Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #181
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Roy has been held off the scoresheet in the game against Klimchuk and the Pats, but is still a +1 bringing him to +4 on the year.
being a +1 in a 5-1 loss, not bad

happy to see that Klimchuk is doing well too ... he might not be as flashy as Poirier, but he gets the job done and quietly racks up points. He now has 16 in 10 games (5+11).

Kanzig was in action too today ... scoreless and +1 in a 3-0 victory

Last edited by devo22; 10-14-2013 at 04:19 PM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #182
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pleasantly surprised to see Coda Gordon currently 12th in WHL scoring.

He kind of fell off the radar with the influx of the new draft class and a forgettable summer development camp.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #183
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Royals won 3-0 and Kanzig was a scoreless +1
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #184
zoom
Farm Team Player

Exp:

going to watch Kanzig against the Thunderbirds in a few weeks. pretty excited to see him play.
zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #185
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kanzig is 2nd on the team with a +5, behind only his defensive partner who has a +8. They are the only two defenceman on the team that have a positive plus/minus.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #186
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After leading the 14th-ranked Providence College men's hockey team to a weekend sweep of 11th-ranked Minnesota State, Jon Gillies (South Portland, Maine) was named the Hockey East Association's Co-Defensive Player of the Week on Monday afternoon (Oct. 14). Additionally, the Friars were named the Hockey East Team of the Week.

Gillies stopped 63 of the 64 Maverick shots he faced over the weekend as the Friars beat Minnesota State by scores of 5-1 on Friday night and 3-0 on Saturday night. In Saturday's win, Gillies made 38 saves to record his sixth shutout as a Friar. He posted a .984 save percentage and 0.50 goals against average in the series sweep at Schneider Arena.

Gillies' sixth shutout moves him into sole possession of second place on the Providence College career shutouts list, one behind Tyler Sims' seven. It marks the fifth-career HEA Defensive Player of the Week award for Gillies and, combined with his five Rookie of the Week honors, his 10th weekly Hockey East award.
http://www.friars.com/sports/m-hocke...101413aac.html

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #187
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sims got his 7 shutouts in 106 games for PC. Gillies has played 37.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #188
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies is the real deal
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #189
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Gillies is the real deal
Turning pro next season. Book it.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #190
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Gillies is the real deal
Like any young goalie he needs to work on rebound control.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #191
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Turning pro next season. Book it.
It would be very interesting.

I would bet that unless every goalie prospect bombs, Gillies spends another year in the NCAA. Tough to find enough time to play their depth as it is.

MacDonald (unless both Berra and Ramo both bomb somehow) will more than likely be gone by next season, freeing up a spot. However, tough to find all the prospects enough games as it is. I wonder what the logic would be in moving Gillies to pro?

1) Everyone bombs and the Flames become desperate?
2) One of Ramo/Berra/Ortio/Brossoit (however unlikely) do outstanding, and they make a couple of moves to free up a spot?

I do think that Gillies is probably their top-ranked goalie prospect. Will be very interesting to see what happens the rest of the season with the other prospects (and if you really call Berra and Ramo prospects at this stage - though I personally do). I do think he is ready to turn pro. Definitely a wonderful problem to have in the organization (just look up north as to how it can be terrible problem). I am betting the only 'sure' thing is that MacDonald is gone - but then you have a three-headed monster to deal with in the minor system again.

Brossoit will need a lot of starts in either (or both) the ECHL and the AHL.
Ortio will probably need the same - perhaps more AHL and SOME NHL time (depending on how he is doing - but he is older and a bit further along than Brossoit).
Berra will PROBABLY be in the NHL (if I was forced to guess next season's roster)
Ramo will PROBABLY be the starter in the NHL next season - though I can see a tandem of Ramo/Berra as a 1A/1B type.

Where do you slot in Gillies to ensure everyone gets enough games? Probably too early to tell at this point in the season who the odd-men out are I guess.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #192
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
It would be very interesting.

I would bet that unless every goalie prospect bombs, Gillies spends another year in the NCAA. Tough to find enough time to play their depth as it is.

MacDonald (unless both Berra and Ramo both bomb somehow) will more than likely be gone by next season, freeing up a spot. However, tough to find all the prospects enough games as it is. I wonder what the logic would be in moving Gillies to pro?

1) Everyone bombs and the Flames become desperate?
2) One of Ramo/Berra/Ortio/Brossoit (however unlikely) do outstanding, and they make a couple of moves to free up a spot?

I do think that Gillies is probably their top-ranked goalie prospect. Will be very interesting to see what happens the rest of the season with the other prospects (and if you really call Berra and Ramo prospects at this stage - though I personally do). I do think he is ready to turn pro. Definitely a wonderful problem to have in the organization (just look up north as to how it can be terrible problem). I am betting the only 'sure' thing is that MacDonald is gone - but then you have a three-headed monster to deal with in the minor system again.

Brossoit will need a lot of starts in either (or both) the ECHL and the AHL.
Ortio will probably need the same - perhaps more AHL and SOME NHL time (depending on how he is doing - but he is older and a bit further along than Brossoit).
Berra will PROBABLY be in the NHL (if I was forced to guess next season's roster)
Ramo will PROBABLY be the starter in the NHL next season - though I can see a tandem of Ramo/Berra as a 1A/1B type.

Where do you slot in Gillies to ensure everyone gets enough games? Probably too early to tell at this point in the season who the odd-men out are I guess.
MacDonald and Ortio walk.
Ramo and Berra in NHL, Gillies and Brossoit in AHL.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #193
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
MacDonald and Ortio walk.
Ramo and Berra in NHL, Gillies and Brossoit in AHL.
I personally think Ortio sticks, though you may indeed be proven right. I am actually a bit higher on Ortio than Brossoit at this point, but I guess this is the season Ortio HAS to stand out.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #194
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe he turns pro next year as well.

And I don't care how many goalies we have - if he is better, he pushes somebody out of the way, simple as that.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 AM   #195
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

defender Rushan Rafikov (MHL): 13 games, 6 (4+2) points.
+/- = "+16" - current second in MHL
BruceCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #196
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any regular KHL followers know what Lokomotiv's defensive depth is like? I'm curious to see if Rafikov will be able to crack that lineup anytime soon.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #197
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Any regular KHL followers know what Lokomotiv's defensive depth is like? I'm curious to see if Rafikov will be able to crack that lineup anytime soon.
Via Elite Prospects, Yaroslavl Lokomotiv's defense:
-Alexei Yasilyev (36) - 1995 Rangers pick; 1 NHL GP, first season back with Lokomotiv after 2 years with Torpedo.
-Jonas Holos (26) - 2008 Avalanche pick; from Norway; played 39 GP with Avs in 2010-11 but has shuffled around SM-Liiga. First KHL season.
-Staffan Kronwall (31) - 2002 Leafs pick; 66 NHL games with Toronto, Washington and Calgary. Third KHL season, second with Lokomotiv.
-Ilya Gorokhov (36) - 1995 Rangers pick. KHL veteran. Team captain.
-Vitali Vishnevski (33) - 1998 Ducks pick (5th overall). 552 NHL games with Anaheim, Atlanta, Nashville and New Jersey.
-Mikhail Pashnin (24) - 2009 Rangers pick. First overall pick in 2009 KHL Draft.
-Yegor Yakovlev (22) - came up through their junior/farm system.
-Ilya Lyubushkin (19) - 6 games with MHL Loko, 1 game with Lokomotiv

It'll be tough for Rafikov unless there's a ton of injuries.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #198
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Like any young goalie he needs to work on rebound control.
Rebound control is something he's had problems with for a while. He's got the "puck blocker" mentality going and he'll stop a shot without great concern for the rebound.

The other issue that I think he faces is his lateral speed. Gillies loves to come out and challenge shots. This is a great aspect as long as the defence doesn't fall apart around him. Problem is that he also doesn't have the speed to make up for it if it does (at least, in the pros). I can't say he's getting use to a big goalie's body as he looks fine with that aspect, but he needs to work on getting faster and being more comfortable scrambling ala Kiprusoff.

Passing play is not great, but I'll live with a goalie who doesn't act as a 3rd D. It's just bonus if he can.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #199
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought his lateral movement was excellent for a young, and really big, guy

Rebound control is a teachable, and acquired skill, which he will get better at

His raw talent (including size) is incredible - and enough to launch him to the next level on its own
Old 10-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #200
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought his lateral movement was excellent for a young, and really big, guy
They look good for his age and size. Compared to what you need in the AHL, I wouldn't mind him working on it (though that should be obvious at that age). It only becomes an issue when his defence begins to fall apart. Irving had the same issue. That wasn't what really killed him in the NHL, but his vision (I think he had surgery on that in the offseason. Maybe that's why he looks so much better now?).

Quote:
His raw talent (including size) is incredible - and enough to launch him to the next level on its own
Certainly. I keep repeating myself on CP, but I had him pegged as a top 60 pick and was ecstatic that he fell to #75.

Last edited by kirant; 10-16-2013 at 03:23 PM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirant For This Useful Post: