Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2024, 12:41 PM   #3481
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Sure. But with every acquisition your GM and scouts do their best due dilliegence to determine things like that. You collect as much data as you can and try to make the best educated decision.
That goes without saying.

GM’s and scouts can only do so much. They can create the environment for a player to grow and develop but, ultimately, it is up to the player, the person, to author their own trajectory.

Placing the responsibility of growth and development at the feet of the organization, is misplaced. It’s up to Zegras to expand and grow his skill set.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 03:48 PM   #3482
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
We should only acquire embryos. Buy early! Buy cheap!
They have futurity stakes in horse racing, why not hockey?

Clearly the Flames' big mistake was not drafting Tij Iginla in the womb.
Old 05-25-2024, 04:45 PM   #3483
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
He did?

I would be surprised by that. I remember him saying/hinting that he was looking for established NHL guys who need an opportunity to "pop" or whatever term he used.

Necas would most assuredly fall into that grouping.
He said he would be willing to trade picks for that age group.

Picks are hard to get, you don’t waste them on guys who may pop.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 05:29 PM   #3484
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
That goes without saying.

GM’s and scouts can only do so much. They can create the environment for a player to grow and develop but, ultimately, it is up to the player, the person, to author their own trajectory.

Placing the responsibility of growth and development at the feet of the organization, is misplaced. It’s up to Zegras to expand and grow his skill set.
Noone has said his growth and development is the responsibility of the organization. Their responsibility is to determine if they see potential in a player or not. Just like any "buy low" situation. And if all it took was Coronato and 28th OA to land a 23 year old with legit top 6 potential then they'd be foolish to not atleast explore it. The guy has back to back 60+ pts seasons and barely played last year. That's far from being a bust. No one knows what he is at this point but that's why you pay scouts and a GM, to make those types of calls.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:13 PM   #3485
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
He said he would be willing to trade picks for that age group.

Picks are hard to get, you don’t waste them on guys who may pop.
Ummm, that is what draft picks themselves are. Prospects who may or may not pop..
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 08:09 PM   #3486
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Ummm, that is what draft picks themselves are. Prospects who may or may not pop..
We need to make our picks. Can’t be spending picks for roster players. We need to pick and develop our players.

We aren’t even in the cycle of adding players at the moment. Can’t have guys 26 and over having career years and pushing us out of top 5.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:21 PM   #3487
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
We need to make our picks. Can’t be spending picks for roster players. We need to pick and develop our players.

We aren’t even in the cycle of adding players at the moment. Can’t have guys 26 and over having career years and pushing us out of top 5.
This is my worry. We blow draft picks to get someone like necas. All he will do is down our chances in the draft. We arent one player from being a threat, but one player could be the difference between picking ten and five.

Feel the same about anderson and i think the longer Anderson actually plays the lower his value will be.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 08:54 PM   #3488
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
This is my worry. We blow draft picks to get someone like necas. All he will do is down our chances in the draft. We arent one player from being a threat, but one player could be the difference between picking ten and five.

Feel the same about anderson and i think the longer Anderson actually plays the lower his value will be.
Yeah. I’d do Necas for Markstrom.

He is also motivated to put up points with a larger role. That doesn’t help us now.

We need star players and really the only way to get them is in the top 5.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:01 PM   #3489
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah. I’d do Necas for Markstrom.

He is also motivated to put up points with a larger role. That doesn’t help us now.

We need star players and really the only way to get them is in the top 5.
In this weird draft i would he happy getting another pick between 10 and 15. Really happy with that rumour that conroy is trying to get a second pick.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 09:03 PM   #3490
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I doubt Zegras wants to be in Calgary.
Hopefully not. He belongs with robbie schremp on YouTube not on nhl ice. He is a bad player.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 09:03 PM   #3491
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of red flags with Necas it seems

That's a pretty solid org that apparently wants to cut him loose. Him being a -9 on a team loaded with double digit positive players, especially when he starts out in the O zone 66% of the time. Concerning, especially when you have to give up assets to get him and then pay him a boatload of money to keep him.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 07:18 AM   #3492
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

That's a pretty solid org that apparently wants to cut him loose. Him being a -9 on a team loaded with double digit positive players, especially when he starts out in the O zone 66% of the time. Concerning, especially when you have to give up assets to get him and then pay him a boatload of money to keep him.
The other thing I find concerning about Necas is that when it was time to bolster their roster, the Canes went out and brought in Kuznetzov who is a natural C.

If they felt Necas could reliably play a top 9 role at C, why do that? Evidently, they don’t think he can. Factor in his age, I’m not sure why this particular player makes sense for the Flames. If the Flames can get him for Markstrom (which seems unlikely from a Canes perspective), sure, I suppose it might be worth the roll of the dice. I’d really have a hard time seeing the Flames giving up picks or younger players for Necas though. That would be disappointing.

Hold the picks, or as Conroy himself has said, find guys in the 18-23 window.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:40 AM   #3493
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hurricanes think Necas folds when the going gets tough in the playoffs and isn’t a big game player. He’s a poor man’s Elias Petterson. They’re not afraid to move on from a guy who doesn’t fit their approach and culture.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:46 AM   #3494
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Hurricanes think Necas folds when the going gets tough in the playoffs and isn’t a big game player. He’s a poor man’s Elias Petterson. They’re not afraid to move on from a guy who doesn’t fit their approach and culture.
I think the Hurricanes have proven that mediocre goalie = lack of playoff success. Hopefully they too have discovered this. They can move on from Necas but they have a far bigger problem if they truly want to do some damage in the playoffs.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 10:08 AM   #3495
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

He isn't a center and apparently has his mind set on being one, even though he can't win a face-off to save his life.

I would be very skeptical about going after him, especially paying a big price.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:24 AM   #3496
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like there will be a bit of a bidding war for Necas. Dhaliwal out in Vancouver saying that the Canucks are heavy after Necas as well. I've been seeing Mikhayev going back the other way in a potential trade as the Canucks aren't happy with his play since they signed him to that big deal.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:27 AM   #3497
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not a fan of Necas. Too inconsistent. And I don’t believe he plays center, been primarily a RW
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:32 AM   #3498
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Necas is a stud. Would be all over him if I was the Flames management.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:47 AM   #3499
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Sounds like there will be a bit of a bidding war for Necas. Dhaliwal out in Vancouver saying that the Canucks are heavy after Necas as well. I've been seeing Mikhayev going back the other way in a potential trade as the Canucks aren't happy with his play since they signed him to that big deal.
Don't know how anyone is going to outbid Mikhayev. Perhaps we can get him by offering Kevin Rooney.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:57 AM   #3500
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Necas is a stud. Would be all over him if I was the Flames management.
Honest question, how so?

He was already offered up as a piece in the Tkachuk deal. Had a breakout season and the Canes are, apparently, still looking to move him. This from one of the more analytically based organizations.

Also, I still think the Canes bringing in Kuznetzov is an indicator as to how they felt about Necas being able to do the job at C. Evidently, not much.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good