Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2022, 06:46 PM   #2201
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
But if you never have to learn how to do something, nor hone your skill at doing it, when the tech isn’t there for you then you are lost and might as well be a small child.
I know people who require GPS to get from the front parking lot at chinook to the back one.

With my one friend, we could be separated by one street and I'll try directing him on the phone. As soon as I start listing street numbers or east/west he is lost.

How did people without this natural inclination for directions make it in the map/road sign days? I honestly wonder lol.

Of course I think I might struggle a bit myself, though thankfully I am good with direction and retracing steps which helps some.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:53 PM   #2202
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm going to a Kijiji address or somewhere I don't know, I draw a little map on a post-it note. Just the act of drawing it commits it mostly to memory, and I can glance at it if I forget. My maps are super simple.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:03 PM   #2203
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
Which takes the conversation full circle to Cecil!
I think most of the age demographic here have all grown up for part of our lives without so much tech or an app doing things like navigating, communicating, accessing finances, controlling our boarding passes, delivering our food and shopping, etc that we can still function normally when those things go down. This doesn’t seem to be the case for the general public though.

What will the younger generation do in the future if they receive something written in cursive? I guess they’ll scan it with their Google Cursive to Print app.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:12 PM   #2204
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I know people who require GPS to get from the front parking lot at chinook to the back one.

With my one friend, we could be separated by one street and I'll try directing him on the phone. As soon as I start listing street numbers or east/west he is lost.

How did people without this natural inclination for directions make it in the map/road sign days? I honestly wonder lol.

Of course I think I might struggle a bit myself, though thankfully I am good with direction and retracing steps which helps some.
This exact thing happened to me yesterday. My friend picked me up at North Hill mall to drive me home after I dropped off a Uhaul. I live 3km away and it’s only 4 straight forward streets to take. No one who’s lived in Calgary for decades, nor has their passenger that knows the way too should need to map it. So she starts leaving the parking lot but gets in the lane to go west on 16th Ave, but I live in Sunnyside. I said, why not just go east to 14th or 10th street, I don’t live that way. Her app was telling her to go that way so she went that way. She lives in Bankview and has been to our place for a decade so it’s not like she doesn’t know the inner city. Wild to me.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 07:35 PM   #2205
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This exact thing happened to me yesterday. My friend picked me up at North Hill mall to drive me home after I dropped off a Uhaul. I live 3km away and it’s only 4 straight forward streets to take. No one who’s lived in Calgary for decades, nor has their passenger that knows the way too should need to map it. So she starts leaving the parking lot but gets in the lane to go west on 16th Ave, but I live in Sunnyside. I said, why not just go east to 14th or 10th street, I don’t live that way. Her app was telling her to go that way so she went that way. She lives in Bankview and has been to our place for a decade so it’s not like she doesn’t know the inner city. Wild to me.
That's wild. I think it's a thing with certain people where no matter how familiar they are with an area, they just cannot mentally map out the route between themselves and their destination when they get on the road. I also think some people are highly anxious about road travel and will miss their turnoffs as a result without some help.

That commitment to the GPS reminds me of this
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 07:38 PM   #2206
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think most of the age demographic here have all grown up for part of our lives without so much tech or an app doing things like navigating, communicating, accessing finances, controlling our boarding passes, delivering our food and shopping, etc that we can still function normally when those things go down. This doesn’t seem to be the case for the general public though.

What will the younger generation do in the future if they receive something written in cursive? I guess they’ll scan it with their Google Cursive to Print app.
Give me paper boarding passes or give me death.

...Well, maybe not that dramatic, but paper+passport > phone+passport
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 09:21 PM   #2207
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

yep... somefolks cannot navigate 3 blocks away except using a Map App TELLING them block by block what to do. You can literally point them in the right direction and say "3 blocks... no turns.. at the stop sign... first house on your right with big big red truck with truck nuts" and they go wrong way 1 block, turn, another block, cut through a back alley, u-turn, etc...

I know several people that literally still do not know their north, east, west, south directions despite living in Calgary for over a decade. Sun comes up....? where? (generally)... Mountains are which direction? Edmonton is "up" (north) or ???*

================================
Optional answer:

???* = armpit of Alberta (or other dark place)
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:33 AM   #2208
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Aches and pains from doing basic stuff grinds my gears.

Yesterday I swatted away a wasp and somehow did something to my deltoid. Still hurting this morning.

A couple weeks ago I messed up my back for a few days just by sitting up in bed one morning.

I've been dealing with on and off knee issues for the past couple years too.

Getting older ####ing sucks, and I've only just entered my 40s (actually just typing out that number for the first time is depressing too)
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2022, 09:24 AM   #2209
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Aches and pains from doing basic stuff grinds my gears.

Yesterday I swatted away a wasp and somehow did something to my deltoid. Still hurting this morning.

A couple weeks ago I messed up my back for a few days just by sitting up in bed one morning.

I've been dealing with on and off knee issues for the past couple years too.

Getting older ####ing sucks, and I've only just entered my 40s (actually just typing out that number for the first time is depressing too)
Wait until you hit 50. I actually felt 25 years old right up to 45, but years 47-50 were a drastic change with grey hairs, prostate issues, aches and pains, etc. It's like a clock in my body struck 12. I'm still feeling good at 50 but I did feel like I was cheating aging for a while.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2022, 10:11 AM   #2210
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I go to the doctor about persistent pain and injuries these days, after the careful explanation of the tests, X-rays, and ultrasounds, the conclusion is basically “you’re doing pretty well for someone your age, but you can’t really prevent this sort of degeneration of your body.”
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2022, 10:19 AM   #2211
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I don't think that it is thinking skills as much as it is stress level.

People get needlessly stressed by what are mostly unimportant inconveniences. Folks start to focus too much on why they're angry instead of what the solution is.
Ohhhh man this is my dad. Guy gets worse and worse every time I see him. “Stupid blah blah,...
That’s like that idiot...
Moronic thing...
I hate...
You know...
Stupid no I said...
Why do stupid...”
####ing relentless, non stop bitching about every thing.

I’m sure it’s the result of a pretty boring homelife once the kids moved out, and zero hobbies. Guy works a lot and doesn’t do much else except watch TV with my mom. Pretty sad to see them getting less and less happy with life
Old 09-06-2022, 12:29 PM   #2212
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Ohhhh man this is my dad. Guy gets worse and worse every time I see him. “Stupid blah blah,...
That’s like that idiot...
Moronic thing...
I hate...
You know...
Stupid no I said...
Why do stupid...”
####ing relentless, non stop bitching about every thing.

I’m sure it’s the result of a pretty boring homelife once the kids moved out, and zero hobbies. Guy works a lot and doesn’t do much else except watch TV with my mom. Pretty sad to see them getting less and less happy with life
Based on dealings with my wife's and my parents is that they start losing patience as they age and get frustrated much easier.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #2213
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And I've noticed people of our parents generation are for whatever reason not receptive to learning or implementing self-soothing strategies at their advanced ages.

For whatever reason, they actually seem ..fine with being broken records, having the same spats over the same problems and running into the same frustrations and experiencing them fully each time, rather than taking a different course of action or learning to lessen their own suffering.

One thing I've learned (or hope to) from them is to not get too set in my own ways, and always try to remain open to new ideas and new ways of going about things. And maybe most importantly, being open to accepting help when it's needed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #2214
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
And I've noticed people of our parents generation are for whatever reason not receptive to learning or implementing self-soothing strategies at their advanced ages.

For whatever reason, they actually seem ..fine with being broken records, having the same spats over the same problems and running into the same frustrations and experiencing them fully each time, rather than taking a different course of action or learning to lessen their own suffering.

One thing I've learned (or hope to) from them is to not get too set in my own ways, and always try to remain open to new ideas and new ways of going about things. And maybe most importantly, being open to accepting help when it's needed.
That's easy to say when you are young, energetic, and have grown up with the marked changes in technology and society in general.

I think a lot of the complaining, and frustration by the older generation comes from changes being forced on them, without consideration for their situation and ability to adapt e.g. the forced use of changing technologies by government and others.

Also there seems to be a certain lack of respect and appreciation for the elderly, and the departed in our society, which in my opinion is a significant loss.

On a lighter side, it's funny how conversations in social settings, changes with age. It seems to go from discussing children, to physical deficiencies, to medications, to dealing with death.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2022, 02:29 PM   #2215
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone who thinks their generation won’t be grumpy, annoying, and irrational when they become seniors is kidding themselves.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #2216
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Based on dealings with my wife's and my parents is that they start losing patience as they age and get frustrated much easier.
I find I am losing patience as my parents age as well...........

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2022, 02:38 PM   #2217
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

My boomer parents loved to talk about how they went around chanting "don't trust anyone over 30" back in the '60s.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 03:10 PM   #2218
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm, bad rant.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-06-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:20 PM   #2219
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good grief.

My wife's mom is starting to lose her memory and her hearing. Clearly it's her lack of willingness.

No, dude, it's because her body and mind are starting to deteriorate.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:10 PM   #2220
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Good grief.

My wife's mom is starting to lose her memory and her hearing. Clearly it's her lack of willingness.

No, dude, it's because her body and mind are starting to deteriorate.
Even stuff that isn't strictly biological limitations are tough for the elderly.

Can a 90 year old really be expected to navigate self-checkout machines? Mobile only ticketing for events? How about the arrivecan app?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: