Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2024, 12:41 PM   #3441
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Moving 28th OV for Necas would certainly not be "wasting" the draft pick that's for sure.
I would rather move Markstrom for him.

28th would be ok, but not anything more.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 01:22 PM   #3442
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I would rather move Markstrom for him.

28th would be ok, but not anything more.
Necas is a big tall 1st round pick who has put up .9 ppg and is just entering his prime. Aside from the age, you can only hope that your 28th overall pick gets close to that.

Last edited by Iniggywetrust; 05-24-2024 at 05:10 PM.
Iniggywetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 01:34 PM   #3443
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Last year at the draft.

Many here, not just me, expected Hanifin to get that 1st on draft day or right before it. And a #### ton were disappointed with the Toffoli return (not me, its been documented here, humble brag).

Point being, its hard to move up or get top 10-15 picks in the draft. Much harder than it used to be.
In the last 5 drafts teams have moved up into the top 12 nines times from outside the top 12, almost twice per draft.

In the 2001-2009 drafts (9 drafts) it happened 9 times. Not sure how it is hard these days to move up, it happens at a fairly frequent rate.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 01:42 PM   #3444
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniggywetrust View Post
Me as is a big tall 1st round pick who has put up .9 ppg and is just entering his prime. Aside from the age, you can only hope that your 28th overall pick gets close to that.
His pts % is .67

We have to be careful and selective of who we trade our picks for. He also wants out of a winning organization that is consistently in the hunt for a championship.

We are going to be a bottom 5 team next season, so adding players to plump us up from bottom 5 to the position we are in right now doesn't help. The only way out of this situation is drafting really well always, but its critical we hit the picks the next 3 drafts.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 01:51 PM   #3445
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
In the last 5 drafts teams have moved up into the top 12 nines times from outside the top 12, almost twice per draft.

In the 2001-2009 drafts (9 drafts) it happened 9 times. Not sure how it is hard these days to move up, it happens at a fairly frequent rate.
This made me think about just picks within the top 15 moving at all...and how frequent it is.

2018:

12th OV: F#$#ing Travis Hamonic Trade

14th OV: Braden Schenn for 2018 1st, and 2017 1st.

2019:

4th OV - the Duchene trade - not really moving the pick once it was established as 4th OV but the reason you see trade protection on picks today.

11th OV - 14 + 45 were moved for 11 Draft Day Trade

2020:

3rd OV - the Karlsson trade - once again more of just an ill advised trade with no protection led to Ottawa getting 3rd OV

13th OV - the Marleau cap dump - another case where the pick was moved before it was established and the team trading it didn't expect to be giving up a top 15 pick

2021:

9th OV - The Garland/OEK for 9th OV and cap dumps deal (WTF was Vancouver thinking) Draft Day Trade

12th OV - Seth Jones + 32 for Boqvist, 2022 1st, 12th OV, 2nd rounder (WTF was Chicago Thinking) Draft Day Trade

14th OV - Rasmus Ristolainen for 14th OV, 2nd , Hagg Draft Day Trade

15th OV - 15 for 23, 48, 138 Draft Day Trade

2022:

6th OV - the aforementioned Seth Jones trade

7th OV - Debrincat for 7th OV + 2nd + 3rd (WTF was Ottawa thinking) Draft Day Trade

11th OV - 11 for 27, 34, 45 (This is what Flames would have to mimic with pick 28) Draft Day Trade

15th OV - Romanov / Dach / 15th OV three way deal Draft Day Trade

2023:

12th OV - Chychrun for 12th OV, 2024 2nd, 2026 2nd

So a couple of things.

1) If you want to acquire another pick in the top 15...Rasmus Andersson is the tool to do that (Romanov, Chychrun, Jones, Hamonic, Ristolainen, etc)

2) To move up from 28 into the top 15 is likely going to require both of their 2nd round picks (41 and 59-62).

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-24-2024 at 02:09 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 02:50 PM   #3446
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Not sure if it deserves its own thread - Scott Arniel named as Jets new head coach
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 05-24-2024, 03:25 PM   #3447
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ric Bowness looks so tired on SN. That guy needs a long vacation.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:26 PM   #3448
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m not moving 28th + Coronato for Zegras that’s for sure.
Woof what a terrible idea.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 05:15 PM   #3449
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
His pts % is .67

We have to be careful and selective of who we trade our picks for. He also wants out of a winning organization that is consistently in the hunt for a championship.

