Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2024, 02:41 PM   #6061
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
So teams can say no to a player but a player can’t say no to a team?
I mean the player can simply choose to not enter the draft therefor forgoing his eligibility if he so chooses. But simply put that’s the whole point of a draft… yet the College route has a known loophole that’s been used for decades.

Last edited by Royle9; 06-23-2024 at 02:44 PM.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 02:42 PM   #6062
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
So teams can say no to a player but a player can’t say no to a team?
lol

yeah, that's how it works

Supply and demand
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 03:21 PM   #6063
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
McGroarty, Perfetti, Schmidt for Andersson+Mangiapane (50% retained)+28th overall?

Landing 2 young NHL ready players would help with the retool. Steinberg has mentioned Perfetti along with Lundell as players he thinks the flames could target due to their age, and fit on the team. Florida might not be able to afford Lundell if they keep Reinhart and Perfetti wants more opportunity as well. I do doubt the jets trade both.
Schmidt is such a cap dump I think we could probably keep 28.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 04:57 PM   #6064
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
That's exactly how it works, yes. Otherwise the whole draft is pointless. Once a player becomes a free agent he can say no as much as he wants.
But it is perfectly acceptable (imo) for a player like Fox to say “thanks, but no thanks, I will wait until I can sign wherever I want”. If teams can choose to not sign draft picks surely draft picks should be allowed to not sign players.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 06:26 PM   #6065
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Honestly curious what's been alleged about Ozzy. Did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

Just know he has an awesome family story.
Ozzy thought he was to good for the AHL and used the "I'll sign in the KHL if I don't get a one-way contract
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 07:56 PM   #6066
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been talked about a ton, but I think Conroy’s chip to move back into the top part of the first round is a retained Andersson.

A couple teams with potential interest perhaps…..

Ottawa, might be a tough one but they need to solidify the back end and don’t have time to wait to develop a defensive prospect. Could a deal look like,

To Ottawa,
Andersson (50% retained)
2024 28 pick

To Calgary
2024 7 pick
Shane Pinto

Ottawa could bundle the 28 pick and Bostons first and use it to move up the draft or get a goalie (Ullmark??)

Calgary could potentially draft two of Parehk, Buium, Iginla, Catton

New Jersey, tons of youngsters but they need some stability and a retained Andersson gives them that.

To NJ
Andersson (50% retained)
2024 2nd (41)

To Calgary
2024 10 pick
Seamus Casey

Allows Flames to draft a dman with 10, or load up on skill forwards in Catton, Iginla, Eiserman since getting Casey in return. Still be good dman available at 28.

Buffalo, lots of young defense signed but raw and inexperienced.

To Buffalo
Andersson (50%)

To Calgary
2024 11 pick
Peyton Krebs

Probably a good reason why I’m not a GM….haha. But as Conroy mentioned, could be an opportunity to sign veteran UFAs to bigger AAV without term to fill the gap. There are a number of quality UFA defenseman available.
Sofa GM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 07:59 PM   #6067
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I dont think we need to retain on Rasmus in that deal, especially taking Pinto. Buium and Iginla would be great. Let next year be the year we take the right Center.
Niemo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 08:11 PM   #6068
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

No thanks on Krebs, he is a bust imo.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 08:14 PM   #6069
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No thanks on Krebs, he is a bust imo.
Agreed, wondered if he could end up being a 3rd line center. But yes not the most attractive part of the return.
Sofa GM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 08:14 PM   #6070
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Under the terms of the CBA, players actually can't recuse themselves for the draft. If you fall into an eligible category for selection, you're eligible.

Teams can renounce picks, players can refuse to sign, and players can campaign to NOT be selected, but eligibility is automatic.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 12:02 AM   #6071
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
Been talked about a ton, but I think Conroy’s chip to move back into the top part of the first round is a retained Andersson.
That literally can't happen. With the Hanifin, Tanev, and Markstrom trades, they have maxed out their 3 retention slots. They can't retain any more salary until the Hanifin and Tanev contracts officially end on July 1.
Old 06-24-2024, 12:06 AM   #6072
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
That literally can't happen. With the Hanifin, Tanev, and Markstrom trades, they have maxed out their 3 retention slots. They can't retain any more salary until the Hanifin and Tanev contracts officially end on July 1.
Not true according to the language of the CBA.

There is no such thing as a ‘retention slot’; that's just media shorthand. What the CBA states (shortly put) is that a team can only pay salary on three retained contracts during any given league year.

The Tanev and Hanifin contracts were fully paid out in 2023-24, and salary retention on Markstrom does not begin until 2024-25. The team can retain on two more contracts, and does not have to wait until July 1 to do so.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:55 AM   #6073
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn’t Anderson's value increase substantially closer to the TDL? Unless the return is 7 OA I just don’t see it.

Plus, I can’t see Conroy starting the season with only one proven NHL defender. I guess he could bolster through FA. But that will almost certainly be a big downgrade from Rasmus.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 05:01 AM   #6074
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Doesn’t Anderson's value increase substantially closer to the TDL? Unless the return is 7 OA I just don’t see it.

Plus, I can’t see Conroy starting the season with only one proven NHL defender. I guess he could bolster through FA. But that will almost certainly be a big downgrade from Rasmus.
I'd like to push back on that argument a little.

Closer to the deadline you're likely dealing with contenders which makes the 1st round picks less valuable than if you were dealing with the OTT, BUF, or NJD of the world.

Also, I think there's value at having Andersson gel with your team for the entire season. Instead of disrupting existing chemistry by slotting him on your 1st pairing mid season.

Finally, Andersson is already signed at a great cap hit so the cap savings would probably amount to $2.5-3M on the first year or around 3% of the cap. IMO having him in the lineup for 50 more games would gain the team more points and wins than $3M spent on a UFA.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 06:40 AM   #6075
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I'd like to push back on that argument a little.

Closer to the deadline you're likely dealing with contenders which makes the 1st round picks less valuable than if you were dealing with the OTT, BUF, or NJD of the world.

Also, I think there's value at having Andersson gel with your team for the entire season. Instead of disrupting existing chemistry by slotting him on your 1st pairing mid season.

Finally, Andersson is already signed at a great cap hit so the cap savings would probably amount to $2.5-3M on the first year or around 3% of the cap. IMO having him in the lineup for 50 more games would gain the team more points and wins than $3M spent on a UFA.
Can’t argue with any of this, but it’s hard to imagine Conroy trading him now. I’m ‘full send’ on the rebuild, so while I think Anderson is great I’d still like to see him traded to help progress the rebuild.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 06:42 AM   #6076
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post

I agree with what gvitaly has to say about this.

In most cases when value spikes at the deadline, that’s for rentals. Guys who are on their last year and the majority of their earnings have been paid out. The acquiring team gets the player, in most cases, for limited time and commitment. In other words the player being acquired is bit of a mercenary.

In Andersson’s case, he has two years left. Teams like Ottawa or Buffalo would likely see him as a player they would want to keep beyond the two remaining years. As it’s been pointed out, both of these teams need a string of playoff appearances. 13 years for Buffalo and 7 for Ottawa? Those organizations badly need to flip the script. Not only do they continue to run the risk of apathy from fans, they run the risk of the same from the players they have now annd indifference from players around the league. Case in point, Markstrom’s clear preference was NJ, the Devils have at least shown they can make the playoffs. There’s already rumblings about Tkachuk and whether the clock is ticking there. The fact there’s smoke here at all should incentivize Ottawa even further to act now.

Due to Buffalo’s depth on the blue line I’m not sure Andersson would be their target. Their top 4 seems set and if Skinner is bought out I wonder if they’ll be looking for some scoring help more than D. Many could be of interest but that’s a different price point for them and the type of player whose value could spike at the TDL. I could see Ottawa but wonder if they would want to include one of Cabot or Chychrun. I think they have a preference to keep Chychrun due to contract and performance. They are too deep at LHS D and could use the LH/RH balance.

Here’s my thought:

Andersson + Mangiapanne + 28OA
Chabot + 7OA + 39OA

Ottawa gets more balance on the blue line, also upgrade their middle LW. They also get a first which is important given they’ll need to surrender one of the 26 or 27 1st round picks. It’s in their best interest that pick, 26/27, is as low as it can be so they aren’t giving up a top 10 or so pick.

Calgary gets a top 4/ppQB with four years remaining headed into his 27/28 year old season. Certainly there is some risk here but cap space won’t be an issue, and if the Flames intend to weaponize this, here’s an example. 7OA, self explanatory, also pick up a second. I’ve suggested this year but it could be next.

This puts the Flames in position to take two of the top 12 that are on most draft lists. As well, Anderson out/Chabot in doesn’t seem to jeopardize the outlook for the Flames rebuild/retool over the next 2-4 years.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 06:50 AM   #6077
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked how Rhett Warrener talked himself into trading Razz this offseason live on air, and I agreed with him. The Flames are now at the point where keeping Razz really doesn't do anything for either party.

Poor Weegar gets left in the lurch a bit, but nobody thought this organization would have to blow it up this way anyways.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:20 AM   #6078
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd love to see Andersson traded to Buffalo or Ottawa for their 2024 1st but both teams have pretty good bluelines. I don't see a huge need. Especially when either team could also draft a high end defensive prospect with those picks. Feels like the Markstrom situation where we're all hoping for another top 10 pick but it's probably not likely.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 07:32 AM   #6079
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

IMO, Ottawa chose to not give up their 1st this year and I can't see them trading that pick away. Them saying it's available feels hollow. The Boston pick though, maybe they move it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 07:45 AM   #6080
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Fox said the same thing he’s saying when he stiffed the Flames.. “doesn’t see enough room for a spot, too much depth”
It’s what these US kids are trained to say by their advisors.

They usually don’t come out and say “screw Winnipeg, who wants to play there am I right?” They try to politely play it off like they’d love to sign but they just don’t see a path to the NHL.

If he wanted to sign and he was ready, the Jets would make room.
I’d wager my left nut he wants a higher profile US market.
Well said.

It's like the Flames and their "remain competitive" thing ... you can't just take every sound byte as proof of a concept.

Everyone is spinning everything all the time.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good