Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2024, 12:00 PM   #2281
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Disagree. The fancy stats supported the Flames in that series outside of game 3 where they were dominated.
Playing the Oilers even is not playing well defensively.

The Flames forgot about defence and tried to play firewagon hockey. The Oilers never knew anything about defence and played the way they usually play.

Markstrom's crease might as well have been a welcome mat in that series. Draisaitl and Hyman, in particular, were able to skate in at will and shoot from point-blank range.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:06 PM   #2282
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Hyman in particular would just coast in and pot a short pass or rebound with it anyone doing anything to stop him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:25 PM   #2283
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Markstrom blew that series but Hanifin didn't cover himself in glory. The playoffs were always the weakest part of his game. His performance against the Avalanche in 2019 still gives me PTSD.

I would say it's no accident that Hanifin has been on the ice for the most 5 on 5 goals against in the playoffs going back to 2019, with the worst or second worst goals for % also.
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 01:18 PM   #2284
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was effing ridiculous. Markstrom was pretty bad but Rasmus and Noah turned every 3 on 3 into a 3 on 2. Every 2 on 2 into a 2 on 1. Hot garbage and I can't think of worse D play ever in the playoffs for the Flames.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:25 PM   #2285
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sutter wears the goat horns for that series as much as any one.

No real adjustments except rush a 60% Tanev back in to play superman.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 03-18-2024 at 02:35 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:29 PM   #2286
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post

No real adjustments except rush a 60% back in to play superman.
The Oilers were so beatable too. I had a really bad feeling after we blew the 6-3 lead in Game 1.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:36 PM   #2287
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Hmmm ...

We all see different things I guess. I saw forwards cheating on the forecheck for fear of getting burned, backing into the neutral zone to counter the fear of the Oilers attack, and getting caught flat footed.

Result was a defense core with brutal gaps and a need to back into their goaltender, putting a lot of pressure on the goaltender.

The same thing, to a large degree, happened against Colorado two years earlier.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:36 PM   #2288
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I fully expected at some point when the Flames moved Hanifin that we would look back and really find out that he wasn't that good.

I did not think it wold be possible that we could be saying that this season though, him and Tanev out was going to be too much for the rest of this season. Carolina and Flordia games, it looked like he was missed but the other games it sure feels like the d is still good without him.

Our top 3 players in xGF% are Pachal, Okhotiuk and Miromanov. Very small sample size but these guys have been good and IMO we still have our 2 best dmen. Kylington coming back with the 3 above still could be a good group.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:38 PM   #2289
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post

No real adjustments except rush a 60% back in to play superman.
This for me. Backlund has a long history of playing McDavid very well. Oilers knew sutter would not match lines so they loaded up and got them out against who they wanted a ton and made comebacks when down big because of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 01:45 PM   #2290
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
This for me. Backlund has a long history of playing McDavid very well. Oilers knew sutter would not match lines so they loaded up and got them out against who they wanted a ton and made comebacks when down big because of it.
The most disappointing part of about that series.

We had the clear advantage behind the bench and in net and both failed us.

Sutter said matching lines was too hard.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:47 PM   #2291
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I fully expected at some point when the Flames moved Hanifin that we would look back and really find out that he wasn't that good.

I did not think it wold be possible that we could be saying that this season though, him and Tanev out was going to be too much for the rest of this season. Carolina and Flordia games, it looked like he was missed but the other games it sure feels like the d is still good without him.

Our top 3 players in xGF% are Pachal, Okhotiuk and Miromanov. Very small sample size but these guys have been good and IMO we still have our 2 best dmen. Kylington coming back with the 3 above still could be a good group.
Flames are 24th in xGA60 since the Hanifin trade. They're giving up a lot.

xGA60
Before 2.56
After 2.73

They're generating more too, which is interesting.

xGF60
Before 2.56
After 2.75
Old 03-18-2024, 01:54 PM   #2292
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Flames are 24th in xGA60 since the Hanifin trade. They're giving up a lot.

xGA60
Before 2.56
After 2.73

They're generating more too, which is interesting.

xGF60
Before 2.56
After 2.75
The Canes game was a bad one though. Small sample size for sure but the next few will give us a bit more. I've been on the trade Hanifin train for 2 years, just don't see him as anything but above average. It will be interesting to see how the new guys continue to play and if we end up missing him as much as some suggest we will.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:56 PM   #2293
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
The Canes game was a bad one though. Small sample size for sure but the next few will give us a bit more. I've been on the trade Hanifin train for 2 years, just don't see him as anything but above average. It will be interesting to see how the new guys continue to play and if we end up missing him as much as some suggest we will.
Canes game was brutal.

But then Tampa and Vegas didn't show up in two other games.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:57 PM   #2294
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
The most disappointing part of about that series.

We had the clear advantage behind the bench and in net and both failed us.

Sutter said matching lines was too hard.
I get his theory that if our 4th is out against their 1st, the next shift we should have the advantage. Problem was next shift, the face off was at center ice.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:00 PM   #2295
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get his theory that if our 4th is out against their 1st, the next shift we should have the advantage. Problem was next shift, the face off was at center ice.
and how would that work if Mcbrokenleg and Pissy play 30 mins a game?
Old 03-18-2024, 02:08 PM   #2296
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
and how would that work if Mcbrokenleg and Pissy play 30 mins a game?
That was another issue as Backlund was not going to match the minutes.

When the Jets beat the Oilers. They had a couple lines play against McDavid and Morrisey every shift.

What the Jets did though was play no mistake hockey when McDavid's line was out and took their chances offensively when they were on the bench. They did not get impatient, and I recall a couple games went long into OT and you could see McDavid and Leon were so gassed they could hardly skate.

The Flames should have done whatever it took to get their big line away from Mcdavid. Backlund has a history of playing McDavid even at 5 on 5, our big line would eat up their secondary lines.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:12 PM   #2297
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

When the Jets beat the Oilers. They had a couple lines play against McDavid and Morrisey every shift.

What the Jets did though was play no mistake hockey when McDavid's line was out and took their chances offensively when they were on the bench. They did not get impatient, and I recall a couple games went long into OT and you could see McDavid and Leon were so gassed they could hardly skate.

The Flames should have done whatever it took to get their big line away from Mcdavid. Backlund has a history of playing McDavid even at 5 on 5, our big line would eat up their secondary lines.
Yeah, they needed to be freed to score. Plus when your fastest skater is Lindholm, you are in tough against McDavid's speed.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:15 PM   #2298
Bubba17
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

One thing I see this year is Huska isn't against going to 3 lines. If Sutter didn't rely on the crappy 4th line he could have Backlund/Lindholm every second shift and played against McDavid line, Flames got screwed when they tried to play the 3rd or 4th line against them.

This season at least the 4th line can play some sort of hockey. That Lucic line was terrible at NHL hockey.
Bubba17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:20 PM   #2299
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still have PTSD from that playoff series. At least most of the dead weights are off the team.

Sutter
Lindholm
Hanifin
Gudbradson
Tkachuk
Lucic
Dube
Jarnkrok

Now we just need to get rid of Rasmus and Markstrom to start anew!
Old 03-18-2024, 02:21 PM   #2300
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, they needed to be freed to score. Plus when your fastest skater is Lindholm, you are in tough against McDavid's speed.
I agree and need to be patient when he is on the ice. Mcdavid is a counter puncher, he's the NHL version of Mike Tyson. Stick to the game plan and he is beatable, and the Oilers roster is flawed and half the game is against them. McDavid over plays he will wear out too.

IMO the Jets a few years ago showed the plan and beat him with a lessor of a roster. Vegas and Colorado played a similar game as well, but they have better teams than the Oilers when healthy.