Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2024, 11:53 AM   #481
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I usually leave $5/night for the days I actually have then make up the room but I generally keep the do not disturb sign up unless I need towels
I never get housekeeping when I am staying somewhere, even if I am there for a week.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:30 PM   #482
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I usually leave $5/night for the days I actually have then make up the room but I generally keep the do not disturb sign up unless I need towels
I tend to leave the tip all at the end - it's more work to do a full clean than a tidy. I also do $5/day.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:43 PM   #483
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I tend to leave the tip all at the end - it's more work to do a full clean than a tidy. I also do $5/day.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:45 PM   #484
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only tip at restaurants now, I don't care if that makes me an #######. Complain to your employer or stop working there. Employers, pay more and charge me more on base if you need to. I am not assing about tipping every single person I meet during the day. I will tip at a sit down meal 17-22% depending on the level of service.

I stay in a lot of hotels, and it started as a "Who the hell carries cash?" thing, but now it's just a general hatred of tipping culture and what it represents.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:49 PM   #485
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

There it is. Willing to take the benefits of the labour but pass the buck back to the employer for compensating those who do the labour. If you don’t want to tip and say employers should pay more then don’t frequent anywhere that fits those criteria because if you do you’re twice as bad since you’re willing to exploit the labour you say isn’t paid enough. But hey saves you a couple bucks that’s cool.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:23 PM   #486
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a rewards member that consistently stays in medium price rooms though, I am not seeking lowest cost anything. You as an employer should pay your labour fairly. I am not exploiting ####- I need a room to stay in and pay a fair price to stay in that room. I might agree with you if it was always a budget selection type of thing, but this is simply a culture of labour thing.

You, as the labour, need to be responsible for advocating for yourself. Don't work in a job that doesnt pay you enough. If you don't and no one else will, they will have to offer more money to fill that job. If they bring in TFWs to work it, that's another policy issue that should be addressed. Personally I am totally opposed to TFWs and am willing to eat more cost to rid our system of them.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:25 PM   #487
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Further, why should it be up to me to pay extra for cleaning the room? I also put up the sign to avoid service while I am staying, isn't it the duty of the hotel to ensure that after I leave the room is ready for the next guest? If I was doing some raunchy orgy or something that really messed it up, I could see needing a tip. but I literally go in sleep, ####, shave, shower and get out. It probably takes them 15 minutes to turn it around after I leave. Why does that require a tip?
Old 05-23-2024, 01:26 PM   #488
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tips should be for service above and beyond, not expected to provide any service.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 01:32 PM   #489
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
There it is. Willing to take the benefits of the labour but pass the buck back to the employer for compensating those who do the labour. If you don’t want to tip and say employers should pay more then don’t frequent anywhere that fits those criteria because if you do you’re twice as bad since you’re willing to exploit the labour you say isn’t paid enough. But hey saves you a couple bucks that’s cool.
This is an odd opinion.

You go to Walmart or order from Amazon and are perfectly happy to have people making minimum wage provide you a service.
On the otherhand a person who doesn’t provide service staff with $30-$50 an hour wage is now passing the buck to the employer.

Why is it exploitive to not tip a server but not exploitive to not tip at Walmart?

The answer is the entire system is irrational.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:33 PM   #490
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you don't tip 100% you are a piece of crap. Nuff said. That girl at the Westhills earls who drove to work from Springbank in her hand me down beemer bringing that $11.50 Albino rhino ale to your table is getting fataed and tipping 20%, you are part of the problem, in fact most of the problem.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 01:33 PM   #491
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Tips should be for service above and beyond, not expected to provide any service.
Strong disagree here. If you are against the practice of tipping which you appear to be you should tip a flat rate at restaurants. To do anything else is supporting tipping culture.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:40 PM   #492
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This is an odd opinion.

You go to Walmart or order from Amazon and are perfectly happy to have people making minimum wage provide you a service.
On the otherhand a person who doesn’t provide service staff with $30-$50 an hour wage is now passing the buck to the employer.

Why is it exploitive to not tip a server but not exploitive to not tip at Walmart?

The answer is the entire system is irrational.
What a fascinating reply bringing up multiple unrelated points. I like it, you’ve convinced me I’m on your side now.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:59 PM   #493
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What a fascinating reply bringing up multiple unrelated points. I like it, you’ve convinced me I’m on your side now.
They are directly related. You accused him of exploiting labour. When you do that you open yourself up to a discussion of your exploitation of labour. Essentially your position is hypocritical. So don’t be a dick to people.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 03:02 PM   #494
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Further, why should it be up to me to pay extra for cleaning the room? I also put up the sign to avoid service while I am staying, isn't it the duty of the hotel to ensure that after I leave the room is ready for the next guest? If I was doing some raunchy orgy or something that really messed it up, I could see needing a tip. but I literally go in sleep, ####, shave, shower and get out. It probably takes them 15 minutes to turn it around after I leave. Why does that require a tip?
You’re not required to tip.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 03:16 PM   #495
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
They are directly related. You accused him of exploiting labour. When you do that you open yourself up to a discussion of your exploitation of labour. Essentially your position is hypocritical. So don’t be a dick to people.
I’m sorry I’ll try to clarify. See he’s supporting exploiting labour by frequenting these hotels that pay their cleaning staff next to nothing and justifying not tipping the staff by saying it’s not his problem to pay them. Which is true it isn’t. But see by continuing to give those hotels his business and money he is supporting the exploitation of those employees. One could choose to tip to assuage their conscience in a scenario if it did bother them, or one could say F those nerds that’s fine too. Heck you could even say you’d only stay at chains that you know pay their employees a proper wage and that’s why you don’t want to tip. But saying it’s not my problem it’s the employer’s problem when you’re actively supporting the employer is intellectually disingenuous. It is your problem because you are actively helping it exist.

The amazon Walmart whatever stuff is akin to the “yet you participate in society i am very smart” meme. Yes exploitation is bad everywhere you nailed that. Nothing about those examples though is material to the discussion about tipping hotel employees and the specific poster whose opinion I chose to comment on. I apologize if the post’s scope wasn’t wide enough in your mind but when you try to expand a reply to a separate conversation that’s far removed from what we were discussing it isn’t the gotcha you think it is. That’s my fault for not spelling it out more clearly.

*these are my opinions and not indicative of my employer. Please direct any and all complaints to site management. Thank you.

Last edited by ResAlien; 05-23-2024 at 03:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 03:30 PM   #496
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You’re not required to tip.
I know you're not required to tip, but it's a nice thing to do. I have known some people to do that type of job that would be hard pressed to get a job anywhere else. I know from experience that it is happily received.

Although I usually have a dog with me, and the maid may have to do some vacuuming.

I usually give the maid all the change in my pocket, plus $5 or $10.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 03:33 PM   #497
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never have a problem tipping housekeeping, especially when in Mexico or generally on vacation.

Its a crap job and they treated like crap and the $5 or whatever means nothing to me but means a lot to them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 03:38 PM   #498
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
15 min? Lol. I don't want to stay anywhere that is turning a room over in 15 min. I suggest you take a stab at a housekeeping role for a day and find out how easy it is, not to mention disgusting having to pick up garbage, pubes and whatever else is left behind by all walks of life. Any decent hotel has standards that require cleaning even if an area or room appear clean, and it is hard, backbreaking work. Regardless, it's certainly not required to tip your housekeeper at a hotel, but I certainly tend to tip in this instance where I won't in some other fringe areas of the service industry.

My rule is typically that if you are charging me for a service with a set price - I am not leaving a tip (charge more if you expect more). Unless I sit down and am served - I am not leaving a tip (barista, take out restaurant). If the service at that point is below average to poor, you are getting a bad tip. No chance am I just defaulting to 15-20% for someone who is not even trying just because this is supposedly the standard.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:53 PM   #499
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
He's talking about hotels, I think.

I do tip hotel housekeepers by leaving cash on the table when I check-out. Since there isn't the same social pressure as the tip machine with someone looking at you I think they probably get way less tips, and that's a low-paying but very difficult job.
Oh...yeah isn't that well known to tip the hotel housekeepers? To me they're the ones that deserve it over anyone. They work very hard.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:00 PM   #500
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m sorry I’ll try to clarify. See he’s supporting exploiting labour by frequenting these hotels that pay their cleaning staff next to nothing and justifying not tipping the staff by saying it’s not his problem to pay them. Which is true it isn’t. But see by continuing to give those hotels his business and money he is supporting the exploitation of those employees. One could choose to tip to assuage their conscience in a scenario if it did bother them, or one could say F those nerds that’s fine too. Heck you could even say you’d only stay at chains that you know pay their employees a proper wage and that’s why you don’t want to tip. But saying it’s not my problem it’s the employer’s problem when you’re actively supporting the employer is intellectually disingenuous. It is your problem because you are actively helping it exist.

The amazon Walmart whatever stuff is akin to the “yet you participate in society i am very smart” meme. Yes exploitation is bad everywhere you nailed that. Nothing about those examples though is material to the discussion about tipping hotel employees and the specific poster whose opinion I chose to comment on. I apologize if the post’s scope wasn’t wide enough in your mind but when you try to expand a reply to a separate conversation that’s far removed from what we were discussing it isn’t the gotcha you think it is. That’s my fault for not spelling it out more clearly.

*these are my opinions and not indicative of my employer. Please direct any and all complaints to site management. Thank you.
It wasn’t intended to be a gotcha. You were being a dick and wanted to come down on someone for not tipping in an area you tip despite the places where we tip and don’t tip being completely unrelated to the difficulty of work or level of exploitation. You chose to bring up worker exploitation as a reason to tip. If that’s the reason for tipping then it should be your consistent reason for tipping.

Your concern for these workers is disingenuous.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: