Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2024, 12:30 PM   #221
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Bit surprised at the return the Habs got for him - I think that shows that it is becoming a seller's market - finally some good news for the Flames.

Even with that return, shows pretty clearly how silly it was to suggest Monahan would return more than Lindholm.

As for the people illustrating the returns for the core, I think it looks like this:

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan, Lindholm --> Huberdeau, Weegar, Schwindt, Kuzmenko, Brzustewicz, Jurmo, 1st, 3/4th, $3M in cap space
Might as well add Toffoli and Zadorov...

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan, Lindholm, Toffoli, Zadorov --> Sharangovisch, Huberdeau, Weegar, Schwindt, Kuzmenko, Brzustewicz, Jurmo, 1st, 3/4th, 3rd, 5th, $7.75M in cap space
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:30 PM   #222
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Great asset management by the Habs with Monahan, took a big risk, and it paid off.

I'm really happy for Sean, he was my favourite Flames for his tenure with us, and I don't hate the Jets, so I'll be rooting for him.

The over the top hatred for Treliving because of the Monahan trade is rather unjust though.
At the time of the trade, Monahan was coming off 2 shortened seasons due to injury, had scored 10 goals in 50 games in 20/21 followed up by 8 goals in 65 games in 21/22.
His production was at an all time low, and there were still injury concerns. Flames were pivoting after losing Gaudreau and moving Tkachuk, but still pushing to be a contender. So moving an often injured player with a $6.375M price tag, who may or may not play more than a fraction of the season (he played 30% of the season and scored 6 goals), for the top Free Agent Centre on the market made sense at the time. Personally I'd say that was worth a 1st. Had Treliving not made the move, and the Flames floundered because we had little center depth with Monahan out 70% of the year, I think people would have been just as pissed that Treliving hadn't made a push to sign Kadri if it meant paying a 1st.
Did it work out? obviously not as well as we'd all hoped, but Kadri did come in, score 24 goals, add 32 assists, and sit 3rd in team scoring, this year he's second in team scoring thus far. If anything, Huberdeau's disappearance plays a much larger role in the Flames downfall, and why paying a first to move Monahan looks bad.

Monahan has had a resurgence this year, but he's being paid less than $2M, which is why he got a 1st today, he certainly wasn't getting that 2 years ago, or if he was still making $6+M.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:33 PM   #223
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Every team has UFAs some up and decisions to make, but the changes he made in the off season before he left had many thinking they'd challenge for the conference.

Didn't happen.

But for sure the man wasn't perfect.

Losing Gaudreau for nothing was a complicated situation, but at the end they got nothing.

I think you can point to contract staggering too, but not sure how much control GMs have on that with each negotiation being unique.

Plenty of criticism for sure, have never had a problem with that. It's the tanked the team and jumped ship BS that had to be countered.
I don’t think he purposely tank but made some reckless decisions without regard for the future

I guess you can argue that’s the price of going all in.
Flamesfan05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:33 PM   #224
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah exactly.

The original play ... trade for Monahan, bounce him back and get a first at last year's deadline completely went up in smoke for the Habs when Monahan broke his foot.

But then they resigned him and he bounced back and now they win the day.

Getting the first made it a smart gamble, they really couldn't lose. But the windfall today is more about him signing back than the trade itself.
A million times this. He could have signed anywhere in the summer. Good on the Habs for bringing him back. It's not like they flipped him the same season he was traded from the Flames.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2024, 12:34 PM   #225
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Bit surprised at the return the Habs got for him - I think that shows that it is becoming a seller's market - finally some good news for the Flames.
Jets panicked after Lindholm went early.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:35 PM   #226
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wonder what Winnipeg offered for Lindholm if that’s what they gave up for Monahan??? There must’ve been a good prospect in the offer and Conroy actually wanted Kuzmenko?
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Niemo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2024, 12:42 PM   #227
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
I wonder what Winnipeg offered for Lindholm if that’s what they gave up for Monahan??? There must’ve been a good prospect in the offer and Conroy actually wanted Kuzmenko?
Jets likely panicked any went for the next best center than can get when they found out Lindholm is not longer available. It's gonna be fun until trading deadline closes on March 8th. I think the AllStars coverage will be basically 2 days of trades and speculations!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:45 PM   #228
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Holy ####, Jets panicked.
Just like the Canucks did.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2024, 12:48 PM   #229
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
They will be if Tanev gets picked up for 2 first rounders!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:50 PM   #230
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Jets panicked after Lindholm went early.
your colours are showing
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:50 PM   #231
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Might as well add Toffoli and Zadorov...

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan, Lindholm, Toffoli, Zadorov --> Sharangovisch, Huberdeau, Weegar, Schwindt, Kuzmenko, Brzustewicz, Jurmo, 1st, 3/4th, 3rd, 5th, $7.75M in cap space
Conroy is digging out from Brad's mistakes
Old 02-02-2024, 12:52 PM   #232
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan was legitimately playing better than Lindholm this season...more question marks with his health though obviously. Western teams "loading up" and selling futures is good for the Flames long term.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:53 PM   #233
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah exactly.

The original play ... trade for Monahan, bounce him back and get a first at last year's deadline completely went up in smoke for the Habs when Monahan broke his foot.

But then they resigned him and he bounced back and now they win the day.

Getting the first made it a smart gamble, they really couldn't lose. But the windfall today is more about him signing back than the trade itself.
I don't you can disregard that he played for the Habs when they re-signed him last summer.

Nor do I think the original play went "up in smoke" when he broke his foot. They already gained a first for taking on his contract, that was already pretty shrewd. I think we agree on that.

Seems to me that the sequence of events that garnered the Habs a second first round pick started when they traded for him.

But even if you're saying the Habs always planned for flipping him for a first round pick at the deadline then the Flames could have planned the same and they made the trade understanding it could cost them two first round picks.

I'm not blasting the Flames based on what happened today. Giving up a first round pick to shed an expiring contract on a potentially useful player is bad asset management though. And Montreal played it beautifully.

This is a bad overpay for the Jets too IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:53 PM   #234
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
your colours are showing
he has been doing work in the trade thread for Lindholm lol.
I think he is right. Jets panicked and bought high on Monahan
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:55 PM   #235
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Mmmm, delicious delicious copium.
Quote:
your colours are showing
You think Monahan is worth a 1st?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 02-02-2024, 12:55 PM   #236
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Edmonton is going to run out of options and end up signing Kessel.
With what dough?
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:56 PM   #237
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't you can disregard that he played for the Habs when they re-signed him last summer.

Nor do I think the original play went "up in smoke" when he broke his foot. They already gained a first for taking on his contract, that was already pretty shrewd. I think we agree on that.

Seems to me that the sequence of events that garnered the Habs a second first round pick started when they traded for him.

But even if you're saying the Habs always planned for flipping him for a first round pick at the deadline then the Flames could have planned the same and they made the trade understanding it could cost them two first round picks.

I'm not blasting the Flames based on what happened today. Giving up a first round pick to shed an expiring contract on a potentially useful player is bad asset management though. And Montreal played it beautifully.

This is a bad overpay for the Jets too IMO.
In hindsight but they are pretty damn lucky. In a year of flat cap they had a 10M goalie go on LTIR and then got Monahan to sign for $2M as a UFA. Guy is from the east and loves Montreal, said himself he needed a chance of scenery.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:57 PM   #238
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
With what dough?
What kind of dough are hot dog buns made out of?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2024, 12:57 PM   #239
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
Or....

Price went up because he was the next best piece left on the market.

Can't believe MTL came out with two 1sts...unbelievable... f me
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:57 PM   #240
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow, sure seems like an overpay by Winnipeg. If that's what 33 games of Sean Monahan at $2M is worth, I'm optimistic about what we can get for our other trade chips.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote