Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2021, 08:17 PM   #2221
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll admit I haven't been following the polls very closely, but it seems like Farkas' numbers haven't moved much from the start of the campaign? Seems like he has his base but no one is really moving towards him (or off him). Wonder if a few people start dropping out if that'll be his death blow - can't image he's picking up many voters who are currently supporting other candidates, right?

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2021, 08:43 PM   #2222
Bs&Cs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Where did I say that?

There may have been a rush to judgement in removing him from cabinet - especially considering that his accuser has shown herself to not be a reliable source. Trudeau did not grant Kent the latitude he has afforded himself on these types of incidents.
Hehr revealed his true form long before any of that. I mean... Did you hear what he said to the thalidomide people? What public servant (or anyone in any position, really) tells someone dying of defect and disease (caused by their employers negligence btw) that it's probably good that they'll be dead soon because they'll be less of a burden on the taxpayer that way. Seems like a real stand up guy. That was after he was booted off VA for similarly deplorable behaviour.

The sexual harassment stuff is really just icing on the cake. Completely unfit for public office.
Bs&Cs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bs&Cs For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 10:10 PM   #2223
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I'll admit I haven't been following the polls very closely, but it seems like Farkas' numbers haven't moved much from the start of the campaign? Seems like he has his base but no one is really moving towards him (or off him). Wonder if a few people start dropping out if that'll be his death blow - can't image he's picking up many voters who are currently supporting other candidates, right?

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I can't imagine that Farkas' campaign is happy with where the polling is right now. It definitely looks like Gondek has more room to grow and all the momentum. But, Gondek is still more dependent on young voter turnout. Especially after competing for attention with the federal election, candidates are going to have to work hard to prevent voter fatigue and convert turnout.

Also, one of my favorite subplots of this election is Mainstreet. Given that they were so embarrassingly wrong last mayoral election here, I can't imagine how important it is for them to get it right this time.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:16 AM   #2224
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bs&Cs View Post
Hehr revealed his true form long before any of that. I mean... Did you hear what he said to the thalidomide people? What public servant (or anyone in any position, really) tells someone dying of defect and disease (caused by their employers negligence btw) that it's probably good that they'll be dead soon because they'll be less of a burden on the taxpayer that way. Seems like a real stand up guy. That was after he was booted off VA for similarly deplorable behaviour.

The sexual harassment stuff is really just icing on the cake. Completely unfit for public office.
I have heard a couple hilarious stories about Hehr from very reliable friends and I trust every word. The guy is just… just don’t vote for him. Do everyone in this city a favour and don’t vote for him.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #2225
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I haven't noticed it this time, but in previous elections, a lot of houses in my neighbourhood tend to have signs for multiple candidates. I always thought it was kind of weird. Sure, sometimes different household members would vote differently, but it was a lot of houses that did this. I figured it was people said yes to anyone who asked to put one up.
It suggests to me that the homeowners are concerned more with civic participation than partisanship. Nothing wrong with that.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #2226
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I just realised recently that I haven't seen a single Colley-Urquhart sign in Ward 13. Not a single one. Anyone else seen any? Is she just planning to coast to re-election without spending much? She's past her sell by date but I'd rather have her over the Chandler slate candidate (McLean who has the most signs by far). The other candidate, Unsworth, has a bunch of signs out there too, but nowhere near as many.

EDIT: I was surprised reading up on the candidates that only Unsworth lives in the ward. I would've thought that would be a requirement of running. It's not?

Last edited by Swift; 09-08-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:33 AM   #2227
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at a random Walmart this morning and who did I see but mayoral candidate, Kent Hehr.

It wasn’t clear if he was out campaigning or just buying some groceries (he was by himself), so I didn’t talk to him. Let’s just say I hope he finishes behind Larry Heather in the race — I don’t want him winning or taking votes from a better candidate like Gondek.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #2228
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I just realised recently that I haven't seen a single Colley-Urquhart sign in Ward 13. Not a single one. Anyone else seen any? Is she just planning to coast to re-election without spending much? She's past her sell by date but I'd rather have her over the Chandler slate candidate (McLean who has the most signs by far). The other candidate, Unsworth, has a bunch of signs out there too, but nowhere near as many.

EDIT: I was surprised reading up on the candidates that only Unsworth lives in the ward. I would've thought that would be a requirement of running. It's not?
Does DCU ever have signs? I've lived her for 12 years and can't remember seeing any in great number. Sadly, her winning is almost automatic here.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #2229
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

https://www.660citynews.com/2021/09/...ton-sentenced/

Quote:
He’ll serve 40 days in jail, be fined $20,000, and is not allowed to attend gatherings that breach health orders.
Is this now enough for this guy now to not run in the mayoral race?
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:51 AM   #2230
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post
https://www.660citynews.com/2021/09/...ton-sentenced/

Is this now enough for this guy now to not run in the mayoral race?
Personally, I want him to continue to be on the ballot.

He's not going to win, and best case scenario, he pulls some votes that would have otherwise gone to Farkas.

The real question is, does he serve his 20 weekends here first, or does his upcoming jail time in Ontario take precedence once he's sentenced?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:23 PM   #2231
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
It's also lazy IMO. If you truly want to be the mayor, put your name in early and run a good campaign. Don't just sign up on the last day and try to get by on name recognition.
I disagree with this because I don't believe the municipal election campaign should begin before Labour Day. Everyone who has been campaigning for a year are the problems.

So many awful things about how things are done in the States have slowly crept into Canadian politics, but one of the worst is the almost-constant campaign cycle.

I think the last thing we should be encouraging is the idea that you have to be out campaigning for a year ahead of time if you hope to get elected.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #2232
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty surprised to see Davison lagging so far behind in the polls. I figured his balance between Gondek and Farkas would have had more appeal.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #2233
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1435238490514542604
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:37 PM   #2234
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I'm pretty surprised to see Davison lagging so far behind in the polls. I figured his balance between Gondek and Farkas would have had more appeal.

I just don’t think he is very well known outside his ward. I mean, I recognize that he is a councillor, but that’s it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:58 PM   #2235
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I disagree with this because I don't believe the municipal election campaign should begin before Labour Day. Everyone who has been campaigning for a year are the problems.

So many awful things about how things are done in the States have slowly crept into Canadian politics, but one of the worst is the almost-constant campaign cycle.

I think the last thing we should be encouraging is the idea that you have to be out campaigning for a year ahead of time if you hope to get elected.
I don’t think you need a thousand yard signs out in January, but if he was intent on running what is he waiting for?

I do think things will start to ramp up after next week and that includes Davison’s camp as well. I guess we’ll see how serious he is about running and getting elected.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:01 PM   #2236
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I don’t think you need a thousand yard signs out in January, but if he was intent on running what is he waiting for?

I do think things will start to ramp up after next week and that includes Davison’s camp as well. I guess we’ll see how serious he is about running and getting elected.
Isn't there still about 45 days until the election though? Like that seems like more than enough time for a campaign in general. And really...nothing has happened other than lawns signs and maybe the odd flyer at this point. Farkas had signs up months and months ago, and I'd really prefer that wasn't the case (not just because it's him, although that may be colouring my view here!)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:46 PM   #2237
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I went to a Kent Hehr fundraising event at a bar as a friend was working on his team at the time. He came across as incredibly self-serving and full of hot air. He tried to talk to me about my background and completely misjudged all the issues and just gave me a really bad vibe all around.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:26 PM   #2238
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do people think Hehr would steals votes from Gondek?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #2239
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I went to a Kent Hehr fundraising event at a bar as a friend was working on his team at the time. He came across as incredibly self-serving and full of hot air. He tried to talk to me about my background and completely misjudged all the issues and just gave me a really bad vibe all around.
Lol, like every politician? I think that every politician who gets elected is something of a narcissist.

The vitriol about Hehr entering this is rather hilarious.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #2240
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Lol, like every politician? I think that every politician who gets elected is something of a narcissist.

The vitriol about Hehr entering this is rather hilarious.
So is the one guy who knows him saying he'll vote for him just because of that and getting irked anytime someone says something bad about him, to be fair.

Maybe people just don't like your friend, man. It happens.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat