Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2023, 02:31 PM   #221
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
It's neither. It's using a small sample size to reframe the issue to fit the narrative. You have to ignore the larger data set to accept the narrative being spun. What we're seeing here is lightning being captured in a bottle, not an accurate representation of the overall performance.
I'm pretty sure that MT won't have to give back an SC ring based on it being a small sample size.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 03:04 PM   #222
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
I'm pretty sure that MT won't have to give back an SC ring based on it being a small sample size.
That wasn't the point hulderfolk. The developing narrative is the Flames gave Florida the championship core of their team and would have been better off keeping the players themselves, which is a bunch of navel gazing garbage. The success is based off a very small window riding a very hot goaltender and a single player on a mission. No one will take their ring away from them (if they win it) but no one is going to suggest this team is going to repeat this success.
The 2023 Panthers are exactly like the 2004 Flames, and that team also had a pretty mediocre track record before the Cinderella run.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 04:50 PM   #223
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That wasn't the point hulderfolk. The developing narrative is the Flames gave Florida the championship core of their team and would have been better off keeping the players themselves, which is a bunch of navel gazing garbage. The success is based off a very small window riding a very hot goaltender and a single player on a mission. No one will take their ring away from them (if they win it) but no one is going to suggest this team is going to repeat this success.
The 2023 Panthers are exactly like the 2004 Flames, and that team also had a pretty mediocre track record before the Cinderella run.
So what you saying is if the flames traded Iginla and Kipper to a team that contended they would be a "navel gazing garbage" team fluke?

Newsflash, the league has history of players on missions and hot goalies who won cups. sometimes it doesn't take much to make a champion.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 05:52 PM   #224
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've missed a few days here. Can someone fill me in as to why the thread title is now horny Matthew Tkachuk?
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:05 PM   #225
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Not really , the 2021 Panthers finished 4th overall, the 2022 Panthers won the President trophy, they upgraded Tkachuk for Huberdeau.
The 2004 Flames were no where as dominant
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:56 PM   #226
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
So what you saying is if the flames traded Iginla and Kipper to a team that contended they would be a "navel gazing garbage" team fluke?
Nope, not what I'm saying at all. What I am saying is there is a high degree of navel gazing going on suggesting that the Flames would be in a similar position to the Panthers had they held onto Tkachuk and Bennett, which is ridiculous. Tkachuk and Bobrovsky are driving this Cinderella run, so to suggest that the Flames made a massive mistake and traded away the core of a championship team to Florida is disingenuous. The most important player (Bob) was already there and Tkachuk forced his way out and to Florida. That dynamic likely never would have been recreated here. Suggesting as such is certainty is navel gazing.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:58 PM   #227
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Not really , the 2021 Panthers finished 4th overall, the 2022 Panthers won the President trophy, they upgraded Tkachuk for Huberdeau.
The 2004 Flames were no where as dominant
Yet this past year's Panthers barely scraped into the playoffs in the East and would not have made it if they were in the West. Not as impressive a team as you're trying to make people believe. But carry on gaslighting anyone dumb enough to listen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 07:00 PM   #228
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
I've missed a few days here. Can someone fill me in as to why the thread title is now horny Matthew Tkachuk?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:07 PM   #229
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yet this past year's Panthers barely scraped into the playoffs in the East and would not have made it if they were in the West. Not as impressive a team as you're trying to make people believe. But carry on gaslighting anyone dumb enough to listen.
Can you try to argue with someone without being so confrontational? I think you're intelligent but your style of discourse is really abrasive.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 07:13 PM   #230
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Lol they had a bad year but they do have a good core of players

It’s obvious now.

I am just posting my random opinions, I actually don’t care what people believe
Old 05-28-2023, 07:40 PM   #231
Soliak
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Watching Tkachuk perform in these big games sure is painful. He has been my favourite player since Iginla. In 2020 I bought a new house and purchased a game worn signed jersey then got it framed to be the feature of my bar area. Every time I look at it I remember we let him go when we had a chance to sign him up. Just horrendous. He made hockey fun to watch, even more than Johnny, now we are in re-build mode with all these horrible contracts. Doesn't get much worse than this.
Soliak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soliak For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 07:42 PM   #232
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliak View Post
Watching Tkachuk perform in these big games sure is painful. He has been my favourite player since Iginla. In 2020 I bought a new house and purchased a game worn signed jersey then got it framed to be the feature of my bar area. Every time I look at it I remember we let him go when we had a chance to sign him up. Just horrendous. He made hockey fun to watch, even more than Johnny, now we are in re-build mode with all these horrible contracts. Doesn't get much worse than this.
any player that Oiler fans hate that much should have been a life time Flame, watching him own caveman Kassian was a beautiful thing
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 08:09 PM   #233
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:57 PM   #234
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
They changed it because...

Quote:
Quote:
The best skater in this year’s Stanley Cup playoffs wears No. 19 for the Florida Panthers. He is a six-foot-two, 205-pound left shot that plays right wing, and he is omnipresent on your TV screen.
Quote:
He is a unicorn in today’s game, a highly-skilled power forward who has perfected the art of the cycle game low in the offensive zone. Blessed with physical prowess and a high hockey IQ, he uses space to perfection, minimizing and maximizing the ice around him as called for. His routes involve both finesse and bluster, and he has a refined finishing touch around the net.
https://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...ple-leafs.html
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:58 PM   #235
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Turns out he's a lesser demon. Also explains his skating style.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:04 PM   #236
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

nm
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 11:05 PM   #237
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I have bad news for you, it does get worse.....we're not in rebuild mode. We're gonna ruuuuun it back!!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:51 AM   #238
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The positive is we no longer have Treliving around to #### the core players so he can pick up overpaid garbage

Hopefully Conroy is doing a better job at understanding hockey
Old 05-29-2023, 06:03 AM   #239
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, not what I'm saying at all. What I am saying is there is a high degree of navel gazing going on suggesting that the Flames would be in a similar position to the Panthers had they held onto Tkachuk and Bennett, which is ridiculous. Tkachuk and Bobrovsky are driving this Cinderella run, so to suggest that the Flames made a massive mistake and traded away the core of a championship team to Florida is disingenuous. The most important player (Bob) was already there and Tkachuk forced his way out and to Florida. That dynamic likely never would have been recreated here. Suggesting as such is certainty is navel gazing.
When more than one ex Flames are making the difference, creating the greatest impact to the extent that the TNT commentator is shouting, “are you watching this Calgary?”, you’ve probably ####ed up pretty badly.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:39 AM   #240
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
When more than one ex Flames are making the difference, creating the greatest impact to the extent that the TNT commentator is shouting, “are you watching this Calgary?”, you’ve probably ####ed up pretty badly.
A few Ifs:

If Markstrom can have a playoff like Bob
If the Flames were able to keep Tkachuk and Bennett
In Monahan didn’t get hurt continuously
If Hanifin doesn’t soil his pants when he sees McDrai
If Treliving could fill out the roster with cheaper and effective bottom line players

Lots of Ifs

Tags
gio can't touch that , muzzin no good. , ref hate me , sandals to work , unicorns are real!