Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2021, 08:44 PM   #2241
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you need to separate Manson's notoriety out from his popularity. He was definitely infamous, due to his public image, his fans, and also due to people trying to blame Columbine on him. So people (over a certain age at least) definitely know who he is. But he was never all that popular outside of a certain demographic of angsty teenage boys. His band's most popular album sold 1.9M copies in the US. And while people bristle at the Creed comparison, even if they had less cultural cachet they were far more popular than Manson was in terms of record sales and playing live, having two albums with 6M+ sold in the US and another that sold over 11M in the US.

I think people forget how awful mainstream rock was in the late '90s and early '00s when you had junk like Creed, Matchbox 20, et al selling 10M+ records.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:48 PM   #2242
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Record sales do not equal popularity. Tons of one hit wonders who no one remembers sold tons of records.

Go ask matchbox 20 if they can book a gig nowadays. Hell, they wouldn’t get the coke stage at stampede if they begged. Manson isn’t what he once was but he can still play arena shows, albeit much smaller than his heydays.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:12 PM   #2243
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This is the weirdest post I've ever read. Like, dude, MM was a massive superstar in the 90s. Get over it. Did Marilyn Manson kill your dog or something? Or do you just really, really like creed?

Wait, Scott Stapp, is that you?
Oh no. Another MM fan. Is that what his legions of fan refer to him as? MM?

This is hilarious.

I was impressed he was actually alive when he was exposed.

The fact that you actually reminded me of the dude’s name from Creed is even funnier. Does he still take you higher? To a place with Lyme Disease?

My apologies for triggering your Creed regrets and possible tattoos?

The fact that people step into the realm of exemplifying this loser because of notoriety is hilarious.

(FYI: notoriety isn’t a good thing)

Massive superstar in the 90’s. Wow. That is just covered in oversimplified dumb.

Do you have anymore gems like that exhalting garbage humans like M&M or MM, or is it MM& that I should “get over”?

The list of “massive 90’s superstars” is endless. He’s MC Hammer or Vanilla ice with better management of his money, brand, and fan base. He a marginally talented replacement level entertainer masquerading as a creep who is well known because of survivorship bias end of story.

Last edited by Boreal; 02-03-2021 at 11:16 PM.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:18 PM   #2244
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure how I feel about the "artist and the art" but I know one line that I find myself drawing is R.Kelly. Mostly because his songs are sensual and sexy and about seducing women and he's a straight up predator.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:20 PM   #2245
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Record sales do not equal popularity. Tons of one hit wonders who no one remembers sold tons of records.

Go ask matchbox 20 if they can book a gig nowadays. Hell, they wouldn’t get the coke stage at stampede if they begged. Manson isn’t what he once was but he can still play arena shows, albeit much smaller than his heydays.

I mean, that's obviously not true. Look at Manson's most recent tour, mostly 2-3K person venues in North America:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_Upside_Down_Tour

Matchbox 20 (I didn't even know they were still a band) apparently can still play 10-25K person arenas:

https://www.songkick.com/artists/30543-matchbox-twenty
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 11:33 PM   #2246
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post

This is hilarious.

The fact that you actually reminded me of the dude’s name from Creed is even funnier. Does he still take you higher? To a place with Lyme Disease?

The fact that people step into the realm of exemplifying this loser because of notoriety is hilarious.

Massive superstar in the 90’s. Wow. That is just covered in oversimplified dumb.

Do you have anymore gems like that exhalting garbage humans like M&M or MM, or is it MM& that I should “get over”?

The list of “massive 90’s superstars” is endless. He’s MC Hammer or Vanilla ice with better management of his money, brand, and fan base. He a marginally talented replacement level entertainer masquerading as a creep who is well known because of survivorship bias end of story.
You're so freakin' edgy I'm surprised you don't like Manson. You should give him a listen
BsFaninCGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:37 PM   #2247
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
You're so freakin' edgy I'm surprised you don't like Manson. You should give him a listen
Great idea.

I’ll meet you at EdgeFest save me a seat. I’ll be late.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:03 AM   #2248
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Famous is not the same as popular. Manson has name recognition, full stop. Whether he deserves it is an entirely irrelevant argument in regards to whether he has it.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:11 AM   #2249
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Not sure how I feel about the "artist and the art" but I know one line that I find myself drawing is R.Kelly. Mostly because his songs are sensual and sexy and about seducing women and he's a straight up predator.
This. He’s about the only artist I cannot stand to listen to anymore, because he’s basically singing about his crimes. It’s gross. Only CD I ever actually tossed.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:07 AM   #2250
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
$$ obviously. But fame and increasing their public profile also increases the difficulty facing their victims while bringing these stories to the forefront.
but isn't that the same for musical artists and not just film artists?

just didn't make sense to me how he's fine with child rapist musicians but not fine with child rapist filmmakers.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:10 AM   #2251
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit (and formerly of Manson's band):

"He’s not a great guy. And every single thing that people have said about him is ####ing true. So relax about the allegations towards the women. Like when people say these women are coming after him right now… #### off, they are speaking the truth.

"He is a bad ####ing guy, and I was there when he was with Evan Rachel Wood. I was at his house, it’s not ####ing cool, and that’s all I’m gonna say about it. So if anyone is coming after these girls and going like, ‘You blah blah blah blah blah, this and that,’ #### you! That’s all I’m gonna say.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/wes...ut-him-is-true
I have to say there's some irony in the lead guitarist of Limp Bizkit dishing this out against another heavy metal artist. Maybe Wes didn't do it all for the nookie?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #2252
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I mean, that's obviously not true. Look at Manson's most recent tour, mostly 2-3K person venues in North America:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_Upside_Down_Tour

Matchbox 20 (I didn't even know they were still a band) apparently can still play 10-25K person arenas:

https://www.songkick.com/artists/30543-matchbox-twenty

Yeah that’s not true. Your sources suck. Just google it. Matchbox 20 is playing amphitheatres, not selling out arenas.

And look at the cities they’re playing. Matchbox 20 is playing cities I’ve never even heard of. It looks like their the tour schedule for a state fair.

Seriously they’re playing Bristol VA, Jiffy Lube Live at noon on a Wednesday. Does that sound like a band who is selling out arenas? Lol

And your Manson link says it is his 15th tour with 124 stops worldwide. Interestingly he’s also playing the same amphitheater in Bristol as Matchbox 20.

Sadly it isn’t noon on a Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have to say there's some irony in the lead guitarist of Limp Bizkit dishing this out against another heavy metal artist. Maybe Wes didn't do it all for the nookie?
That’s not irony.

In fact it is super weird to suggest because a guy was in a crappy numeral band that he supports sexual assault. Like super weird. Almost, but not quite, weirder than Boreal’s obsession with Manson.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-04-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #2253
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post

This is hilarious.

Just when I thought this couldn’t get weirder. This is truly some of the most amazing performance art I’ve ever seen or you are a certified Marilyn Manson stalker.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:52 AM   #2254
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect he is scarred from the day is mother took him to an anti - Marilyn Manson protest and made him hold a sign that got on the news and he was ostracized at school ruining his childhood. Let the man grieve.

As an aside who knew that all the crazy church mom’s were right.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #2255
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I feel like I need to take up for Bristow, VA.
That Jiffy Lube Live venue holds 22,000+ attendees.

Last edited by SportsJunky; 02-04-2021 at 08:05 AM.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 08:16 AM   #2256
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My brother got free tickets to a local metal festival where Manson was one of the headliners a couple years ago, he said Manson by far had the best live show of the entire festival and he's not a fan.

Weird how its finally catching up to Manson now, he just lost his record deal because of these recent allegations. I've been hearing this stuff about him for decades, everyone that spends any time around him quickly considers him the worst piece of #### they've ever met. Rose McGowan came out about him long ago.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:19 AM   #2257
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I feel like I need to take up for Bristow, VA.
That Jiffy Lube Live venue holds 22,000+ attendees.
Ha! I only picked on it because it has a stupid name.

End of the day. manson and matchbox seem to be playing similar venues for a summer tour.

I may have had them confused with the superstar song from Shrek guys who were playing county fairs.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:29 AM   #2258
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I may have had them confused with the superstar song from Shrek guys who were playing county fairs.
I love Smushmoth.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #2259
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Whoa. Whoah, WHOA!!! I will not have you disparage the good name of ... them.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #2260
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just when I thought this couldn’t get weirder. This is truly some of the most amazing performance art I’ve ever seen or you are a certified Marilyn Manson stalker.
Let's be honest here. You are the main source of weirdness in the last few pages of this thread.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote