Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2023, 11:59 AM   #201
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Well, we’re not in any position to acquire premium 18 year old players either, so parlaying some of the assets we acquire for pending UFAs into good (obtainable) pieces seems a whole lot smarter.
Why are we not in a position to get premium 18 year olds? Stacked drafts often produce 10 or so star players throughout the first round. 2003 had supertstars scattered throughout the 1st round.

We need more draft picks in this years 1st round and maybe add a couple next year too.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 12:00 PM   #202
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lionizing Detroit is fine and all, but posters have to recognize it's easy to do it *now* given that 7 years of finishing ~7th is behind them (?).

Part of the problem with the rebuild/tank posture is that we tend to assess it when it's of interest to us. So yeah Detroit looks poised now and that's attractive, but how about we dial it back 7 years and ask posters to sit through 560+ games of 7th place finishes first? Not so attractive then. And I'd wager plenty on here would crack by season 3 or 4 and want to start splashing some cash.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 12:10 PM   #203
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Why are we not in a position to get premium 18 year olds? Stacked drafts often produce 10 or so star players throughout the first round. 2003 had supertstars scattered throughout the 1st round.

We need more draft picks in this years 1st round and maybe add a couple next year too.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
Lionizing Detroit is fine and all, but posters have to recognize it's easy to do it *now* given that 7 years of finishing ~7th is behind them (?).

Part of the problem with the rebuild/tank posture is that we tend to assess it when it's of interest to us. So yeah Detroit looks poised now and that's attractive, but how about we dial it back 7 years and ask posters to sit through 560+ games of 7th place finishes first? Not so attractive then. And I'd wager plenty on here would crack by season 3 or 4 and want to start splashing some cash.
After the Tkachuk trade was over, we could have kept Monahan, traded Huberdeau and Weegar, and we'd have had every bit the balance sheet Detroit has in one month rather than seven years.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 12:36 PM   #204
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Exactly.

After the Tkachuk trade was over, we could have kept Monahan, traded Huberdeau and Weegar, and we'd have had every bit the balance sheet Detroit has in one month rather than seven years.
But they didn’t
At what point do we move on from that?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 12:39 PM   #205
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
But they didn’t
At what point do we move on from that?
When that bleeding horse is finally dead.

Which is never.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 12:49 PM   #206
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Exactly.

Based on what? Your best guess?

Regardless, it’s moot. The organization has and continues to say its objective is to remain competitive. Conroy has said his first priority is resigning Lindholm. The only way I see the Flames taking a step backwards is if they can’t sign him. At that point, their hand may be forced.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 12:58 PM   #207
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post

“More draft picks” =/= premium 18 year old players. Even if those picks are late first rounders. Top 5? Sure, maybe, but in most situations outside the top ten, it’s guys who might turn into anywhere from a good to great player 3-5 years after the draft. You want a premium 18 year old player and you’re picking top 5 in this draft, and that’s not happening for us.

We know the team is not rebuilding and we know we still need to add some youth. Moving out Lindholm, Hanifin, Toffoli, Backlund, etc for picks and then sitting on our hands isn’t going to happen so let’s stop pretending it’s on the table, right? Getting younger by converting some of those assets into guys like Konecny is just smart management.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:09 PM   #208
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
“More draft picks” =/= premium 18 year old players. Even if those picks are late first rounders. Top 5? Sure, maybe, but in most situations outside the top ten, it’s guys who might turn into anywhere from a good to great player 3-5 years after the draft. You want a premium 18 year old player and you’re picking top 5 in this draft, and that’s not happening for us.

We know the team is not rebuilding and we know we still need to add some youth. Moving out Lindholm, Hanifin, Toffoli, Backlund, etc for picks and then sitting on our hands isn’t going to happen so let’s stop pretending it’s on the table, right? Getting younger by converting some of those assets into guys like Konecny is just smart management.
Once again Detroit is a good example. 6 top ten picks in the last 6 drafts with another one coming up in this years draft. And some are arguing today that they shouldn’t be trying to improve. Whether it’s Calgary or Detroit or whoever, I don’t think there’s a team in the league that would take that option seriously.
Old 06-18-2023, 01:11 PM   #209
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Believe Koenecny’s wife is from Calgary and he offseason’s here. Good reason to think he would be a guy who wants to be here and sign long term. That’s part of the reason the Flames should pursue him.
Perhaps skepticism I'd getting me here. But it seems like the Flames trade Lindholm for futures than immediately flip them to get Konecny. So you trade a strong two way center who's been pretty durable because you don't like the future price and contract. In return you get a smaller winger who has been less durable who needs a similar type contract in two seasons. To me that just recycles the same problem. I don't see how you ever become a better team making moves like that.

Would much rather keep the futures and than see what the discount is on a guy like Hayes to bring back some right now help. Avoid the premium guys and see what the discount bin of the back end of older contracts offers and build a new base with the good young assets you keep. You also have to hunt like hounds for the Chandler Stephenson's of the world to help supplement the team with some found money. That's the only way I see them advancing the team if they're not going to tank type of thing.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 06-18-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:24 PM   #210
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Perhaps skepticism I'd getting me here. But it seems like the Flames trade Lindholm for futures than immediately flip them to get Konecny. So you trade a strong two way center who's been pretty durable because you don't like the future price and contract. In return you get a smaller winger who has been less durable who needs a similar type contract in two seasons. To me that just recycles the same problem. I don't see how you ever become a better team making moves like that.

Would much rather keep the futures and than see what the discount is on a guy like Hayes to bring back some right now help. Avoid the premium guys and see what the discount bin of the back end of older contracts offers and build a new base with the good young assets you keep. You also have to hunt like hounds for the Chandler Stephenson's of the world to help supplement the team with some found money. That's the only way I see them advancing the team if they're not going to tank type of thing.
My argument has been to trade Hanifin for the picks/prospects that would allow the Flames to make a pitch for Koenecny. Lindholm resigning with the Flames would have to be part of this scenario.

If the Flames are going to lose both Hanifin and Lindholm, then, yes, it’s probably best to stockpile picks/prospects with the intent of a retool/rebuild.

Part of the intent would be to create a top line of Huberdeau-Lindholm-Koenecny.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:35 PM   #211
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Yeah they are very far away still from being a contender. I think the Hronek trade signaled the same, if Yzerman though they were close he would not be trading big pieces like that. Heck, they weren't even close to a playoff spot. And none of their "core" pieces match up well against championship caliber teams, maybe with the exception of Seider who looks like a star in making.
Things can turn around fast if you have good young players. Two season ago, the Devils were the third worst team in the NHL. This season, they finished with the third best record.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 06:36 PM   #212
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thoughts?

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2023/0...him-to-arizona
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 06:40 PM   #213
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
must be on drugs.

huberdeau, kylington, phillips and our 16 OA for their 13 OA and a 3rd?

feel dumber having read that.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 06:52 PM   #214
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
must be on drugs.

huberdeau, kylington, if he returns to form phillips UFA might be gone anyway and our 16 OA for their 13 OA and a 3rd and 10.5 million?

Why?
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teroy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 06:55 PM   #215
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

That website code is nearly as bad as its content.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 06:59 PM   #216
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dumbest idea.

And people wonder why no one wants to play in Canada. We’re always trying to write off our players before they even play longer than 100 games in a Flames uni.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 07:00 PM   #217
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
must be on drugs.

huberdeau, kylington, phillips and our 16 OA for their 13 OA and a 3rd?

It's not real or anything but..
You get a potential franchise player doing that. The 16/13 swap isn't major, Phillips is nothing at this point, Kylington hasn't played in a year and Huberdeau might be a bigger question mark than him. You do that deal.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 07:11 PM   #218
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Dumbest idea.

And people wonder why no one wants to play in Canada. We’re always trying to write off our players before they even play longer than 100 games in a Flames uni.
It’s a fine idea if they do a tear down rebuild that Huberdeau probably wouldn’t want to be part of anyway. I don’t expect them to do it but I think the value is fine. Move up in a good draft. Philips rights are worthless. Kylington might be worth a second or third and is a UFA next year and they basically hit the reset button on a rebuild.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 07:12 PM   #219
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why?
you are jumping up 3 spots and getting a third, that's why. The player you get at that spot is on the same 'shelf' as the 16th pick.

Huberdeau, as poorly as last season went, still got you 55 points last year. On a team without a lot of offensive talent.

Lose Kylington and from what it sounds like, Hanifin too and suddenly your depth doesn't look so hot.

There is no UFA defensemen this year to fill those voids.

Cap room is only useful if guys like Lindholm and Hanifin want to stay; which I am not convinced about.
I hate the Huberdeau contract, but that proposal is absurd... not to mention AZ wouldn't pay Hubie that money either, considering how poor their finances are.

now if the play is to burn it down, you do that deal, but that's never an option for the Flames.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 07:13 PM   #220
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
It's not real or anything but..
You get a potential franchise player doing that. The 16/13 swap isn't major, Phillips is nothing at this point, Kylington hasn't played in a year and Huberdeau might be a bigger question mark than him. You do that deal.
No you don't

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jaikorven For This Useful Post: