Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2022, 06:32 AM   #241
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Dunno if this has been shared or not, also dunno what to think of it.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1598545261747666945
I like that he's accepting responsibility but he doesn't sound like a guy that's close to turning the corner as his confidence is clearly shaken and it's possible this goes back to the Oilers series. I assume the Flames goaltending team are working on the mental aspect here but it's not a good look. Mike Smith would never accept responsibility but one thing about him was that he was overly confident even when he was bad and as with any top athlete a degree of cockiness is never a bad thing. Markstrom sounds defeated.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 06:37 AM   #242
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

There just is not enough there on this team to consistently win. Thought that Huberdeau had one of his best games so hopefully he is turning it around. The 4th line is atrocious, I know they are not the reason the Flames lost, but they are just bad at hockey. Finally, I think the Flames are discovering that the shiny toy is not always that shiny.

Nazem Kadri - on pace for 29 goals, 25 assists for 54 points

Sean Monahan - on pace for 18 goals, 39 assists for 57 points
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:39 AM   #243
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
There just is not enough there on this team to consistently win. Thought that Huberdeau had one of his best games so hopefully he is turning it around. The 4th line is atrocious, I know they are not the reason the Flames lost, but they are just bad at hockey. Finally, I think the Flames are discovering that the shiny toy is not always that shiny.

Nazem Kadri - on pace for 29 goals, 25 assists for 54 points

Sean Monahan - on pace for 18 goals, 39 assists for 57 points
To be fair to Kadri that's kind of career pace for him and probably what we should expect as last season was an outlier. I don't think Monahan would have had that success in Calgary as he would have got caught up in the suck like the rest of this team. The teams issues here are deeper than one or two players as there's just something not right with the team.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:42 AM   #244
Scooter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Markstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I get it

But HDC are calculated based on opportunity, not execution

The count has literally nothing to do with shot placement, which is what the goalie actually has to deal with

As a goalie, I could care less where a shot comes from. My problem is where it is going
As a goalie you have no idea where it's going unless you see it on the blade of the stick where it's coming from!
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:47 AM   #245
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blaming the loss on fans for not being loud is the funniest thing I've read on this site, possibly ever. Hockey is entertainment and it is the team's job to entertain the customer. The game the Flames are playing this year is NOT entertaining. It is getting to the point where I would rather engage in other forms of entertainment than subject myself to the boring dump-and-chase, ring-around-the-boards, take-low-percentage-shots-from-the-outside garbage Sutter has this team playing. Sharknado 4 is more entertaining than most games played by the Flames this year. You want to see fanbase get loud, play some entertaining hockey. The #### on display right now is USDA cutter grader, which is not considered suitable for human consumption. The talent is there, the game plan isn't.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:04 AM   #246
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

We keep up this talk of fans not being loud enough, and we'll start dropping tier talk.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 07:04 AM   #247
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

End of the day - it's like most 1 goal games - flames lost the special teams battle. Need to be more dangerous on the PP and capitalize.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:34 AM   #248
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting game, flames show that they just don't have very many scorers...

Specialty teams was difference

Flames powerplay had possession, however it never seemed like they had any quality chances. Everything was from the outside.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:40 AM   #249
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginla View Post
Their goal scorers needed fewer opportunities to finish, pretty simple.

It works both ways and Markstrom isn't the only problem.
No it doesn’t. When your goaltender consistently has a save percentage under .900. Their goaltender stole the game for them. Ours was below average.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:40 AM   #250
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
That’s not good…he’s just defeated and sounds checked out. I really hope the Flames can get a good sports psychologist for Markie. He’s a hell of a goalie when he’s on but is wallowing in misery right now, he’s gotta break out of that somehow and regain some confidence.
No he doesn’t. He sounds like a guy who knows it was obviously a stupid play. He didn’t say there wasn’t anything he could do better. He sounded focused on moving forward.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:45 AM   #251
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree you can’t blame the fans. Watching the Flames right now is as exciting as watching paint dry. If the team can’t play well enough to get fans into the game, then they don’t deserve cheers.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #252
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I like that he's accepting responsibility but he doesn't sound like a guy that's close to turning the corner as his confidence is clearly shaken and it's possible this goes back to the Oilers series. I assume the Flames goaltending team are working on the mental aspect here but it's not a good look. Mike Smith would never accept responsibility but one thing about him was that he was overly confident even when he was bad and as with any top athlete a degree of cockiness is never a bad thing. Markstrom sounds defeated.
Yep. Poor play is one thing, but to flat out say you're bad also effects your teammates. How confident are they next time out with him back there? And that was likely already an issue.

Last edited by Toonage; 12-02-2022 at 07:58 AM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 07:55 AM   #253
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nm. Already discussed
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:58 AM   #254
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also any fan from his couch calling out fans that paid $$$ to see the game live should STFU. Any fan that doesn't choose to support the team with their wallet should be thankful that others are paying large sums of money to watch this team. These games are expensive to attend and I have major respect to fans that continue to shell out their money to see this product.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 07:59 AM   #255
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

This place has become too unbearable, sorry if the Flames can't score on a 3 on 1, it's not Markstrom's fault they lost. It's like a bunch of 13 year olds mad at the goalie for losing.

Has Markstrom lost games for Calgary yes, tonight wasn't that night. Can't win many games when you score one goal, if a Flames loss makes you that upset maybe find a new hobby for now.

I'm happy for Monahan and the night he had he deserved it.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:12 AM   #256
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
You do you
I have all the time in the world for people who take accountability
Mike Smith on the other hand never owned a poor performance like Markstrom
I’m rooting for him to rebound
Yeah, hard to not feel bad for Markstrom. Sucks watching him go through this now, but it's pretty clear that nobody is as hard on him as he is on himself. #### happens, life happens, and he knows all the pressure in the city is on him to fix it.

Yes he's rich AF, but hard not to feel for the guy. As much as I want to see Vladar get a solid stretch of starts, a bounce-back Markstrom easily steers this team in the right direction. If Sutter is going to force him to be the #1, let's hope he figures it out sooner rather than later.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:20 AM   #257
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it our goaltending coaching? Marky has devolved into Mike Smith-level puck handling decision making in the last year or so. Wonder if there is correlation to Smith doing the same
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:25 AM   #258
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
Honestly at this point I’d rather call up Wolf and just have Markstrom watch from the box for a while. They can’t get out of his contract but they also can’t afford to keep playing him and dropping points.
Wolf totally would have won this game 1-0
Old 12-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #259
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
As much as I want to see Vladar get a solid stretch of starts, a bounce-back Markstrom easily steers this team in the right direction..
They're not mutually exclusive events, though. Back in 2019, when we finished second in the NHL and first in the west, Rittich was effectively our starter for the majority of the season with Smith crapping the bed. Smith found his game after reduced usage going into the playoffs, not in December.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:30 AM   #260
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

These people clamoring for 3 or 4 call ups....the team CANT do that at this point.

They have ONE roster spot available unless a bunch of guys are waived and sent down, which simply is not going to happen. No reason that Phillips or whomever cant be called up for a look, but beyond that the roster limits AND salary cap come into play.