Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 396 62.86%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 165 26.19%
Not sure 37 5.87%
Climate change is a hoax 32 5.08%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2021, 06:05 PM   #2401
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
For sure. Electric trucks, vans and semis are probably less exciting than consumer models but could make a huge difference in reducing vehicle emissions. And once the business case is proven, you could use whole fleets turning over not for the eco-cred but for the dollar savings.

https://www.greenbiz.com/article/8-e...ies-watch-2020
Delivery vans are a perfect target. Anything that drives around all day long, but doesn't cover obscene miles. In fact, all government's need to do is charge commercial ICE vehicles with a registration tax or something. It's perhaps a touch early for this, as there aren't many on the market. But soon.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:42 PM   #2402
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
What do you do in cities where almost all the residential parking is street parking? Just have extension chords running all over the place?
Forget range, forget cold weather, forget price. This will be the biggest barrier to penetration I think. It's solvable, but it'll need lots of solutions. Basically, you'll need lots of chargers around town mixed with better multifamily home solutions. If apartment blocks can get good subsidies for installing chargers, some decent on-street solutions that don't add a whole bunch of street furniture, and innovative ideas like combined street lamp/chargers, I think we can get there.

It's really chicken and egg though. You see this issue somewhat resolve itself in places like Norway once a market exists to solve it.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #2403
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Forget range, forget cold weather, forget price. This will be the biggest barrier to penetration I think. It's solvable, but it'll need lots of solutions. Basically, you'll need lots of chargers around town mixed with better multifamily home solutions. If apartment blocks can get good subsidies for installing chargers, some decent on-street solutions that don't add a whole bunch of street furniture, and innovative ideas like combined street lamp/chargers, I think we can get there.

It's really chicken and egg though. You see this issue somewhat resolve itself in places like Norway once a market exists to solve it.
I haven't quite figured out if it will be a problem or not. I'd imagine many city dwellers not needing to charge more than once or twice a week, so maybe it isn't a big deal to top up while you grab groceries, or go to the mall. On the other hand, you can't have chargers at every parking space, so maybe they end up being a shortage? Really tough to guess at, considering human behaviours.

What could be tragic would be something like an evac from a hurricane, with people running out of power trying to escape. It's not a quick 5 minute fill up at a gas station, and with chargers distributed for normal events, extraordinary ones could be a real problem.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #2404
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I haven't quite figured out if it will be a problem or not. I'd imagine many city dwellers not needing to charge more than once or twice a week, so maybe it isn't a big deal to top up while you grab groceries, or go to the mall. On the other hand, you can't have chargers at every parking space, so maybe they end up being a shortage? Really tough to guess at, considering human behaviours.

What could be tragic would be something like an evac from a hurricane, with people running out of power trying to escape. It's not a quick 5 minute fill up at a gas station, and with chargers distributed for normal events, extraordinary ones could be a real problem.
The total opposite I think. Except for those without a bespoke charger, everyone can just make sure their car is plugged in the night before. Much harder to remember to make sure your tank is full of gas

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2021, 09:12 PM   #2405
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The total opposite I think. Except for those without a bespoke charger, everyone can just make sure their car is plugged in the night before. Much harder to remember to make sure your tank is full of gas

I don't know, the street that I live on, there must be people that get home really early and always have the same prime parking spot. Many others have to park a couple of blocks away near a woodlot. Maybe the city would turn it into real parking with charging stations, but it all goes back to how are cities are built which it the main problem.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:18 PM   #2406
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I don't know, the street that I live on, there must be people that get home really early and always have the same prime parking spot. Many others have to park a couple of blocks away near a woodlot. Maybe the city would turn it into real parking with charging stations, but it all goes back to how are cities are built which it the main problem.
Agreed, but my point is that 100% of people need to go to a gas station to fill their car at some point before a hurricane. With EV's, at the very least a large chunk of those will just have a full battery when they wake up every morning and will not need a charger. There's also going to be way more chargers around than gas stations
Old 08-22-2021, 10:22 PM   #2407
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That's all fine, I just don't feel that if you are directly comprising the cost of 2 things, you should interlude taxpayer funded rebates to make the numbers match. If you want to make the statement "EV's have reached cost parity with ICE vehicles"I feel like that should be free of rebates.

I also don't really agree with rebates as structured. The only people who can afford an EV are the well off, so people who can't afford them have their tax dollars handed to people wealthier than them. I'd like to see rebates go away for anything over $30k.

If the goal is to reduce emissions as much as possible while adopting a limited amount of EV's, it makes far more sense to target the largest users, not the ones who drive a short distance every day. But that would mean giving money to businesses who put on lots of miles, and transit.
Fair points, but unfortunately we are looking to accelerate adoptions of new technologies, and the people who will be adopting are the affluent. It's not really a choice of supporting the poor or supporting the rich, its a choice of supporting a new technology or resigning ourselves to the status quo.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:34 PM   #2408
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Fair points, but unfortunately we are looking to accelerate adoptions of new technologies, and the people who will be adopting are the affluent. It's not really a choice of supporting the poor or supporting the rich, its a choice of supporting a new technology or resigning ourselves to the status quo.
They could structure the rebate so than range and not KWH was the criteria for the rebate.

A good example being the Ford Escape PHEV vs the RAV4 PHEV the Ford with better efficiency has a smaller battery and only qualifies for the $2500 rebate whereas the RAV4 qualifies for the larger rebate. So the lower impact vehicle gets a lower rebate because they went with a smaller electric engine.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #2409
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

What about rolling blackouts due to climate change? What about power being knocked out by the hurricane? Then how will people charge their cars?

What if there aren't enough charging stations during an emergency? Would we see fights and guns drawn during a crisis with neighbour fighting neighbour to charge their car?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:37 AM   #2410
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What about rolling blackouts due to climate change? What about power being knocked out by the hurricane? Then how will people charge their cars?

What if there aren't enough charging stations during an emergency? Would we see fights and guns drawn during a crisis with neighbour fighting neighbour to charge their car?
Gas pumps need power to operate, so the blackouts argument is moot. A crisis will be a crisis regardless of what vehicle is in vogue. The dude with a diesel pickup and a 300 liter tidy tank will be OK.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:43 AM   #2411
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Gas pumps need power to operate, so the blackouts argument is moot. A crisis will be a crisis regardless of what vehicle is in vogue. The dude with a diesel pickup and a 300 liter tidy tank will be OK.

A simple backup generator would be enough to power gas pumps.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:53 AM   #2412
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's all fine, I just don't feel that if you are directly comprising the cost of 2 things, you should interlude taxpayer funded rebates to make the numbers match. If you want to make the statement "EV's have reached cost parity with ICE vehicles"I feel like that should be free of rebates.

I also don't really agree with rebates as structured. The only people who can afford an EV are the well off, so people who can't afford them have their tax dollars handed to people wealthier than them. I'd like to see rebates go away for anything over $30k.

If the goal is to reduce emissions as much as possible while adopting a limited amount of EV's, it makes far more sense to target the largest users, not the ones who drive a short distance every day. But that would mean giving money to businesses who put on lots of miles, and transit.

Instead of rebates there should be a hella big carbon tax and let people act accordingly. Drive less, get a more efficient ICE car, get an EV. And don’t rebate it all to the consumer either - people need to feel real pain for consuming carbon.

We’re not going to avert a global crisis, one that is ultimately existential, without economic pain. When people talk about technology solutions to climate change they often invoke the heroic progress made during wartime as an example of society pulling together. Ask anyone who lived through that what real sacrifice is. We are so unwilling to do that.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:07 AM   #2413
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with taxing gas too heavily is you really hurt those who may be living paycheque to paycheque, but need a car to get to work. You also drive up the price of goods. So then you have to rebate that...

A carbon tax is one tool, but I think they have to be careful not to over-apply it.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:10 AM   #2414
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

This pretty much where we are heading. Plan is to keep it rising each year. Will triple by 2030. (Subject to which party is in control of the government)
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:41 AM   #2415
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with taxing gas too heavily is you really hurt those who may be living paycheque to paycheque, but need a car to get to work. You also drive up the price of goods. So then you have to rebate that...

A carbon tax is one tool, but I think they have to be careful not to over-apply it.

Imagine that carbon was poison. What would you do?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 08:45 AM   #2416
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Imagine that carbon was poison. What would you do?
The reality is society would collapse if we immediately banned all CO2 emissions. We'd freeze to death in the first winter. Which means it isn't as simple as calling it poison, so we do have to balance inevitable warming, and, well, not dying.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:54 AM   #2417
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The reality is society would collapse if we immediately banned all CO2 emissions. We'd freeze to death in the first winter. Which means it isn't as simple as calling it poison, so we do have to balance inevitable warming, and, well, not dying.
Yes - replacing a car is something people do more often then replacing their furnace. But it is also (at least here) a spot where the carbon tax will need to move up to motivate people to do anything. Way cheaper to heat your house with gas than electricity.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 02:53 PM   #2418
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder how many in the need-a-car-to-get-to-work crowd actually don't have any way to get to work other than driving a vehicle of their own, vs how many of them just really don't want to take transit or carpool.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:58 PM   #2419
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I wonder how many in the need-a-car-to-get-to-work crowd actually don't have any way to get to work other than driving a vehicle of their own, vs how many of them just really don't want to take transit or carpool.
I'm thinking less about the middle class person living in Panorama Hills who could hop the bus downtown, and more about the already marginalized worker doing a night shift where transit takes 4 hours of their day(or doesn't run at those hours), and they drive the cheapest vehicle they can afford.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:31 PM   #2420
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm thinking less about the middle class person living in Panorama Hills who could hop the bus downtown, and more about the already marginalized worker doing a night shift where transit takes 4 hours of their day(or doesn't run at those hours), and they drive the cheapest vehicle they can afford.
Or people whose jobs require them to have their own vehicle because they may need to go in the field or run errands for their employer.

I think every job that I have had in my adult life had a requirement that you have your own vehicle to get to work and to use for work if necessary.