Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #2301
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would be huge news if I didn't question every single thing Trump is involved in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 10:11 AM   #2302
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

He might very well try and cure cancer if it saves him in November.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #2303
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Seems the Harris pick was a winner.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/93103...d-running-mate

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN25901M

Any suggestion this will blunt the support of progressives is not supported by early polling.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/12/u...opularity.html

I'm sure you could find the data too that after Palin was announced McCain also got a big boost.

edit: Not hard to find:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/...-bounce-f.html

Quote:
Sen. John McCain has taken in $7 million in contributions since announcing Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, a top campaign aide said today.

The money bounce may owe to Palin's appeal with conservative donors, many of whom said privately they had planned on sitting out the campaign this year. The money comes in just under the wire -- after McCain accepts the GOP nomination Thursday, he will accept public funds and no longer be permitted to raise private money for the campaign.

Last edited by White Out 403; 08-13-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #2304
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
That would be huge news if I didn't question every single thing Trump is involved in.
It makes a lot of sense. If the Sunnis are that afraid of the Shia, then they will bite their tongue and use Israel as a useful idiot to counter possible Shia aggression. That won't lead to a lasting peace, but it will amount to a temporary alliance to hold Iran in check.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #2305
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, stupid not to have Yang there, especially considering how popular he was with voters who could still ultimately choose Trump over Biden.
Yang added to the list

https://www.businessinsider.com/andr...rce=reddit.com
Old 08-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #2306
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I'm sure you could find the data too that after Palin was announced McCain also got a big boost.
How can you be so wrong about so much and still be so entrenched in your belief in being right?
Old 08-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #2307
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I wonder how many are using the "She's so well spoken" racist tribe to describe Harris so far, that one is so often brought up with Black politicians, it was used a lot on Obama.
Being well spoken is a bad thing these days? I guess the West peaked in the 20th century and has begun it's decline.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #2308
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
How can you be so wrong about so much and still be so entrenched in your belief in being right?
What the #### are you talking about?

You're proclaiming that this pick is a winner because they got a boost of donations the day of or after. I link an article showing that Palin also gave McCain a big boost the day after. It doesn't mean anything.

And let's back it up a little.. did I say the pick was a disaster? No.

My god. Grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Being well spoken is a bad thing these days? I guess the West peaked in the 20th century and has begun it's decline.
I also find this a weird take. Trump and Biden are being attacked for talking like they're on Ambien or are high on something else. Harris is a good speaker. That is a good thing. God the ultra left is ####ing weird to me.

Last edited by White Out 403; 08-13-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #2309
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything left of me = Ultra Left

Spicy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #2310
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
What the #### are you talking about?

You're proclaiming that this pick is a winner because they got a boost of donations the day of or after. I link an article showing that Palin also gave McCain a big boost the day after. It doesn't mean anything.

And let's back it up a little.. did I say the pick was a disaster? No.

My god. Grow up.

I also find this a weird take. Trump and Biden are being attacked for talking like they're on Ambien or are high on something else. Harris is a good speaker. That is a good thing. God the ultra left is ####ing weird to me.
My dude, take a time out.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #2311
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Anything left of me = Ultra Left

Spicy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
My dude, take a time out.
Did someone put up the progressive bat signal?

Unless your Chris Rock making this joke in the 90s, complimenting a black politician for speaking well isn't racist. My dude.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:53 AM   #2312
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I truly wonder what insane deals and quid-pro-quo went on behind closed doors before this was announced.

Something something Khashoggi?
Old 08-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #2313
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Fine by me. That was way less stressful.
Agreed. The Iraq and Afghanistan wars and the 2008 financial crisis were definitely less stressful.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:18 AM   #2314
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Did someone put up the progressive bat signal?

Unless your Chris Rock making this joke in the 90s, complimenting a black politician for speaking well isn't racist. My dude.
Why do you get so defensive anytime something that might have remotely racist connotations is brought up? And why is everything you disagree with in the social sphere "ultra left" and "progressive" some sort of 'shot' to you? Honestly asking.

For the record, I agree with you that I wouldn't immediately see any connection. And certainly not in this case, where the comparisons are two dudes who have the verbal communication skills of a high schooler.

That said, instead of dismissing the entire concept outright, you could just say "I don't think that applies here" and just welcome the idea that Black people sharing their experience say it certainly is part of it for them:

https://ideas.ted.com/why-we-need-to...casual-racism/
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/wa...black-men-face
https://www.aaihs.org/inarticulate-while-black/
https://thetab.com/uk/2020/07/08/psa...-spoken-165490

It's not hard to just be open and listen to experiences outside your own to gain context, even if you end up still disagreeing with the implication (and here, I do). Shutting them down as though they don't exist is ignorant.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #2315
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Why do you get so defensive anytime something that might have remotely racist connotations is brought up? And why is everything you disagree with in the social sphere "ultra left" and "progressive" some sort of 'shot' to you? Honestly asking.

For the record, I agree with you that I wouldn't immediately see any connection. And certainly not in this case, where the comparisons are two dudes who have the verbal communication skills of a high schooler.

That said, instead of dismissing the entire concept outright, you could just say "I don't think that applies here" and just welcome the idea that Black people sharing their experience say it certainly is part of it for them:

https://ideas.ted.com/why-we-need-to...casual-racism/

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/wa...black-men-face
https://www.aaihs.org/inarticulate-while-black/
https://thetab.com/uk/2020/07/08/psa...-spoken-165490

It's not hard to just be open and listen to experiences outside your own to gain context, even if you end up still disagreeing with the implication (and here, I do). Shutting them down as though they don't exist is ignorant.
That's fine, but, the person was responding to Thor, who literally wrote that its a racist trope. I find that asinine. If my reaction to that comes off as strong, that's my personality and I've had to live with it and the ramifications of it for 40 years. It is what it is.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:37 AM   #2316
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I personally don't think it's racist to say that unless you are being sarcastic or are actually surprised because you didn't t expect her to be well spoken. She is a great communicator and acknowledging that shouldn't be controversial.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #2317
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I'm patiently waiting on what racist nickname Trump gives her.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #2318
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's fine, but, the person was responding to Thor, who literally wrote that its a racist trope. I find that asinine. If my reaction to that comes off as strong, that's my personality and I've had to live with it and the ramifications of it for 40 years. It is what it is.
You find it asinine despite the fact that black people personally view it as a racist trope?
Old 08-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #2319
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My first reaction was kinda "oh come on" as well, because it sounded over the top and a non-issue, but then I googled it and learned something. Not so hard to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 11:50 AM   #2320
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
You find it asinine despite the fact that black people personally view it as a racist trope?
Thor isn't black.

edit: to add...

In a race where Trump and Biden are gaff machines and sound just terrible speaking, I find it incredibly unreasonable to say "Harris is a great speaker and communicator and will be an asset to the ticket" for example.

I understand and recognize that the "articulate" trope has been around for a while, hence my Chris Rock reference. But here in this race, sorry, her communication skills are on the table to brag about and it's not tokenism or a trope. We really need to try and do better and stop inventing hidden meaning behind peoples compliments to see racism. It doesn't apply here, full stop.

Last edited by White Out 403; 08-13-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Closed Thread