Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #221
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I kind of see where you're coming from. But I don't think anything Rey did with immediate competency in The Force Awakens compares to Luke coming from a scrub outer rim planet to make the impossible, one-in-a-million shot without using a targeting computer to destroy the Death Star. Why would that be more plausible than Rey grabbing a lightsabre with the Force?
Luke had some training with Obi-Wan, lots of talking with Obi-Wan, and had Obi-Wan's force ghost encouraging him (not to mention his task was vs. an inanimate object not a trained opponent) for the whole movie while Rey had a couple of minutes with a tangerine and becomes more skilled than Luke in the first movie in half an hour of trying.

It's not about plausibility, there are other gigantic plausibility holes far worse. I just felt that a slower development arc, more buildup, would have been more fulfilling.

It's like a movie where the girl in glasses takes them off, finds out she's the most beautiful girl in the school, discovers she can sing like a teen pop star, and makes everyone who rejected her regret it. I get all of Star Wars is wish fulfillment, but sometimes it's better to have to wait for the cake rather than get cake before you can finish thinking "I'd like some cake".
Old 12-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #222
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Luke had some training with Obi-Wan, lots of talking with Obi-Wan, and had Obi-Wan's force ghost encouraging him (not to mention his task was vs. an inanimate object not a trained opponent) for the whole movie while Rey had a couple of minutes with a tangerine and becomes more skilled than Luke in the first movie in half an hour of trying.
Had Luke ever flown an X-Wing before the Death Star battle? Had he ever shot a photon torpedo? Or does bulls-eyeing a womprat automatically make him the most skilled shot and pilot in the entire rebel alliance because he's also hearing voices in his head?

I don't get being bothered by one, even if it's just being mildly bothered, and not the other. That's all I'm getting at. If you can work so hard to explain away Luke's competence in the first Star Wars, it shouldn't be hard to accept anything Rey does.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #223
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I think the acting was well done. Rey was remarkable.

The plot on the other hand often moved very fast, and the super weapon is a bit of a head scratcher. Strange that they progressed everything so fast when they knew there were 2 more movies coming.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #224
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Now I am not sure this is an honest question, but where did Anakin come from? I remember him being taken from some planet, but did he not just come from 'normal' heritage? Does the Force have to be hereditary?

Where is CC!!!
Ugh, Anakin was supposedly a virgin birth, but ignoring that sillyness the whole the force is strong in the Skywalker family has been brought up in the movies repeatedly, and was basically said in not so many words when the old lady gave the lightsaber to Rey. Given the hints, I'd say the only answer that really makes sense is she is Luke's daughter.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #225
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

In my mind force sensitivity would be like any other talent. You can be born with it, lineage may play a factor. Brett Hull was a great hockey player, as was his father Bobby before him. That said, Connor McDavid's father wasn't an NHL superstar, either was Johnny Goudreau's. Sidney Crosby's dad was drafted into the NHL, but never made the show, he was also a goaltender.
So you're saying Bobby Hull is Darth Vader?!
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #226
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Where is CC!!!
According to the other thread, he's waiting to see the film until some unspecified time soon after Christmas, so that he can experience it 'fresh' seeing it with his father.

The wait is killing him.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #227
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enjoyed it but the callbacks were fairly excessive. Another droid with secret data, needing to get the exact same person, on a desert planet, etc . . . basically ANH redux with a Death Star 3.0

Looking forward to Death Star 4.0 that can destroy a dozen planets at once.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #228
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Saw it yesterday and loved it. Rey being so skilled with the force so quickly is believable to me cause they're obviously implying that she is somehow related to the Skywalkers and the fact the Ren "awakened" it within her when he was trying to manipulate her.

I did NOT like that Ren just took of his mask and i especially didnt like how he was just a normal kid under it. That and being able to see Solos death from a mile away are the only negative things I took from that movie.

Besides that I loved it. Every second of it. Oh man, when the X-Wings and Tie Fighters were going at it, i got giddy. Felt like a kid again and left the theatre with a huge smile.

Surprisingly it doesn't look like it'll beat Jurassic World for biggest global box office weekend but it did smash the domestic record by 30 million! Those are just estimates though. Could be higher!

Last edited by polak; 12-20-2015 at 04:52 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #229
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

Surprisingly it doesn't look like it'll beat Jurassic World for biggest global box office weekend but it did smash the domestic record by 30 million! Those are just estimates though. Could be higher!

I read somewhere that it doesn't open in China until January, which would explain the lower global box office numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anyonebutedmonton For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #230
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...source=twitter

Quote:
J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: The Force Awakens shattered numerous box-office records over the weekend, grossing $238 million in North America — the biggest opening of all time, not accounting for inflation — for a global launch of $517 million. Some rival distributors even have Force Awakens grossing closer to $245 million domestically; final weekend numbers will be released Monday.
The previous biggest domestic opening was this summer's Jurassic World with $208.8 million. Worldwide, Force Awakens scored the second-biggest start ever behind Jurassic World ($524.9 million), which had the advantage of opening day-and-date in China. Force Awakens doesn't debut in the world's second-largest moviegoing market until Jan. 9.

Wouldn't at all be surprised to see it pass JW worldwide after the final numbers are in, given that it's so close right now. And doing that without opening in China? Massively impressive
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #231
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just got back from seeing it in IMAX. I went into the movie completely blind having only seen the teaser trailer back whenever the heck that was released. It was tough trying to avoid all the Star Wars news and trailers but I wanted to see the movie without having anything ruined.

I thought it was great. The best Star Wars movie since Empire and ANH. The ship battles were fantastic and I already love the new characters; Rey, Poe and Finn. I am sad they killed Han but I expected they were going to kill off either Luke or Solo. I am genuinely excited to see where they go from here.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 12-20-2015 at 05:30 PM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #232
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I can't wait for episode 2 with Luke training Rey
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #233
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Viewing #2 starting soon. Let's see if I notice something new this time.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #234
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't wait for episode 2 with Luke training Rey
Ya, the part where Rey hauls Luke around on here back is going to be exciting to watch!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #235
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Viewing #2 starting soon. Let's see if I notice something new this time.
During Rey's Force vision, listen for Yoda and Kenobi's voices. I caught the Alec Guinness part the second time watching, but I missed Yoda and Ewan McGregor's phrases. (Abrams confirmed their voices are in the vision)
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #236
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
During Rey's Force vision, listen for Yoda and Kenobi's voices. I caught the Alec Guinness part the second time watching, but I missed Yoda and Ewan McGregor's phrases. (Abrams confirmed their voices are in the vision)
IIRC, Ewan McGregor's quote was "You were the chosen one"
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:00 PM   #237
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the movie, thought it was pretty good but did not have my socks blown off like I did when I first watched the originals.

That being said, I think the Empire needs to fire all their engineers.... you know, the ones that goto evil engineering schools where they taught to easily exploitable design features into their weapons. lol

First Death Star, exhaust port to central reactor.
Second Death Star, shaft big enough to fly a ship through to the reactor
Third planet killer weapon, obvious control mechanism that can be easily bombed by small fighters to take out the whole planet.

Kylo Ren doesn't project the menace and might that Vader did. Just seems like a troubled and rebellious teen rather than anything else. There was almost too much action kinda stitched together with some quick writing.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #238
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the engineers have conscience. That could be the only explanation for their easily disabled death machines.

The higher ups are all big picture thinkers. They have no idea about oscillators or solar charging or shield generators. It's all like, "build me a planet destroying device". They just assume there are no weaknesses.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #239
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well the second Death Star wasn't even complete. Once it was finished it was supposed to have millions of millimeter sized holes for venting instead of the 2 meter wide one on the original Death Star. As for this new thing, those X-Wings weren't doing any damage until Han and Chewie blew a hole in it from the inside.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #240
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

My problem was how easy it was for them to get inside in the first place, but once they went the battle station direction for the 3rd time, it didn't really matter.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote