting.

I have not seen how good/bad their 4090s are however, most of my experience is with 9xx/1xxx and 3xxx series Zotacs
Okay cool. Thank you. I might just not open it and wait to see if I can get an MSI or FE in the next few weeks.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:41 PM   #2676
photon

Exp:

I want to keep my current case it's either an FE or the Suprim water cooled one for me.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:46 PM   #2677
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I want to keep my current case it's either an FE or the Suprim water cooled one for me.
FE was in stock at Bestbuy a few minutes ago. I put it in my cart and stopped for now. Figured I'd wait a little for now.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:00 PM   #2678
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
FE was in stock at Bestbuy a few minutes ago. I put it in my cart and stopped for now. Figured I'd wait a little for now.
I got an email for a price alert on it about 20 minutes ago but didn't see it until 10 minutes later and it was already sold out. I think if I did go with a 4090 that would be the one since it seems to be the cheapest. Then I would sell my 2070 Super to offset some of the cost.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:38 PM   #2679
photon

Exp:

Ah probably good thing I didn't see it, I'd be too tempted to just order it instead of waiting lol.

How are you checking the stock? Is there something better out there than https://www.nowinstock.net/ca/comput...idia/rtx4090/?
Old 11-02-2022, 02:58 PM   #2680
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

nowinstock is what I'm using. I just signed up though last week and this was the first alert I got.

I'm planning on finally building a new machine at the end of the month during Black Friday. I can afford to build a beast if I wanted to but I also don't want to be stupid and get a bunch of parts I don't really need.

I'm going to be using it for 3D art and doing alot of work in Unreal 5 so that might make getting a 4090 more justifiable rather than if I was just using it for gaming.