Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #2421
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
It’s important to remember Ottawa is not making that first round pick in 2019 Colorado is.

Maybe they trade him to get their pick back.
If I were them I’d be trying for this. Flipping him for a lotto ticket would be good for the Sens and the Avs getting him for a magic bean makes sense for them.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #2422
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
It really seems like Treliving doing his thing and kicking tires. When was the last time a major player like Nylander was traded just prior to training camp?
An unsigned RFA? Kessel? Has there been anyone since?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:45 PM   #2423
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As tantalizing as nylander would be, i'd take Saros if it came down to the two for an expensive last minute pickup.

How ridiculous would Treliving's off-season be if he managed to land either.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 11:59 PM   #2424
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Weren't the Leafs really interested in Hamonic when the Flames acquired him? What if the Flames flipped Hamonic and Jankowski for Nylander? I would be over the moon. I think I'm totally dreaming, but Hamonic is cost-controlled and that would be very valuable to the Leafs. Plus, they need RH defencemen more than anything else.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Nylander - Neal
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Dube/Mangiapane/Foo/Rychel/Hathaway/Lazar - Ryan - Czarnik

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Kulak - Stone

The right side of the defence would be a little weak but I think Monahan - Nylander - Backlund - Ryan would be SC contender centre depth.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #2425
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Weren't the Leafs really interested in Hamonic when the Flames acquired him? What if the Flames flipped Hamonic and Jankowski for Nylander? I would be over the moon. I think I'm totally dreaming, but Hamonic is cost-controlled and that would be very valuable to the Leafs. Plus, they need RH defencemen more than anything else.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Nylander - Neal
Dube/Mangiapane/Foo/Rychel/Hathaway/Lazar - Ryan - Czarnik

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Kulak - Stone

The right side of the defence would be a little weak but I think Monahan - Nylander - Backlund - Ryan would be SC contender centre depth.
Tavares maybe mentioned trying to get Hamonic aboard the Leafs train as well.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:07 AM   #2426
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Tavares maybe mentioned trying to get Hamonic aboard the Leafs train as well.
True! This would be crazy.

I guess, although Nylander took the 4th most faceoffs on the Leafs last year and has played at centre with the Leafs as an injury fill-in, he is primarily a RW.

So it would probably actually be:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Nylander

That top 9 still leaves me feeling very excited. Lindholm has also mentioned wanting to play centre.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:14 AM   #2427
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, Hamonic and Jankowski do not get you Nylander.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2018, 12:16 AM   #2428
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Lol, Hamonic and Jankowski do not get you Nylander.
I'm sure you're right. What would you suggest instead?
Old 08-23-2018, 12:33 AM   #2429
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
No thanks to Nylander for Hanifin. Maybe before James Neal signed as we desperately needed another top 6 forward after the Carolina trade but Neal fills that role with only giving up cap space.

Just spit balling but the Leafs had huge interest in Hamonic when the Flames got him and then there were rumors they still had interest when there were some rumors the Flames were shopping him at the draft.

I just think there is a huge gap between Nylander and Hamonic so there would have to be a significant add on the Flames side and hope that Stone and Andersson are ready to step up.

How about this top 9 though

Gaudreau-Monahan-Nylander
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal
Sorry. I basically repeated this.

What do you think would be significant enough?
Old 08-23-2018, 05:03 AM   #2430
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamonic
Kylington
Jankowski
1st

For

Nylander
3rd

Gaudreau - Monahan - Nylander
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Neal
Bennett - Backlund - Czarnik
Mangiapane - Ryan - Frolik
Rychel, Foo, Lazar

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Stone/Andersson
Valimaki - Stone/Andersson
Kulak

Insane amount of fire power there up front though it does thin the blue line slightly with us relying on young depth.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:38 AM   #2431
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The forward lines aren't perfect but they're pretty good, the D looks pretty solid. It's just not worth mortgaging the future for a position that's not even the teams weakest part. Getting someone like Nylander or even Karlsson isn't worth it unless the shore up the goaltender situation.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:44 AM   #2432
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to agree. Nylander would be a great addition, but saros would be the piece that can solidify this franchise.

Gillies+2019 1st+ dube for Saros?

Hamonic+Jankowski/Bennett+ kylington for nylander?
Old 08-23-2018, 05:59 AM   #2433
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I have to agree. Nylander would be a great addition, but saros would be the piece that can solidify this franchise.

Gillies+2019 1st+ dube for Saros?

Hamonic+Jankowski/Bennett+ kylington for nylander?
Wait a second. Did you just say that a backup goaltender is the piece that would solidify this franchise? After suggesting moving six pieces for two? Someone needs to learn about what entails a franchise. Carving out three of your top developmental assets for a guy who plays 20-25 games a season is pretty much counter to what is good for the franchise. Depth is what makes franchises successful, and you’re suggesting dumping a lot of depth to address minor needs on the NHL roster. To me, that’s very short sighted and exactly why franchises fail to find success in the NHL.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:09 AM   #2434
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Wait a second. Did you just say that a backup goaltender is the piece that would solidify this franchise? After suggesting moving six pieces for two? Someone needs to learn about what entails a franchise. Carving out three of your top developmental assets for a guy who plays 20-25 games a season is pretty much counter to what is good for the franchise. Depth is what makes franchises successful, and you’re suggesting dumping a lot of depth to address minor needs on the NHL roster. To me, that’s very short sighted and exactly why franchises fail to find success in the NHL.
You're such an alarmist. I just suggested a bunch of 2nd rate pieces for a goalie with legitimate starting potential (something this team sorely lacks and that would certainly solidify our future in net) and a player with two straight 60 point campaigns (he would immediately become our third best offensive player).

What depth are you actually worried about losing in those trades? From my recollection you dont even like hamonic, so losing him shouldn't hurt too bad. Bennett and janko are garbage compared to nylander, gillies isn't even close to saros, and the 1st + dube+ kylington are longshots to hold a job in the nhl at this point. Our depth would be relatively untouched (if anything the addition of nylander fortifies the depth in our top 9 an overwhelming amount.)

Those trades aren't even enough for the pieces I was seeking. Both are likely rejected easily by the opposing team. Take off the homer glasses.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:11 AM   #2435
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with both posts. I would not give up that much for Saros that's too much imo. At the same time, Saros isn't just a backup. Next year Saros will be a starter or a backup and he would be a perfect add for the Flames. I wouldn't give up a first, I'd rather part with Bennett/janko, a defensive prospect or something else.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:35 AM   #2436
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
You're such an alarmist. I just suggested a bunch of 2nd rate pieces for a goalie with legitimate starting potential (something this team sorely lacks and that would certainly solidify our future in net) and a player with two straight 60 point campaigns (he would immediately become our third best offensive player).

What depth are you actually worried about losing in those trades? From my recollection you dont even like hamonic, so losing him shouldn't hurt too bad. Bennett and janko are garbage compared to nylander, gillies isn't even close to saros, and the 1st + dube+ kylington are longshots to hold a job in the nhl at this point. Our depth would be relatively untouched (if anything the addition of nylander fortifies the depth in our top 9 an overwhelming amount.)

Those trades aren't even enough for the pieces I was seeking. Both are likely rejected easily by the opposing team. Take off the homer glasses.
What depth am I concerned about losing in those two trades? Are you really that dense?

First, you are trading away a top four defenseman that we desperately need. With TJ Brodie being a complete unknown at this point we need proven quantities on the blueline to solidify that component of the team. But let’s say you stupidly go and make the deal anyway. Hamonic and Kylington are out of the system. Valimaki is pushed into playing, and likely playing in a top four capacity, without any experience what so ever. Andersson is already pencilled in to the lineup, so what happens when an iury hits? What is left on the farm as a possible replacement on the blueline? Oh, there isn’t anyone because you just traded away our depth!

Second, you’re carving out a quality cost controlled player that can play and contribute right now at a very important position (center). Sure, you bring in Nylander, but to what point? He’s going to be a $6M player, and playing on the wing, so all you’ve done is add yet another high priced piece and weaken us down the middle. Worse, you’ve moved probably our best asset in Dube who you hope will develop into that two-way player in the middle that will also help keep costs controlled.

Third, long term you’ve cut the legs out from under the team. Darryl Sutter did this with all the trades he made, and the franchise paid dearly for it. I don’t ever want to see this team wander that wilderness again, where we had nothing on the farm and no future to rely upon. Developing players that will continually step in every year is the key to long term success in the NHL. The second you have a poor development system is the second your window of opportunity begins to close. The Flames already have a gap in their development pool, and that is going to hurt them in the near future, There is no reason to compound that gap by making more bad trades where we lose future assets.

The Flames upset the Oilers in ‘86, then won a Stanley Cup in ‘89, because they had depth in the system. They were able to pull in a Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Vernon, Suter, MacInnis, and Fleury, and then still have Hull in the minors to make the deal to fortify an already great roster for the cup run. Depth is systemic, and great teams have depth on the farm to use when they need it.

Nothing alarmist about that. Just the way the game is.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 08-23-2018 at 06:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #2437
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
What depth am I concerned about losing in those two trades? Are you really that dense?

First, you are trading away a top four defenseman that we desperately need. With TJ Brodie being a complete unknown at this point we need proven quantities on the blueline to solidify that component of the team. But let’s say you stupidly go and make the deal anyway. Hamonic and Kylington are out of the system. Valimaki is pushed into playing, and likely playing in a top four capacity, without any experience what so ever. Andersson is already pencilled in to the lineup, so what happens when an iury hits? What is left on the farm as a possible replacement on the blueline? Oh, there isn’t anyone because you just traded away our depth!

Second, you’re carving out a quality cost controlled player that can play and contribute right now at a very important position (center). Sure, you bring in Nylander, but to what point? He’s going to be a $6M player, and playing on the wing, so all you’ve done is add yet another high priced piece and weaken us down the middle. Worse, you’ve moved probably our best asset in Dube who you hope will develop into that two-way player in the middle that will also help keep costs controlled.

Third, long term you’ve cut the legs out from under the team. Darryl Sutter did this with all the trades he made, and the franchise paid dearly for it. I don’t ever want to see this team wander that wilderness again, where we had nothing on the farm and no future to rely upon. Developing players that will continually step in every year is the key to long term success in the NHL. The second you have a poor development system is the second your window of opportunity begins to close. The Flames already have a gap in their development pool, and that is going to hurt them in the near future, There is no reason to compound that gap by making more bad trades where we lose future assets.

The Flames upset the Oilers in ‘86, then won a Stanley Cup in ‘89, because they had depth in the system. They were able to pull in a Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Vernon, Suter, MacInnis, and Fleury, and then still have Hull in the minors to make the deal to fortify an already great roster for the cup run. Depth is systemic, and great teams have depth on the farm to use when they need it.

Nothing alarmist about that. Just the way the game is.
This is unhinged dude.

1. This would be our lineup (not sure why both valimaki and andersson have to play in your mind)
Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Nylander
Frolik-Backlund-czarnik
Janko/bennett (who ever is leftover and who cares)- ryan-rychel
Mangiapane/lazar/hathaway/foo waiting to push in at cost control and injury level

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-R. Andersson
Kulak-stone
Valimaki+ others for injury, pushing into lineup. I might try and sign an older guy to pto

Saros
Smith (50/50)

The depth is reduced at d for sure. But everywhere else is far stronger.

In terms of cutting out the future, only one player in our top 6 would be over 25 and all would be in team control for 4+years. What future am I cutting out?

When you talk about position (trading a centre for a winger) you're ignoring the fact that nylander does play centre and that nylander is better than janko and Bennett could hope to be. You're also ignoring the fact that tre went out and got two players who are clearly better centers than either already in lindholm and Ryan. Bennett and janko are already 5/6 on the centre depth chart.

2. To say that the 89 flames team was a depth team that played well together ignores the overwhelming amount of superstar level talent that we had playing for us at the time. Even if you water it town to who you listed, the flames are still lacking a Vernon analogue. Thinking about both of these points, I believe my proposed trades gets us a far closer team to '89 than holding on to our current dime a dozen prospects and bottom 6 players.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #2438
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I'm sure you're right. What would you suggest instead?
If I’m GM of the Leafs, I’m asking for Tkachuk and no one else. He’s exactly what they need.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #2439
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
If I’m GM of the Leafs, I’m asking for Tkachuk and no one else. He’s exactly what they need.
That is a quick conversation then as Tkachuk would be the last player I would move in a trade.

Leafs need D not another winger. Hanifin or Andersson/Valimaki ++ would make the most sense. Having said that I glanced at the thread on Reddit and this is just Treliving doing what he does and checking in on all players.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #2440
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
That is a quick conversation then as Tkachuk would be the last player I would move in a trade.

Leafs need D not another winger. Hanifin or Andersson/Valimaki ++ would make the most sense. Having said that I glanced at the thread on Reddit and this is just Treliving doing what he does and checking in on all players.

Agreed. That being said, I would think the leafs' asking price, as far as pure asset value, would be on par with what the flames would be asking for if they were to (for some crazy reason) move tkachuk.
Closed Thread