Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2024, 05:28 PM   #1741
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Vancouver does a much better job of promoting their team, engaging the fan base etc. The in game entertainment is also great whenever I have gone to see a Flames game at Rogers Arena. The content they put up online is way better, a lot more behind the scene stuff, a day in the life of (insert player, coach, trainer, team facility)

Player amenities at Rogers Arena seem to be much better as well as evidence by major renovations done over the course of the years. I recall the Dome underwent a reno in the locker rooms for the 2012 World Jr tournament and then we had the 2013 floods that resulted a in quick redo but not much else.

Vancouver may be no good but enough players, agents and other issues both with the team, organization and more highlight we are probably not very good either.

Z also probably doing a pot shot at the team since he wanted the big contract and wasn't going to get it here.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:34 PM   #1742
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am curious if any of the Canuck fans that post here are now rooting for the Oilers.

I am absolutely disgusted by some of the Canuck fans I have talked to around my work who say they are now rooting for the Oilers. What the hell is wrong with you people?
Old 05-23-2024, 05:34 PM   #1743
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In-game entertainment is what is on the ice during play. Wrigley Field has none of the gimmicks that other places do and it's a wonderful place to watch baseball, devoid of distractions.

Doesn't really seem like a good time to put any money into the Dome when we are getting a brand new state of the art facility. Disappointed that Zadorov would say something like that but he doesn't seem to mind burning bridges.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:45 PM   #1744
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
In-game entertainment is what is on the ice during play. Wrigley Field has none of the gimmicks that other places do and it's a wonderful place to watch baseball, devoid of distractions.

Doesn't really seem like a good time to put any money into the Dome when we are getting a brand new state of the art facility. Disappointed that Zadorov would say something like that but he doesn't seem to mind burning bridges.

I don't see anything really offensive with what he said. Calgary is the #2 market share team in AB. Canucks have all of BC which has a large population than AB. They are the 2nd largest English market in Canada, the #1 hockey market in the world.

The NHL ALWAYS puts Vancouver and Toronto west coast games on Saturday night since the combined market is that large, Calgary get's the Tuesday or Thursday game usually.

Born and raised Calgarian and die hard Flames fan but I don't have an issue admitting the fanbase in Edmonton is way more hardcore. They live and breath the Oilers up there. I can't even count how many times I have tried getting late season tickets to a Flames/Oilers game in Edmonton with them being last place and the tickets costing a fortune and the place sold out. The Dome doesn't sell out these days much at all and a string of sellouts probably pre-dates the 2015 energy crash.

Maybe new ownership/management/building can inject some life into this franchise. I am in my late 30's and even I am getting sick of the losing and lack of excitement.

Obligatory Vancouver and Edmonton is NO GOOD!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 06:00 PM   #1745
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I don't see anything really offensive with what he said. Calgary is the #2 market share team in AB. Canucks have all of BC which has a large population than AB. They are the 2nd largest English market in Canada, the #1 hockey market in the world.

The NHL ALWAYS puts Vancouver and Toronto west coast games on Saturday night since the combined market is that large, Calgary get's the Tuesday or Thursday game usually.

Born and raised Calgarian and die hard Flames fan but I don't have an issue admitting the fanbase in Edmonton is way more hardcore. They live and breath the Oilers up there. I can't even count how many times I have tried getting late season tickets to a Flames/Oilers game in Edmonton with them being last place and the tickets costing a fortune and the place sold out. The Dome doesn't sell out these days much at all and a string of sellouts probably pre-dates the 2015 energy crash.

Maybe new ownership/management/building can inject some life into this franchise. I am in my late 30's and even I am getting sick of the losing and lack of excitement.

Obligatory Vancouver and Edmonton is NO GOOD!
I don't disagree with you, or even Zadorov for that matter. What he said is empirically true. It just seems petty to me. He chose to sign in Calgary knowing all that, asked for a trade, and got one.

I don't think Tkachuk will be commenting on playing for the least popular team in Florida if/when he leaves there.
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 06:02 PM   #1746
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zadorov should play in Vancouver in a non playoff year, then he'll see the "next level" fairweather interest in the team.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 06:02 PM   #1747
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't disagree with you, or even Zadorov for that matter. What he said is empirically true. It just seems petty to me. He chose to sign in Calgary knowing all that, asked for a trade, and got one.

I don't think Tkachuk will be commenting on playing for the least popular team in Florida if/when he leaves there.
Are you just mad Zadorov pissed you off with the Edmonton is no good talk with NOTHING to do in the city so of course you would have rabid fans.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:04 PM   #1748
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Are you just mad Zadorov pissed you off with the Edmonton is no good talk with NOTHING to do in the city so of course you would have rabid fans.
Who cares about Edmonton? He's talking about Calgary:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1793717492797645016
Old 05-23-2024, 06:07 PM   #1749
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes I read that and it's pretty much 100% true.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:15 PM   #1750
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am curious if any of the Canuck fans that post here are now rooting for the Oilers.

I am absolutely disgusted by some of the Canuck fans I have talked to around my work who say they are now rooting for the Oilers. What the hell is wrong with you people?
I shook my head when they had a segment on Global News about whether Canadians are cheering for the Oilers and the reporter from Calgary holds up a Flames jersey and says "For just this one time, Go Oilers".

It's so stupid. The NHL has nothing to do with countries. You cheer for or against whatever team you want regardless of what country they're based in.

Found it: https://globalnews.ca/video/10521679...-canadas-team/

Last edited by Inferno; 05-23-2024 at 07:25 PM.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 06:28 PM   #1751
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Real NHL hockey fans don't cheer for countries, they cheer for teams. Only fair-weather fans can cheer for a rival during the playoffs.

You'd never see a true Habs fan cheering for the Leafs in the playoffs. IF a Flames fan is cheering for the Oilers, hang your head in shame or don't call yourself a true fan.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 06:36 PM   #1752
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:

Boston Pizza Syndrome.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 07:28 PM   #1753
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

I would rather scoop my eyes out with a ####ing melon baller.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 07:37 PM   #1754
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Atta boy.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:14 PM   #1755
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Hear, hear!

Vancouver is still no good..
Old 05-23-2024, 09:47 PM   #1756
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Disavow
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:58 PM   #1757
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
hronek should have taken a vacation instead of costing himself millions of dollars with terrible play in the playoffs
https://twitter.com/user/status/1793786460627255491
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:03 PM   #1758
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I just filed for divorce. My wife just says to me that I guess we are cheering for Edmonton cuz we want a Canadian team to win the cup right
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:34 PM   #1759
littlereddevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Definitely the bigger market now only because of McJesus.

But where was that "big" market from 2010-2016 when they were the worst team in the league?

All teams go through ebbs and flows. Oilers just got the luckiest break of the century out of any NHL team and will see their market crumble when McJesus leaves.
littlereddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:41 PM   #1760
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

He also had this:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1793716131553071395