We are going to be a bottom 5 team next season, so adding players to plump us up from bottom 5 to the position we are in right now doesn't help. The only way out of this situation is drafting really well always, but its critical we hit the picks the next 3 drafts.
I meant .9 ppg over the course of a season, career average will always bring down ppg at this stage of his career.

I also don’t see the draft as the only way out. Picking up good players from teams where it’s not working out is also a good part of the strategy. I don’t fully buy into wondering in the desert as the only solution, sometimes it works out and you get a Mcdavid, sometimes you’re the coyotes or sabres who stay lost forever. Being competitive has it advantages.

Don’t trade the picks for established veterans but getting young players who may be blocked by other talent is never a bad idea. Especially for a 28th overall pick.

Would you have traded Lindholm for the same package except exchanging the 1st for Necas. I sure would.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:02 PM   #3450
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Funny reading some Leafs fans expectations of a Marner trade. Leaf fans actually believe anaheim would give up their 3rd overall plus Zegras and another +.

Delusional.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:51 PM   #3451
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Steinberg and Gilbertson are also desperate for anything Flames related to talk about in late May
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:41 PM   #3452
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Steinberg and Gilbertson are also desperate for anything Flames related to talk about in late May
So am I.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:50 PM   #3453
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I’m not moving 28th + Coronato for Zegras that’s for sure.
Woof what a terrible idea.
Zegras is more skilled with a higher ceiling. Definitely wouldn't be a terrible trade. Zegras isn't a perfect player by any means but neither is Coronato.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:36 PM   #3454
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the problem with Zegras might be that he’s a locker room problem, and perhaps plays for himself and not the team. There has to be a big reason they want to trade him so bad…

Seems like an affable guy in front of the cameras, but that could be translating to arrogance and entitlement behind the scenes. Otherwise, I would do the above proposed trade in a heartbeat.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:37 PM   #3455
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're going to start trading firsts, and pooling assets to trade for quality, Zegras isn't the player to be targeting. I would rather take my chances with the 28th pick and Coronato.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 10:50 PM   #3456
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poke around the RFA list of you want to trade the Vancouver pick. Zegras IMO is the player you bring in after you set you new core.

Think Evander Kane and Edmonton.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:24 PM   #3457
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Poke around the RFA list of you want to trade the Vancouver pick. Zegras IMO is the player you bring in after you set you new core.

Think Evander Kane and Edmonton.
Solid example
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:30 PM   #3458
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Zegras is more skilled with a higher ceiling. Definitely wouldn't be a terrible trade. Zegras isn't a perfect player by any means but neither is Coronato.
I think the hesitation had more to do with the 1st
Old 05-25-2024, 12:51 AM   #3459
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Funny reading some Leafs fans expectations of a Marner trade. Leaf fans actually believe anaheim would give up their 3rd overall plus Zegras and another +.

Delusional.
I've been listening to NHL Network a lot more during the playoffs. Today, I believe it was on the Steve Kouleas' show, one of the guys (not Kouleas) suggested that Marner winds up in Vegas. He speculated that Vegas goes out and makes things happen when they want to get something done and they can probably make it happen with William Karlsson and Shea Theodore...

All he based that on was salary and that Vegas will pay for players they want. I found it to be an interesting suggestion. Karlsson (5.9) & Theodore (5.2) combined are 11.1, which is only 0.2 more than Marner. Leafs need defense and get to keep a solid forward, a solid playoff player at that too, and add defense for slightly less than what they're paying Marner.

I really don't know if it would work out but it was an interesting suggestion.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 12:58 AM   #3460
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I think the problem with Zegras might be that he’s a locker room problem, and perhaps plays for himself and not the team. There has to be a big reason they want to trade him so bad…

Seems like an affable guy in front of the cameras, but that could be translating to arrogance and entitlement behind the scenes. Otherwise, I would do the above proposed trade in a heartbeat.
Plausible, but being a bit of a player with amazing individual skills but not so good on the team play doesn't necessarily mean a locker room problem. He could just be the guy who Anaheim thinks they can trade for a player who pushes the needle in the playoffs and they don't want to wait for him to round out his game. It could be that management just doesn't think he'll turn into a well rounded playoff leader or don't have the patience to wait for him to get there.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good