Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #2081
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I have to say, OneNote is actually quite nice. I can see myself using this a lot. If you guys have access to a US account, I'd suggest not passing up the chance to get this one for free.

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-19-2011 at 12:16 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #2082
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I have to say, OneNote is actually quite nice. I can see myself using this a lot. If you guys have access to a US account, I'd suggest not passing up the chance to get this one for free.
I downloaded it just based on the hoopla and because it was free. But I don't even know what it's for exactly...

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #2083
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
The description sounds a lot like evernote. Any noticeable differences?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #2084
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
OneNote (at least the PC version) is a lot more fully featured than Evernote, but handles the same basic task. It integrates with most MS Office products, like you can, draw pictures, create and manage tables, add a task on your page and it will add it to your calendar. You can also put in printouts of files, such as PDFs or other files, and I think embed (or maybe it just links to) media.

The newer versions handle syncing with Office Live, but you can always just sync a notebook with Dropbox etc since the notebook it is just a single file.
I use it to handle all my notes for school, so every time I am finished a class, I drop it in my archive folder for later.

I am assuming most of these features are available on the iPhone version, if only in a simplified form.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #2085
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's a better note taking application with a full featured editor.

Evernote STILL has problems with a basic bullet list.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #2086
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I downloaded it just based on the hoopla and because it was free. But I don't even know what it's for exactly...
Quote:
Completely missed this somehow...

It's kind of like evernote, but a lot better. Snap a picture, take some notes, make a list, etc etc. It works great, and it syncs with your Windows Live account. If you also use Office 2010 (ie: OneNote 2010), then all of your notes are automatically sync'd back to your PC as well.

I didn't do the Evernote thing, because I despise setting up new accounts for stuff unless it's something that serves a very real purpose. Everyone has a Live (Hotmail) account, though.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #2087
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They should have released OneNote on Mac with the Office 2011 suite. Till then, Omnifocus+Evernote for all my productivity.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #2088
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
They should have released OneNote on Mac with the Office 2011 suite. Till then, Omnifocus+Evernote for all my productivity.
Yeah, it irks me that they didn't include OneNote with Mac Office. I don't get what that was all about, it's not like someone's going to give up their Mac and go back to a PC for the sake of OneNote.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #2089
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

#&%$ guys. It took them 13 years to make Outlook.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #2090
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Ok, super noob question. But why are my notes and calendar transferring between my iPad and iPhone 4 automatically? I do not have a paid mobile me account, just the find my phone feature, and I thought that was required to push the notes to the cloud and between the devices. I do however, have gmail on both devices, and have the checkboxes for the sharing notes contacts etc, all checked off. I get that if you use the gmail calendar and notes, it will push this info, but when I enter it using the standard apple icons preinstalled on the devices it is still pushing this info, even if I am at the other end of the city. If this is the case, what is the point of mobile me? Or have I some how been signed up for me without my consent? Or is it maybe sharing this info over the wifi at work and home.... I confuse.
Ok, so an update on this. I was in the Apple store tonight and asked about this. And yes indeed... if you have a gmail account and any amount of OS4 devices, it indeed will update/push the calendar and notes automatically to all of the devices as long as the all the switches in the gmail settings are turned on, on all devices. Then I said to Apple guy ," So in other words, MobileMe is a ripoff, when you can get this on gmail for nothing" He just kinda looked side to side then grinned and raised his eyebrows. Like, lol...umad?

The only thing that is buggy, is turn off the calendar updates in your gmail account, as they will override your device settings once it pushes. On gmail the default setting is 10 mins, just shut that off and it will sync seamlessly, and go by whatever alert duration you set on your phone/iPad.

Last edited by pylon; 01-19-2011 at 10:34 PM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #2091
CrusaderPi
Redundant Minister of Redundancy
Self-Banned

Exp:

I don't want anybody else, when I think about you iTouch myself.
CrusaderPi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrusaderPi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #2092
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderPi View Post
I don't want anybody else, when I think about you iTouch myself.
Song quoting hipster doofus.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #2093
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Now that find my iPhone is free MobileMe is less of a desirable product. I still like it because I use iCal on my macs and because I'm the only guy on the planet who uses the photo galleries.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #2094
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

http://www.ifixit.com/blog/blog/2011...w-your-iphone/
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #2095
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a question for you iphon guru's. I have a bricked original Iphone from a friend that I want to jailbreak and play around with. I don't know which os it is running and everytime I guess the jailbreak doesn't work because I am using the wrong os. Is there a way to find out what os you are on if you don't have access to the phone? it will only let me make emergency calls and if I plug it into Itunes it asks for a supported sim card
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #2096
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I have a question for you iphon guru's. I have a bricked original Iphone from a friend that I want to jailbreak and play around with. I don't know which os it is running and everytime I guess the jailbreak doesn't work because I am using the wrong os. Is there a way to find out what os you are on if you don't have access to the phone? it will only let me make emergency calls and if I plug it into Itunes it asks for a supported sim card
By original do you mean 2G? Silver back? or 3G?

You need to "hacktivate" it and unlock it. Pretty simple process. (The model of your phone will unveil the answer :P)
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #2097
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

2g we are talking old school here!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #2098
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
2g we are talking old school here!
What version of firmware are you trying to load onto it?

Make sure it's 1,1. That's the original iPhone.

http://www.iphoneheat.com/2010/02/do...re-3-1-3-ipsw/
Old 01-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #2099
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So when my buddy wiped to restore when he upgraded it would have sent the phone back to 1.1? I thought it would have kept what ever the last firmware version he had on the phone? Which we don't know what it was but definitly not 1.1
Old 01-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #2100
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
So when my buddy wiped to restore when he upgraded it would have sent the phone back to 1.1? I thought it would have kept what ever the last firmware version he had on the phone? Which we don't know what it was but definitly not 1.1
That's not what I mean

iPhone: 1,1
iPhone 3G: 1,2
iPhone 3GS: 2,1
iPhone 4: 3,1

They're like revision numbers, each model has it's select firmware. You should feasibly be able to update to 3.1.3 on the original iPhone given you have the right firmware version for the model..

Tags
angering fanin80 , apple suxors