Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2024, 04:46 PM   #541
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Does anyone else never really think about tipping (the concept) “offline”?

I’m not sure what happens, maybe I’m a genius, but my brain kind of just goes auto-mode. It’s like, I know when I would tip and when I wouldn’t, and I tip when I would and not when I wouldn’t, and being prompted to tip when I wouldn’t otherwise tip doesn’t make me think “should I be tipping?” or “I can’t believe they want me to tip!” or “Man I HATE tipping culture!” I just click the No Tip button the same as I click the OK button to confirm what I’m paying and not a single thought goes through my pretty little head.

Sometimes I have to click the amount button and purposely enter zero which admittedly is an extra step at Starbucks but by god I somehow manage.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 04:49 PM   #542
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It actually makes me feel good pressing the 0 tip option at places that don't deserve it.

Similarly I say no very loud and proud when the cashier asks me if I'd like to donate money to whatever charity.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:58 PM   #543
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I yearn for the day North America joins most other non-North American countries in their tipping system. It's absurd that workers need to subsist on tips to survive.
This is such fake news. Most civilized countries in the world tip the same way north Americans do.
Old 05-24-2024, 04:59 PM   #544
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
It actually makes me feel good pressing the 0 tip option at places that don't deserve it.

Similarly I say no very loud and proud when the cashier asks me if I'd like to donate money to whatever charity.
I like to say “#### those kids” instead of “No”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 05:14 PM   #545
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
"K-Town"

Is this a thing?

Tip - Don't call it K-Town

How about Kelownafornia?

Tip - stay in your lane.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 05:15 PM   #546
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The charity dollar at Safeway ask is way worse than the tipping thing.

You Don’t want to give us money to donate to a charity, we get all the cred and take a portion? And tax break. Fata you! The absolute worst. Like stealing someone’s wallet and donating a portion then shout from the rooftops that you are virtuous.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 06:30 PM   #547
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is such fake news. Most civilized countries in the world tip the same way north Americans do.
What? This is absolutely not true.

I've traveled to almost every first world country. Canada and the United States are definitely unique in their mandatory tipping culture. Throughout Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, tips are appreciated but 100% not expected.

Meanwhile, in Japan, it's actually considered rude to tip a server.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 06:41 PM   #548
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
What? This is absolutely not true.

I've traveled to almost every first world country. Canada and the United States are definitely unique in their mandatory tipping culture. Throughout Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, tips are appreciated but 100% not expected.

Meanwhile, in Japan, it's actually considered rude to tip a server.
Mandatory??? Who makes it mandatory. It isn't mandatory any where. It is appreciated. I've also been to Australia as my cousins live in Sydney and we tipped at every restaurant we' were at.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:57 PM   #549
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just remembered my wife told me when she went to lululemon in Sydney the terminal had a tipping option.

So yeah Australians do tip or some definitely expect a tip even if online sites tells you differently.

Every terminal at every restaurant had the tip option.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:06 PM   #550
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just remembered my wife told me when she went to lululemon in Sydney the terminal had a tipping option.

So yeah Australians do tip or some definitely expect a tip even if online sites tells you differently.

Every terminal at every restaurant had the tip option.
Having the option doesn’t mean it’s expected.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:07 PM   #551
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Having the option doesn’t mean it’s expected.
How would you know? You're not a server in Australia and don't know what they're thinking. The fact they have the option then might lead me to believe it's expected.

If a lululemon store had a tipping option...something I've never seen in North America then it may be expected.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:08 PM   #552
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I remember the good old days when you needed to at the very least pretend to be a news media outlet to have what you’re saying labeled as fake news.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:10 PM   #553
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I remember the good old days when you needed to at the very least pretend to be a news media outlet to have what you’re saying labeled as fake news.
It was fake news. I always hear how other countries don't have tipping culture then I visit other countries and they do have tipping cultures. May be less than here or the U.S but anywhere I've visited had a tipping culture.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:13 PM   #554
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How would you know? You're not a server in Australia and don't know what they're thinking. The fact they have the option then might lead me to believe it's expected.
How do you know it isn’t? How do you know what they’re thinking?

I’m reasonably confident that the servers, salesperson or whichever worker you want to use as your excuse to be unnecessarily argumentative don’t have control over what options are available on the POS machine.

Quote:
If a lululemon store had a tipping option...something I've never seen in North America then it may be expected.
So you agree then that having the option doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s expected? Glad we were able to get through that.

Last edited by iggy_oi; 05-24-2024 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:15 PM   #555
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was fake news. I always hear how other countries don't have tipping culture then I visit other countries and they do have tipping cultures. May be less than here or the U.S but anywhere I've visited had a tipping culture.
You consider a random post on a message board to be fake news?

You’re really slaying it toknight
Old 05-24-2024, 07:20 PM   #556
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How do you know it isn’t? How do you know what they’re thinking?

I’m reasonably confident that the servers, salesperson or whichever worker you want to use as your excuse to be unnecessarily argumentative don’t have control over what options are available on the POS machine.

You're the one making the claim that it isn't expected. Not me making the claim that it is expected. Like you know what the thousands upon thousands of people who work in Australia's hospitality industry expect. You can't just label a country of 26 million people and say tipping isn't expected. If the terminals have the option then it MAY be expected. Don't see how you can make the conclusion that it isn't expected.

If the machines had no option to tip and the lululemon stores machine didn't have the option to tip then I may agree with you.

When you go get subway in Calgary and the terminal asks for a tip is it expected? I'd say no it isn't. Same as a sandwich shop in Australia. It may not be expected.

Sit down Restaurant in Calgary? Yes. Sit down Restaurant in Sydney? Yes.

Last edited by Zary's-Mustache; 05-24-2024 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:22 PM   #557
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You consider a random post on a message board to be fake news?

You’re really slaying it toknight
It was tongue in cheek, relax a bit there buddy.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:36 PM   #558
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're the one making the claim that it isn't expected. Not me making the claim that it is expected. Like you know what the thousands upon thousands of people who work in Australia's hospitality industry expect. You can't just label a country of 26 million people and say tipping isn't expected. If the terminals have the option then it MAY be expected. Don't see how you can make the conclusion that it isn't expected.

If the machines had no option to tip and the lululemon stores machine didn't have the option to tip then I may agree with you.

When you go get subway in Calgary and the terminal asks for a tip is it expected? I'd say no it isn't. Same as a sandwich shop in Australia. It may not be expected.

Sit down Restaurant in Calgary? Yes. Sit down Restaurant in Sydney? Yes.
I literally said having the option doesn’t mean it’s expected, your response here is that some places have the option and it’s not expected.

If you agree with me that having the option doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s expected what’s with all the rambling trying to argue against me on something that you agree with?

Are we gonna have to make a bet on this next?
Old 05-24-2024, 07:37 PM   #559
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Tipping has started to leach into popular travel destinations, specifically tourist spots and restaurants.

Locals almost resoundingly do not tip or tip a euro here or there.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 07:50 PM   #560
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I literally said having the option doesn’t mean it’s expected, your response here is that some places have the option and it’s not expected.

If you agree with me that having the option doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s expected what’s with all the rambling trying to argue against me on something that you agree with?

Are we gonna have to make a bet on this next?
I originally said some definitely expect a tip, pay attention to the "some " in response to someone saying tipping isn't expected in Australia.

Let's not label a country of 26 million people and say tipping isn't expected. Some make it seem like US and Canada are only places with tipping culture, that is just false..or fake news.