Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #2341
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Jesus, CP has turned into the National Enquirer.
Turned into?

How quickly we forget about Orange Julius.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #2342
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why does there have to be some smoking gun to this trade?

Why can't it simply be the trading of some good players for some other good players?

That's really all it is.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #2343
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Because, the internet. Duh.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #2344
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

Why can't it simply be the trading of some good players for some other good players?

That's really all it is.
Agreed - Hamilton was traded as he has value needed to get back good assets. Ferland was traded as Lindholm would have pushed him down the lineup (even moreso when Neal was signed later, which suggests Treliving had his eye on him back then)
Fox was traded as his value is at a peak, and would diminish until he signed. Also, D prospects become an even bigger position of strength when you add in the extra years of team control that Hanifin has

This was trading from a position of strength (defence, defence prospects) to address a position of weakness (RW).
Upgrade RW
Downgrade D in short term, but essentially take a signed guy and a long term potential replacement (indirectly) and get a guy to bridge that gap in Hanifin.

You have to pay to get assets back, and while I am sure team dynamic is considered, I doubt that was the motivating factor in these players being the ones traded
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #2345
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's really all it is.
Not every story is a conspiracy theory either. There are people who know these people or know stories from reliable sources.

Just take rumors for what they are worth I guess in the end. Rumors.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #2346
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Wait till you hear about the $150k we paid to shut up a Playmate in September 2016.
Overpayment. $130K is the market rate as defined by comparable transactions.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #2347
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Not every story is a conspiracy theory either. There are people who know these people or know stories from reliable sources.

Just take rumors for what they are worth I guess in the end. Rumors.
It's funny how tribal sports fans can be.

Back when a story came out shortly after Hamilton was traded to the Flames about Hamilton being a problem in the room, it was widely mocked.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=147838

For good reason IMO. Speculation on player's private lives is ugly at best.

In that thread there wasn't a single fan saying that Hamilton may indeed have social problems.

Now that he's leaving the Flames you have people coming out of the woodwork to hammer another nail into his coffin.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #2348
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

Back when a story came out shortly after Hamilton was traded to the Flames about Hamilton being a problem in the room, it was widely mocked.

In that thread there wasn't a single fan saying that Hamilton may indeed have social problems.

Now that he's leaving the Flames you have people coming out of the woodwork to hammer another nail into his coffin.
Fans are delusional (optimistic??) that any players they trade for could not have any issue and the outgoing fans are just haters.

After a players spends 3 years in the community some people may have more knowledge of the situation, and new fans (and some of outgoing teams fans) dismiss outright

Usually the truth sits somewhere in the middle

We sure aren’t hearing a bunch of rumours regarding Ferland.... Guess fans are just out to get Hamilton....
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #2349
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea, to be fair with some other comments, I too have heard some very interesting off-ice stories in regards to Monahan and Gaudreau.

At the same time, however, they're still just young guys at the end of the day doing things lots of young people do, which unfortunately include some very stupid things but as far as on ice goes, they at least seem to always reach or exceed expectations by the end of the season despite some long slumps.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 06:37 PM   #2350
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Agreed. It's creepy and weird this person decided to do their own ''investigation'' into someone else's twitter followers, and make her own tweet news story about it. The fact she counted out the players deleted, and listed who remains is creepy and weird. Who cares if Dougie deleted some former teammates from his Twitter? I delete people from my FB account all the time when I know I'm not going to see them anymore. Where's my news story?

I can't stand Twitter drama and how it passes for news these days.
It's completely normal nowadays. I've been a professional gamer for many years. People stalk every detail of everything I do. If I play on another account people have recorded me talking and compared my voice to keep tabs on what I'm doing. People literally have nothing to do so they seem to enjoy trolling and stalking people nonstop like it's their job. It's actually mind-blowingly ridiculous. For me it isn't impacting my day to day life like an athlete but lord baby jesus it's bad enough.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #2351
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not saying there is any truth to the Dougie rumours but people have legitimate reason to wonder if there isn't something behind the scenes.

Quote:

That's really all it is.
I can't recall, sure there is at least one example, but when has a 24/25 year old top pairing defenseman with a good contract for multiple more years and who just led the league in scoring ever been traded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

I think the biggest thing is that pretty much the exact same situation happened again so the theories seem more likely.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #2352
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Not saying there is any truth to the Dougie rumours but people have legitimate reason to wonder if there isn't something behind the scenes.

I can't recall, sure there is at least one example, but when has a 24/25 year old top pairing defenseman with a good contract for multiple more years and who just led the league in scoring ever been traded?.
When has a player drafted in the top 10, have this many elite seasons in a row, and have the size/skating Dougie has been traded twice by the age 25?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #2353
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the first time was because he practically refused to sign with the Bruins.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #2354
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I love how so many people keep tip toeing around the fact that NHL stars do drugs. Like yeah, everybody knows... nobody really cares. I've heard some "interesting stories nudge nudge wink wink" too it's just that it gets to a point where they're no longer that interesting and probably far more common than anyone gives credit.

We know. Everyone has heard. I have heard from like 7 different people the same stuff. It's not a secret and it sure doesn't seem to be impacting performance. Also, these are activities that are done by a huge amount of people that make lots of money.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #2355
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even the NHL has had to comment on the coke problem re-surging, although from the sounds of it was significantly downplayed.

Hudler's plane ride:
https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/a...art-on-flight/
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #2356
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I love how so many people keep tip toeing around the fact that NHL stars do drugs. Like yeah, everybody knows... nobody really cares I've heard some "interesting stories nudge nudge wink wink" too it's just that it gets to a point where they're no longer that interesting and probably far more common than anyone gives credit.

We know. Everyone has heard. I have heard from like 7 different people the same stuff. It's not a secret and it sure doesn't seem to be impacting performance. Also, these are activities that are done by a huge amount of people that make lots of money.
Personally I don't like hearing this kind of stuff. I like to think of my (and my kids') hockey heroes as good, clean cut, salt of the earth people. Rather than rich, coked out, partying maniacs. But that's just me, I've never been part of that scene.
bigpete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bigpete For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #2357
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post

I can't recall, sure there is at least one example, but when has a 24/25 year old top pairing defenseman with a good contract for multiple more years and who just led the league in scoring ever been traded?

I think the biggest thing is that pretty much the exact same situation happened again so the theories seem more likely.
Or it could be that Hamilton is just a flawed player. If I can see his on ice flaws and decide that his defensive deficiencies are not worth his offense, why can’t an NHL management team see it? Or why can’t two NHL management teams see it?

Maybe the flames didn’t want more teams seeing what they see and decided to sell high on the player?
Old 08-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #2358
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpete View Post
Personally I don't like hearing this kind of stuff. I like to think of my (and my kids') hockey heroes as good, clean cut, salt of the earth people. Rather than rich, coked out, partying maniacs. But that's just me, I've never been part of that scene.
I think pro athletes live a lifestyle a lot more similar to "Hollywood" or "Rock star" than fans like to admit.

I always picture Crosby coming across as this cleancut, good old Canadian boy but in reality he's like Michael Cera in This Is The End.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:30 AM   #2359
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coke is a practical choice for people who don't have a lot of free time and need to watch their diets. Quick high that's over in half an hour. No extra calories. Much more practical than alcohol for people like athletes and models.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 12:35 AM   #2360
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If a groupie says I do coke, and y'all hear it, then that's that. I might've done coke once this year, but if somebody says 'He does coke,' it could be one night out of all the nights this year, that's enough.

But it's easy to talk about and sum it up when you just talk about coke; we're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're in here talking about coke. I mean, listen, we're talking about coke. Not a game! Not a game! Not a game! We're talking about coke. Not a game; not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last, not the game, we're talking about cocaine, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about cocaine. I know I'm supposed to be there, I know I'm supposed to lead by example, I know that. And I'm not shoving it aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important. I do. I honestly do. But we're talking about cocaine, man. What are we talking about? cocaine? We're talking about cocaine, man!

We're talking about cocaine! We're talking about cocaine... We ain't talking about the game! We're talking about cocaine, man! When you come to the arena, and you see me play... You see me play, don't you?

Look, I hear you. It's funny to me too. It's strange to me too. But we're talking about cocaine, man. We're not even talking about the game, the actual game, when it matters, we're talking about cocaine.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post: