Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2024, 01:51 PM   #3341
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
With Eiserman, I think he has fallen because of legitimate criticisms about his overall game, combined with guys like Parekh, Buium, and Iginla just progressing at a great pace throughout the year.

With Catton, I suspect it's just that more people seem to be projecting him as a winger now at the NHL and the added value of him being a center has diminished. Teams all in on a center might see Helenius or Hage as a better target.

Personally, I think it's foolish most of the time to fixate too much on position, but I can see why it makes sense in some cases. Like if you have a stockpile of blue chip prospects at other positions already, or if it is a tie breaker.

I think Catton at #9 would be a great pick, but it all depends on who else is still there at that point. Yakemchuk is really intriguing as well. Honestly, if Catton, Iginla, and Yakemchuk are all on the table at #9, I don't think you can go wrong (unless by some fluke Demidov, Parekh, or Buium are also still there).

Your point is exactly what I meant. If we were set at center then by all means grab a winger. However beyond the end of next year we have exactly one signed nhl center and he will be approaching mid thirty. While we did increase our overall defensive depth who do we have that would be better than yakemchuk? At any position actually? I say pretty much no one.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 01:52 PM   #3342
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Craig's bang on. Interesting that he has Silayev dropping though... I could be convinced that Silayev is the best pick at 9 in his draft.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 02:03 PM   #3343
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
That there folks is why Craig Button will never get another sniff of the NHL as a scout.
The one thing Craig ain’t wrong about is that picks 3-14 are pretty interchangeable. Almost no reason to try to move up in the draft (like trade 9 plus another pick to move up to 5) because of that fact. Would much rather have a lot of picks in this draft than blow my brains out trading picks to move up from 9. A lot of those OHL players he has in the 2nd round (Vanacker, O’Reilly, Battaglia, Marrelli) are pretty good players. Flames could quite easily get a couple good prospects in the second round in addition to the first.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 02:47 PM   #3344
jmerkel3d
Farm Team Player

Exp:

For those who haven't seen Ivan Demidov... Wow.

https://youtu.be/RIBYFiiVC3c?si=EvCJHCF_aOo3I_2Q
https://youtu.be/lLbI37aD-Ws?si=0rhBnpLyS73AMg0b

I think I will be paying close attention to this player no matter where he goes. What a uniquely exciting prospect, especially if it translates (he's been playing against lower competition Russia). It really seems like his TALENT might be generational in a very true sense, and the way he plays hockey is like something you've never seen.

Also a good podcast on the Top playmakers in this draft, worth a listen to with takes on the players from a slightly different angle.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2i1...Tkuq_NAv9zrZdw

But wow, Demidov looks like he might be special if he figures out the NHL.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Last edited by jmerkel3d; 05-22-2024 at 03:09 PM.
jmerkel3d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmerkel3d For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 03:08 PM   #3345
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eiserman to me has to many red flags. I think a team will take him high because they have depth and can afford the boom/bust. But I hope the Flames avoid him. Just not a fan.

In sport scouting speak, teams value 5 tool players, Eiserman is a 3 tool player that excels at 1.

Last edited by dammage79; 05-22-2024 at 03:11 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 03:12 PM   #3346
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Eiserman to me has to many red flags. I think a team will take him high because they have depth and can afford the boom/bust. But I hope the Flames avoid him. Just not a fan.

In sport scouting speak, teams value 5 tool players, Eiserman is a 3 tool player that excels at 1.
I think he slips like Caulfield.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:13 PM   #3347
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerkel3d View Post
For those who haven't seen Ivan Demidov... Wow.

https://youtu.be/RIBYFiiVC3c?si=EvCJHCF_aOo3I_2Q
https://youtu.be/lLbI37aD-Ws?si=0rhBnpLyS73AMg0b

I think I will be paying close attention to this player no matter where he goes. What a uniquely exciting prospect, especially if it translates (he's been playing against lower competition Russia). It really seems like his TALENT might be generational in a very true sense, and the way he plays hockey is like something you've never seen.

Also a good podcast on the Top playmakers in this draft, worth a listen to with takes on the players from a slightly different angle.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2i1...Tkuq_NAv9zrZdw

But wow, Demidov looks like he might be special if he figures out the NHL.

This whole time I've always thought Demidov was the clear number 2 in this draft, and there wasn't a significant gap between him and Celebrini. It's position that separates them. Same tier prospect, then a gap to everyone else.
Old 05-22-2024, 03:27 PM   #3348
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get it on Eiserman- and I don't think the flames should take him for the potential one dimensionalness and also because of the american college route potential.

That said, I think someone's going to walk away with a steal. He's still very young, and if possible we are all underselling how good he is at the hardest and most important part of the game. This kid will score 30 goals in the NHL. It's possible his upside is much higher than that. Could be a Brett Hull type.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:37 PM   #3349
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I get it on Eiserman- and I don't think the flames should take him for the potential one dimensionalness and also because of the american college route potential.

That said, I think someone's going to walk away with a steal. He's still very young, and if possible we are all underselling how good he is at the hardest and most important part of the game. This kid will score 30 goals in the NHL. It's possible his upside is much higher than that. Could be a Brett Hull type.
You never know if someone like Chicago may think he's the perfect compliment to Bedard?

I do expect them to go Demidov at 2, but you never know. I expect there is every chance after one it could be a complete surprise.

And I'm not certain that #1 is even set in stone like it was last year. Almost set in stone, but who knows if SJ simply falls in love with Demidov, who might well be #1 if he had played in NA and didn't have the Russian factor on him. He certain "appears" to have high end talent to match even Celebrini in this draft.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:38 PM   #3350
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Demidov was playing in NA currently I’m pretty confident he could go #1
He’s definitely more electric than Celebrini but given the Russian factor and KHL issues Demidov is likely to fall.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:44 PM   #3351
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
You never know if someone like Chicago may think he's the perfect compliment to Bedard?

I do expect them to go Demidov at 2, but you never know. I expect there is every chance after one it could be a complete surprise.

And I'm not certain that #1 is even set in stone like it was last year. Almost set in stone, but who knows if SJ simply falls in love with Demidov, who might well be #1 if he had played in NA and didn't have the Russian factor on him. He certain "appears" to have high end talent to match even Celebrini in this draft.
Dont remember where but SJ already said Celebrini is their guy at 1
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:45 PM   #3352
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Dont remember where but SJ already said Celebrini is their guy at 1
At the draft lottery. Greer said they were taking him.

The kid is from the area. Family there. History there. They aren't taking Demidov
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 03:46 PM   #3353
Knut

Exp:

Celebrini's dad works for the Golden State Warriors. So it pretty much a given he is going there.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 03:50 PM   #3354
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Celebrini is a Shark. That's gonna be a hell of a 1,2 tandem between him and Smith.

Then having Demidov and Bedard just is impossible to pass up in Chicago in my humble opinion.

3-15 is where it gets wild.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:05 PM   #3355
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a feeling Chicago goes with Levshunov and gets a bonafide NHL ready Dman.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 04:12 PM   #3356
jmerkel3d
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
This whole time I've always thought Demidov was the clear number 2 in this draft, and there wasn't a significant gap between him and Celebrini. It's position that separates them. Same tier prospect, then a gap to everyone else.
I admittedly haven't watched much of Celebrini, but Demidov looks electric.

If the comparison for Celebrini is really a Toews/Tavares type, then Demidov looks to be something of a decently sized, two-way (potentially because defense will be up to him, and he doesn't sound allergic to it) Johnny/Datsuk dynamo-type with the way he moves the puck in tight spaces and does things with it you haven't seen done before. His skating and hands are just so uniquely sublime.

I'm done gushing, but you appreciate pure skill like that when you see it
Let's hope he has a good head on his shoulders and gives himself the best chance to fulfill his potential.

jmerkel3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:14 PM   #3357
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I have a feeling Chicago goes with Levshunov and gets a bonafide NHL ready Dman.
I think that is possible also. You never know what is going through GM's minds. It's not like Levshunov is not a great prize.

Chicago has some pretty good dmen prospects/young players in Vlasic and Korchinski, but getting that bona fide #1 guy all of a sudden pushed those guys down a notch and it starts looking pretty impressive in a few years.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:15 PM   #3358
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's admittedly been one of the guys I've been super keen for the Flames to land should he get to our slot (I'm doubtful)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1793325346118684709

FWIW I've also got Sandman's profiles now updated again for links within the rankings spreadsheet for easy access and navigation:
https://bit.ly/upside2024nhldraft
Old 05-22-2024, 04:24 PM   #3359
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
He's admittedly been one of the guys I've been super keen for the Flames to land should he get to our slot (I'm doubtful)
Buium's parents were both in the Israeli military? That's some interesting background.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:25 PM   #3360
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Buium is still on the board at 9, we'd better take him.

I really doubt he will be though, I'm thinking most of the high end D go earlier than expected and we're looking at Tij, Catton, Helenius, maybe Lindstrom.

Good problem to have.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft