Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2024, 04:52 PM   #201
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
Fighting is penalized, not banned. Banning it would mean automatic ejections and suspensions for it.
If it’s so horrible then they’ll suspend people for it. But then the fighting is in my biology crowd will get mad at the NHL, and they make up a significant portion of the fan base, so I doubt it will happen as long as Bettman is around.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 05:13 PM   #202
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't care if they banned fighting in hockey. It would happen no matter what. Fights are not allowed in most sports but they still happen. The NHL has done well to reduce fighting and increase safety. It is at a historic low, no less, if someone took a run at bedard, you better believe they would try and beat the #### out of the guy. Hell if they made the punishment a 10 game sussy, then teams would dress plugs who they didn't care if they missed games to help deflect people targeting their star players.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 05:32 PM   #203
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba17 View Post
Except the NHLPA has to agree, and they have fought in negotiations every single time changes in fighting rules have come up. The only one they lost was on bench clearing brawls.

Ask the NHLPA why they don't agree to outlaw fighting, or ask them why every time there is suspension they stick up for the suspended member BEFORE they ever stick up for the injured member.
I don’t know that the NHLPA has to agree to rule changes. The League changes rules every year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 05:39 PM   #204
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
If it’s so horrible then they’ll suspend people for it. But then the fighting is in my biology crowd will get mad at the NHL, and they make up a significant portion of the fan base, so I doubt it will happen as long as Bettman is around.
The percentage of people strongly opposed to removing fighting (14%) is far smaller than the percentage who feel the game would be better off without it (43%) and who strongly support a ban (34%). https://researchco.ca/wp-content/upl..._14Jan2022.pdf

They seem pretty insignificant in comparison.

At least one study has also shown that instead of “policing the game” or acting as a “deterrent, the level of violence and specifically violent penalties actually increases following a fight: https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksa...udy-finds/amp/
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 05:53 PM   #205
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The percentage of people strongly opposed to removing fighting (14%) is far smaller than the percentage who feel the game would be better off without it (43%) and who strongly support a ban (34%). https://researchco.ca/wp-content/upl..._14Jan2022.pdf

They seem pretty insignificant in comparison.

At least one study has also shown that instead of “policing the game” or acting as a “deterrent, the level of violence and specifically violent penalties actually increases following a fight: https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksa...udy-finds/amp/
Thanks for that. I suppose the outspoken ones (as usual) have more anecdotal representation.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:55 PM   #206
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

No #### a gameis chippier after a fight, the fights happen because players are pissed off.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:57 PM   #207
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
No #### a gameis chippier after a fight, the fights happen because players are pissed off.
Half the time the game just dies after a fight. If it’s a real fight with people who matter, that wakes up people.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:48 PM   #208
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what the rate of CTE is in the NHL. Seems kinda wild that the NFL seems to be more cognizant of the issue to player health.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:36 PM   #209
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

So so sad. Another one lost to CTE and suicide.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:14 AM   #210
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I wonder what the rate of CTE is in the NHL. Seems kinda wild that the NFL seems to be more cognizant of the issue to player health.
They didn't go their voluntarily. There was a lot of media criticism that became popular that they had to focus on it. The NHL isn't as big, and it's likely there's moderately less cases than the NFL/football, so it doesn't draw too much attention.

The NHL has taken steps to address head shots in the game, and the graph posted earlier shows that fighting is around the lowest it's been in the league. So steps to address future CTE concerns seems to be getting addressed somewhat.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 09:35 AM   #211
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The primary target in a hockey fight is the head, and a knockout (concussion) is applauded by a lot of the people who want to retain fights. The inevitable outcome for some of the frequent fighter players is CTE.

It’s time to get rid of executives like Daly and make fighting a match penalty.

The Flames have a tough player whom we really like (Pospisil) who, because of his concussion history, should never be taking part in a hockey fight. And I’m sure there are more than a few players in the NHL in a similar position.
Steve Bozek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 10:36 AM   #212
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
The primary target in a hockey fight is the head, and a knockout (concussion) is applauded by a lot of the people who want to retain fights. The inevitable outcome for some of the frequent fighter players is CTE.

The Flames have a tough player whom we really like (Pospisil) who, because of his concussion history, should never be taking part in a hockey fight. And I’m sure there are more than a few players in the NHL in a similar position.
Daley frankly couldn't respond any differently with a lawsuit pending.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 11:37 AM   #213
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post

And yet some, including in the media, have called for Pospisil to fight because of the style of game he plays.
How f'd up is that? Everyone knows he's had several concussions and the long-term impacts of several of them. And yet people still want him to fight.

Disgusting.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 11:47 AM   #214
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
And yet some, including in the media, have called for Pospisil to fight because of the style of game he plays.
How f'd up is that? Everyone knows he's had several concussions and the long-term impacts of several of them. And yet people still want him to fight.

Disgusting.
In the young stars game against the Oiler I saw Pospisil take 5 strides into a player who was on his knees squishing his head into the boards. It was by far the dirtiest hit i've seen in a pro game. No suspension, no penalty. Pospisil, can be a very dirty player, he is no lamb.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:49 AM   #215
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Disgusting.
Hockey has gone soft! - Yes its becoming as soft as typical human brain tissue

If they ban fighting, I am done as a fan. - Good, can you promise to stop having kids too.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 11:51 AM   #216
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Disgusting.
Or how Tkachuk was pressured into fighting a goon because he made a clean hit. The code yo!
Old 03-21-2024, 12:49 PM   #217
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
In the young stars game against the Oiler I saw Pospisil take 5 strides into a player who was on his knees squishing his head into the boards. It was by far the dirtiest hit i've seen in a pro game. No suspension, no penalty. Pospisil, can be a very dirty player, he is no lamb.
Not suggesting he is a lamb, and for what it’s worth, I hope he learns to keep the aggressive play within the rules. But for that kind of hit, a player deserves a major penalty +/- ejection from the game +/- a suspension or fine - not a fight with another player in which each player is trying to give the other a concussion.

Last edited by Steve Bozek; 03-21-2024 at 12:52 PM.
Steve Bozek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 02:04 PM   #218
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m fine with eliminating fighting from the game, it’s not why I watch. But it does surprise me to see people defending boxing and UFC as a counterpoint.

The point is either eliminating those sports due to the long term health effects, or allowing willing combatants of their own free will. It’s an interesting debate, but you can’t be ok with fighting sports that promote blows to the head, but against the occasional hockey fight.

Having said that, it is obviously easier to eliminate it in hockey, most people will still be there to watch the game. Not sure if MMA or boxing can exist if you eliminate head shots.

As for jobs and the unions involvement, the jobs are there regardless, it just isn’t fighting ability that will impact a players chance of being one of the few that make it in the NHL.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:22 PM   #219
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Separate point
But yes those hits should be hit with massive suspensions
In fact hitting beyond what is required to get the puck back should be banned
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:00 PM   #220
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see an in between of the best of both worlds. No ban on fighting BUT:

- limit the amount of fighting majors a team can have over the course of the 82 game schedule. Fine the team each time it goes over
- could do the same as above but limit the fighting majors to the player per season
- if fights happen, no head shots. Just body shots

With fighting as a whole, purist see it as a necessary part of the game for momentum. Occasional fans see it as an interesting differentiator from other sports.

Fighting is way down already. Is CTE going forward a huge concern? I'm not sure. But you can build better parameters around it so that the stupid premeditated fights are done. Those fights are so dumb. Fighting should be in the heat of the moment.

Between what I posted above and keeping helmets on, it really shouldn't be a big deal going forward, especially if you limit the amount of fights per season to 20 or something.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote