Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2021, 08:46 AM   #241
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how much the leadership and expected mentoring from successful fellow Finns , Aho and Teravainen, played into offer-sheeting KK.

A lot, I would suspect.

I believe it is a smart move by Hurricanes. KK has big upside, IMO.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #242
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
I wonder how much the leadership and expected mentoring from successful fellow Finns , Aho and Teravainen, played into offer-sheeting KK.

A lot, I would suspect.

I believe it is a smart move by Hurricanes. KK has big upside, IMO.
In addition, this might influence Kotkaniemi to sign long-term below his new QO.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:03 AM   #243
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

KK is a stupid acronym for Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

That is all.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:10 AM   #244
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like this move for the revenge factor and think it is an offer sheet that might actually work. Lots of risk for the Canes but if their pro scouts believe Kotkaniemi can take some huge steps forward and perhaps if they have a 5x5 extension lined up it works out for them.

I like the Canes roster and their chance to be a playoff team next year so the pick compensation is totally fine. I just love the revenge factor though it is great
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #245
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Montreal fans will be happy to take the picks after he signs such a troll-style offer sheet. Habs fans to Bergevin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #246
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Canes Getting Kotkaniemi to be their #4 C (Aho, Trocheck, Staal) or their #3LW has impact on former Flame Josh Lievo. It will really be a challenge to get him off the the 4th line.

The Canes 3rd line Staal 6 M Kotkaniemi 6,100,035 and Jesper Fast 2 M will likely be the highest priced 3rd line in the league. 14.1 and 35 bucks

Although the Flames going with Lucic 5.25 Monahan 6.375 and Dube 2.3 comes close with 13.925 If you add in the the .750 M the Oilers are paying Lucic it moves the Flames 3rd line back into top spot.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:44 AM   #247
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, the Canes totally offer sheeted KK with Leivo in mind
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:49 AM   #248
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I like this move for the revenge factor and think it is an offer sheet that might actually work. Lots of risk for the Canes but if their pro scouts believe Kotkaniemi can take some huge steps forward and perhaps if they have a 5x5 extension lined up it works out for them.

I like the Canes roster and their chance to be a playoff team next year so the pick compensation is totally fine. I just love the revenge factor though it is great
Somehow you are okay with a 5x5 for Kotkaniemi and some people want Mangiapane to sign a 5x5 with the Flames.

One of these has to be wrong.

If KK is worth 5M extension then the Mangiapane starts above 7M.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:51 AM   #249
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Yes, the Canes totally offer sheeted KK with Leivo in mind
They saw what happened with the Flames when Leivo had to play higher in the lineup
Old 08-30-2021, 09:52 AM   #250
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Somehow you are okay with a 5x5 for Kotkaniemi and some people want Mangiapane to sign a 5x5 with the Flames.

One of these has to be wrong.

If KK is worth 5M extension then the Mangiapane starts above 7M.
I think it is an overpay for Kotkaniemi at 5x5 but the Canes have put themselves in this spot. He has to be qualified at 6.1 so they are somewhat stuck.

Mangiapane is several years older so not the best comparable.

I would personally not be happy if Calgary made the same move the Canes did but I love it from an outsiders perspective. Carolina is paying for potential as Kotkaniemi is only 21
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:11 AM   #251
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
They saw what happened with the Flames when Leivo had to play higher in the lineup
Leivo is at NHL minimum salary.

What are you blathering on about?
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2021, 10:57 AM   #252
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Offer sheets don’t allow for negotiation. You offer it to the player and it’s signed or not.
That doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't it be negotiable?

Once the player signs it, the terms can't be renegotiated by his old team if they choose to match it, but until he signs something, he's a free agent able to negotiate anything he wants with any team he wants.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #253
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it tampering if there's a handshake side deal already in place with the guy for his next contract (multiple year, much lower than his QO)?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:11 AM   #254
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would he sign a long term contract with the Hurricanes if he had a qualifying offer for 6.1 million dollars, he either takes that money and runs or they don't sign him and he becomes a 22 year old unrestricted free agent who is able to sign a long term deal with any team in the league, such as Seattle who has cap space and a need for a good young core.

This overpayment by the Hurricanes has the potential to significantly backfire. If he was worth the money it would be one thing but right now he isn't and it could set up baf business practices in my opinion. Aho was worth the offer sheet as evidenced by it being matched right away... This on the other hand I don't know!
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:13 AM   #255
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Is it tampering if there's a handshake side deal already in place with the guy for his next contract (multiple year, much lower than his QO)?
I don't think so. How would this be construed as tampering? It could very well be part of the offer sheet negotiations. Sign this offer sheet deal, and we can come to an agreement on a longer term contract if you become part of our team.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:51 AM   #256
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I don't think so. How would this be construed as tampering? It could very well be part of the offer sheet negotiations. Sign this offer sheet deal, and we can come to an agreement on a longer term contract if you become part of our team.
I'm talking about more than a vague "we can come to an agreement". I'm talking "sign this deal, and we also agree to this next precise deal". In this way they can structure, for example, a deal that (a) has a one year deal Montreal can't match and (b) a second 5 year deal that is fair, whereas Montreal may well have matched the overall 6 year AAV if it was presented that way. It's possibly tampering because you can't agree to that next deal yet IIRC.

Kotkaniemi only really cares about the total amount over the term, not the AAV, though I'm sure he's not opposed to getting more money up front.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #257
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Why would he sign a long term contract with the Hurricanes if he had a qualifying offer for 6.1 million dollars, he either takes that money and runs or they don't sign him and he becomes a 22 year old unrestricted free agent who is able to sign a long term deal with any team in the league, such as Seattle who has cap space and a need for a good young core.

This overpayment by the Hurricanes has the potential to significantly backfire. If he was worth the money it would be one thing but right now he isn't and it could set up baf business practices in my opinion. Aho was worth the offer sheet as evidenced by it being matched right away... This on the other hand I don't know!
Assuming Montreal doesn't match, the Canes are trading a likely late first round pick (plus a 3rd, etc.) for a 21 year old former 3rd overall. Seems like a good gamble to me.

think the Habs match, though. So worst case the Canes make a rival's cap situation complicated after that rival did the same to them.

Offer sheets are under utilized. Should be way more common than they are.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:19 PM   #258
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I don't see how it can be tampering because by definition in the CBA, an agreement for an extension is not binding or legal until Jan 1. Either side can walk away from the agreement on an extension until then.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #259
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm talking about more than a vague "we can come to an agreement". In this way they can structure, for example, a deal that (a) has a one year deal Montreal can't match and (b) a second 5 year deal that is fair, whereas Montreal may well have matched the overall 6 year AAV if it was presented that way. It's possibly tampering because you can't agree to that next deal yet IIRC.

Kotkaniemi only really cares about the total amount over the term, not the AAV, though I'm sure he's not opposed to getting more money up front.
What a good imagination you have!

If there was even close to a "I'm talking "sign this deal, and we also agree to this next precise deal". " the Canes would not have a 1st round draft pick to give as compensation as it would be lost in the tampering punishment.

In your imaginary world why wouldn't someone get an agreement with Mangiapane for a fixed long term contract as they are talking offer sheets with him next summer. Simply sign a 1 year deal for 2022-23 and we a have a 7x7 deal for you starting in 2023-24.

Or tell Gaudreau not to sign an extension with the Flames as they have a sweet long-term deal waiting for him as a UFA.

What is in the Springbank water?
Old 08-30-2021, 12:23 PM   #260
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

nm
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote