Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2024, 03:37 PM   #2021
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there any subversive revolt we can do?

When my office building went to this brutal 1 ply super-roll sh@t ticket toliet paper I would make it a point whilst sitting there to unroll and flush as much as I could without clogging. FATA your LEED qualifications. Entire three day roll gone every time I'd crap.

It's weird, I asked the liquor store guy when they are getting rid of the plastic bags, he laughed in wonderment and said "they haven't said anything, I just keep buying them and using them".
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 06:20 PM   #2022
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

"It's complicated"

Having to use re-usable bags hundreds or even thousands of times was eye opening.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 07:06 PM   #2023
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
The property assessments in my neighbourhood are way out of whack. At least $100K above what anyone would pay for any of the houses on my block. Dilapidated shack I live beside is assessed at $605K! It would probably sell for $500 or less.

Ours is up 18% over last year, hoping that if the whole neighbourhood is up it means my taxes won't increase too much.
A $500 dilapidated shack you say...?

I am intrigued and require an address.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:20 PM   #2024
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The coop compost bag one really bugs me. Thats not a single use bag. It’s a grocery store selling multi use compost bags. It’s the optimum solution for grocery stores for the reduction of waste.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 08:52 AM   #2025
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The coop compost bag one really bugs me. Thats not a single use bag. It’s a grocery store selling multi use compost bags. It’s the optimum solution for grocery stores for the reduction of waste.
Yep. And because the co-op bags had handles, they made better compost bags than the bags sold as dedicated compost bags. So now we have to buy the inferior dedicated compost bags and use them only once, instead of using the superior co-op bags twice.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 03:12 PM   #2026
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yep. And because the co-op bags had handles, they made better compost bags than the bags sold as dedicated compost bags. So now we have to buy the inferior dedicated compost bags and use them only once, instead of using the superior co-op bags twice.
No you don't.

They still sell the bags as compost bags. They can't sell them as shopping bags anymore, but they have displays near the checkouts (apparently, they can't sell them directly at the checkouts) where you can buy a pack of 5 for 75 cents or a pack of 10 for $1.50 (so, the same 15 cents per bag price as before), and there's nothing stopping you from using them to carry your groceries after you buy them.
Old 01-06-2024, 04:58 PM   #2027
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
No you don't.

They still sell the bags as compost bags. They can't sell them as shopping bags anymore, but they have displays near the checkouts (apparently, they can't sell them directly at the checkouts) where you can buy a pack of 5 for 75 cents or a pack of 10 for $1.50 (so, the same 15 cents per bag price as before), and there's nothing stopping you from using them to carry your groceries after you buy them.
Well, you know what stops you? They’re all rolled up and it’s completely inconvenient. Like you swing in to grab something’s and a bag would be great. So you have to buy at least five when you need one. Then you have to unravel those five to get the one, and it’s entirely ridiculous.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 05:02 PM   #2028
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, but if the alternative is stuffing two onions and a loaf of bread into the pockets of your cargo shorts, it's good to have it as an option.

It's not like they thought that was the best idea, they're working with the rules as best they can.
Old 01-06-2024, 05:10 PM   #2029
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Another example is takeout containers. Single use ones are to be banned (federally), but if you use a thicker plastic that can be used multiple times, it isn't technically single-use anymore, even though most people will still only use it once.
Well-designed plastic take-out containers are actually Tupperware on a budget. I used to keep the ones I'd get from the likes of Boston Pizza when I was younger, they kicked ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well, you know what stops you? They’re all rolled up and it’s completely inconvenient. Like you swing in to grab something’s and a bag would be great. So you have to buy at least five when you need one. Then you have to unravel those five to get the one, and it’s entirely ridiculous.
But it's way less convenient than the reusable plasti-fabric bags that you take into the house then have to remember to bring outside with you to the car again.

Here's what you do:
Grab the roll of bags, go to the check-out. Immediately scan the roll of bags as your first item, then crack the roll open, roll out a bag, and put the roll INTO that bag. Then scan the rest of your groceries. If you need another bag, just yank another from the roll.

When you get back to the car, grab the roll from your shopping bag and toss it into the map pocket of your driver's door, and leave the little tail slightly hanging out. Next time you go to the store, pull off a bag or two and head inside to start shopping. Problem solved.

Co-Op's workaround is kind of genius actually. It accomplishes what we need to do with reusable bags to make them workable (keep them in your vehicle) without requiring the thing every one forgets to do (put them in the vehicle after you've used them to bring the groceries into the house).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 05:23 PM   #2030
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don’t get the the struggle with getting the reusable bags back into the car. Unpack the groceries then put the bags in the back hall under your keys and wallet. Take back to the car next time you grab your keys. Am I missing something that makes this such an issue?
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 05:29 PM   #2031
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't the Federal government still banning the COOP compostable bags still?Regardless of whether it has plastic in it or not?
Old 01-06-2024, 05:41 PM   #2032
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Isn't the Federal government still banning the COOP compostable bags still?Regardless of whether it has plastic in it or not?
They are banned as "single use plastic" grocery bags, but they're acceptable as compostable bin bags. That's why they sell them in packs of 5 or 10 away from the till.

Once you buy them, no one can stop you from putting your groceries in them.
Old 01-06-2024, 05:44 PM   #2033
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
I don’t get the the struggle with getting the reusable bags back into the car. Unpack the groceries then put the bags in the back hall under your keys and wallet. Take back to the car next time you grab your keys. Am I missing something that makes this such an issue?
Most times I walk, sometimes I drive, sometimes I stop in on the way by from somewhere else, sometimes my wife drives, walks, bikes or stops in on her way home from work via train. Bags end up in a bin at the front door.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 05:56 PM   #2034
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Well-designed plastic take-out containers are actually Tupperware on a budget. I used to keep the ones I'd get from the likes of Boston Pizza when I was younger, they kicked ass.
-snip-

The bowl lids you get Pho in fit perfectly on my ceramic bowls, so I save those lids for easy microwavable meal-in-a-bowl leftovers or soup. Even a salad serving. So convenient.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 06:25 PM   #2035
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They are banned as "single use plastic" grocery bags, but they're acceptable as compostable bin bags. That's why they sell them in packs of 5 or 10 away from the till.

Ah gotcha. Thanks for the information.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:58 PM   #2036
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure how far away from the till is but I some being sold in bins at the entrance to the till.

All these bag rules are ridiculous. Are we being legislated into a society who just carries bags everywhere all the time?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 09:14 PM   #2037
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Wait, you all are still physically going to the grocery store?
Delivery is where it's at people. That and remote work are the two best things to come out of covid.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 09:23 PM   #2038
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remote work, definitely yes. Grocery delivery - hoping that a person will pick out the best produce, or cut of meat for you - no. Not unless they’re FaceTiming with you during the selection.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2024, 03:07 PM   #2039
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Remote work, definitely yes. Grocery delivery - hoping that a person will pick out the best produce, or cut of meat for you - no. Not unless they’re FaceTiming with you during the selection.
Meh, that's annoying but not more annoying than the amount of time I get back from not having to go to the store. Most of the time if you call and say "my meat or bannas or whatever expire tomorow" they'll give you a credit.

Sucks if it's a critical item and you need to make a quick trip to the store as a follow-up but still spend way less time grocery shopping than I did before.

Generally I get the bulk of my groceries through online orders, and then just get a few fresh things from local as needed (Italian Markets are quite close to me)
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2024, 03:13 PM   #2040
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Never had an issue with that, always been happy with what I get
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote