Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2024, 02:33 PM   #141
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, now listen up people. The rehashing of both Bennett and Tkachuk's time in Calgary ruined the prior two playoff threads. Could we please let this rest for the duration of the playoffs and just talk about the series and the games? Pretty please?

I get a little excited every time there's a new post here, only to open the thread and read the same points that I've been reading for several years now. Stahp!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 02:49 PM   #142
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I don't think it was a lack of vision TBH.

3 x $7M where he's a RFA at the end is still a better contract for the Calgary Flames than 6 x $9.5M where he's UFA at the end. Even with the benefit of hindsight in how it worked out.

Eating those 2 years of UFA isn't worth the extra $2.5M per season when you also factor in he would have then been a UFA at the end of the contract.

Would you rather be where the Flames were 2 years ago where you're trading Tkachuk with full control...or where the Leafs are now where Marner has a full NMC, and you only have a year left on his contract before he can walk wherever he wants as a UFA.

Tkachuk decided he didn't want to be in Calgary anymore because of the pandemic, Sutter, and Gaudreau leaving. None of those things are any different if he had a 3 or 6 year contract, and it had nothing to do with the perceived slight of his bridge contract. Tkachuk and Treliving both spoke very highly of each other during the entire process and in the time that passed. Tkachuk wanting to leave had nothing to do with Treliving.
Just my two cents but you should never get cheap on your superstar franchise player. And if Tre didn't see that then it's a failure on his part. I mean they draft the guy 5th overall and then pay Frolik instead of him.

Anyway, this has been beaten to death.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 02:57 PM   #143
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
I mean they draft the guy 5th overall and then pay Frolik instead of him.
Frolik was signed a year before Tkachuk was even drafted.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 03:06 PM   #144
mogg
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Frolik was signed a year before Tkachuk was even drafted.
Not to mention being a consistent, quality player at a fair price and reasonable term.
mogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 03:39 PM   #145
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was I upset that Tkachuk left? Yes! But I was upset at the situation not really the player, though he did kinda setup so that he could leave as UFA, but he did allow the Flames to recoup some assets. And, while he was here, he did play his heart out and did not coast. So, as much as I was upset, I cannot truly hate the player.

As for Bennett, I've always love the player. Cannot bring myself to hate him. He was mis-managed by the coach, namely effing GG, HE is the one I hate!
Old 05-23-2024, 03:58 PM   #146
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
As for Bennett, I've always love the player. Cannot bring myself to hate him. He was mis-managed by the coach, namely effing GG, HE is the one I hate!
Bennett I have nothing against. His reasoning for asking for a trade was because of a head coach who should have never been the head coach that season. I believe him when he said he was looking forward to playing for Sutter but for whatever reason Treliving still traded him. Maybe it was due to lack of communication between both sides.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 04:18 PM   #147
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bennett I have nothing against. His reasoning for asking for a trade was because of a head coach who should have never been the head coach that season. I believe him when he said he was looking forward to playing for Sutter but for whatever reason Treliving still traded him. Maybe it was due to lack of communication between both sides.
I have always been indifference about Treliving, didn't hate him and didn't like him. But I have hated him since he traded Bennett.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:22 PM   #148
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was the Seattle expansion draft. Treliving knew he was going to lose a player. Gio, Klyington or Bennett. If Bennett was on the roster chances are he would have been picked, so they tried to get anything for him. Hindsight it probably would have been better to dangle Monahan.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:50 AM   #149
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Article in the NYT:

Quote:
Matthew Tkachuk is still doing it all for the Panthers, minus the flash

NEW YORK — Matthew Tkachuk spoiled us a year ago.

There were so many big moments during the Florida Panthers’ run to the Stanley Cup Final.

The overtime goals. The game winners. The big hits. The crashing of the net.

Tkachuk’s seal-breaking, first-period goal was also the game winner, making him the first player in nhl history with four game-winning goals through his first five career games in the conference finals. Tkachuk also hammered vincent trocheck with a pair of first-period hits, including a well-timed open-ice doozy that trocheck didn’t see coming. Tkachuk’s aggressive forecheck caused multiple giveaways on a night when the rangers had trouble getting out of their zone cleanly.

Tkachuk would have set up aleksander barkov for a 2-0 lead in the second period, but igor shesterkin foiled that opportunity. Tkachuk was the guy to whom carter verhaeghe tried to make a tape-to-tape pass at the backdoor in the third period after a shesterkin turnover. Instead, verhaeghe hit alexis lafrenière on the tape for a back-breaking own goal for the rangers. And it was tkachuk who assisted on sam bennett’s empty net goal.

Tkachuk has been singing barkov’s praises all playoffs, especially after their series-clinching win last week in boston. But barkov, after wednesday’s win put the panthers three wins from their second consecutive prince of wales trophy, said, “i can say the same things about him. He’s a leader. He’s a true leader of this team. He does everything (that) he can, and today was a good example of that. He set the tone physically and made some plays and did whatever he does at his best and we just follow his lead.”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/551...rangers-game-1
https://twitter.com/user/status/1793442894671389158

Last edited by FanIn80; 05-24-2024 at 10:57 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:25 PM   #150
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Beautiful goal!
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:27 PM   #151
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahahahaha! Rags score and Matty Chuk & Verhaghe lose their #### cause Verhaghe got hit cleanly, turned the puck over, and it turned into a goal.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:27 PM   #152
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Ahahahaha! Rags score and Matty Chuk & Verhaghe lose their #### cause Verhaghe got hit and it turned into a goal.
Lol by Lafrenière of all people. That was the second time Verhaeghe's been clobbered already.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:38 PM   #153
Rhett44
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like this series. It is a lot easier to watch when you don't despise one of the teams (minus Fox).
Rhett44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:42 PM   #154
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Florida having a very poopy period
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:43 PM   #155
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In the 90s that would have been nothing. Now I think Kulikov probably gets kicked out.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:43 PM   #156
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised that didn't get a 5 minute.
That looked late and it was blind side.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:44 PM   #157
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Who did what? Am watching the Jays game now.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:45 PM   #158
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty weak call on Kulikov. The puck was right there a quarter second earlier, but it's called interference. Thankfully they didn't go for the 5 minute call because that would have been bull####.

And the Panthers lost their #### because Trocheck high sticked the defender, dropping him, which is why he was wide open at the side of the net. It was on a follow through, but it could have easily been called a high stick too. Just had to correct the thinking because it had nothing to do with Verhaeghe getting hit.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:45 PM   #159
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Man, when the Rangers start dealing on that PP. So fast, so crisp. Impressive. Didn't score, but they had the Panthers moving.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:46 PM   #160
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
It was neither. The only reason they looked at a 5 minute was because of the head contact, but that's because of Wennberg's positioning, not because it was a predatory hit.