Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What to do with Rasmus ...
Trade him regardless 77 42.08%
Sign him to 8 year contract 22 12.02%
Draw the line at 7 years or trade 7 3.83%
Draw the line at 6 years or trade 38 20.77%
Draw the line at 5 years or trade 27 14.75%
Draw the line at 4 years or trade 12 6.56%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2024, 02:14 PM   #41
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You move him.

Value will be decent with two cheap years remaining to a team that is further ahead in their window, and hopefully allows the Flames to add a player to the 18-23 cohort they currently have/are growing that can be a contributor when the team is ready to be on the ascent in a couple years. You also improve the likelihood of getting a top 10 pick next year which is necessary to keep the pick. Most importantly, you get value for a good player before having to pay him a contract covering years 30-38 which this team is not in a position to be doing at the moment.

As to the issue of having good veterans around, I still see Backlund, Weegar, Coleman, Kadri, and Huberdeau around for the forseeable future (2 or 3 years at least for most). It's not as if there will be no remaining quality professionals around to help usher in the next wave.
prizefighterinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prizefighterinferno For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 02:30 PM   #42
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You can’t just say you’re going to operate like Vegas while having none of the other advantages that allow Vegas to operate the way they do.
The way you operate like Vegas is you load up on draft picks and young players. Sign them to 8 year contracts coming out of their ELC’s if you have determined they are part of the team longterm and hope that you get value contracts on the backend of the deals.

Really hoping the Flames are looking at signing Zary longterm this offseason. If you can get him anywhere around 4 million a year on a 8 year deal you do it. Not sure what the number is for Coronato right now but next offseason they should sign him to a long term contract. The advantages the Flames have a should have is a bunch of young players that hopefully hey can sign to what will be team friendly contracts in the outlying years. 29 year old dmen do not really fit into that model.

If you can get Kotkaniemi for super cheap it is a reason why I would look at a guy like him. With the cap going to 100 million in the backend of his contract he could be a good contract later on.

But you definitely move Rasmus if you can. Weegar is a perfectly fine veteran dman and he is locked in at a rate that will likely be 1.5-2 million less than Rasmus.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 05-21-2024 at 02:32 PM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 02:33 PM   #43
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

At some point we are trying to build back up. Next year may not be there yet. Still, if the plan is to play Wolf, I would want to shelter him as much as possible. I would try and bolster the D even.

Trade Markstrom, Mangiapane and Kusmenko.

There after starts the building I think.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 02:46 PM   #44
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
The way you operate like Vegas is you load up on draft picks and young players. Sign them to 8 year contracts coming out of their ELC’s if you have determined they are part of the team longterm and hope that you get value contracts on the backend of the deals.
Except Vegas has never done that (though I do agree this is how the Flames should operate).

They hosed a bunch of teams in the expansion draft and learned draft picks are for losers.

They can operate like this because they play in a warm weather destination market with favourable tax conditions that’s a playground for the wealthy.

I love Calgary. But Denver without School Shootings will never be the preferred landing spot of an elite millionaire athlete ahead of Fabulous Las Vegas.

So we need to hold onto players that are a) good and b) like playing here.

Because it’s not a given that every guy will.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 02:51 PM   #45
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Beyond Markstrom, he's probably the Flames' most valuable trade chip.
fyp
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 02:53 PM   #46
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Keep
Old 05-21-2024, 02:53 PM   #47
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Winning and a new rink will make a difference.

Trading guys you just signed for better players.
Darryl did that to Andrew Ference in 2007, and afterwards nobody would sign here without a NMC.

Vegas can do that because they’re in Las Vegas.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 02:54 PM   #48
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Ras will be 28 in October. He's entering the second-last year of his contract, which carries a bargain $4.55 million cap hit. He has a six-team NTC in his deal that kicks in July 1.

Good player. Not a true No. 1 D, but very useful. He'll also be 30 when his next contract takes effect, which doesn't seem ideal, and he'd likely command a ransom if the Flames moved him this summer. Beyond Markstrom, he'd probably be the Flames' most valuable trade chip.

Do you trade Rasmus now, try to move him later, or keep him for the long haul?
I don't think given the mandate from ownership that we'll see this level of teardown.

I could see ownership trying to give a 'win' to the fanbase after enduring some losing, and Ras could be the recipient of that.

I hope I'm wrong, as he's precisely the asset we should look to maximize, but unless he's definitively refused an extension with the Flames, history suggests they'll try to re-sign him.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 02:59 PM   #49
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really hoping the Flames are looking at signing Zary longterm this offseason. If you can get him anywhere around 4 million a year on a 8 year deal you do it. Not sure what the number is for Coronato right now but next offseason they should sign him to a long term contract. The advantages the Flames have a should have is a bunch of young players that hopefully hey can sign to what will be team friendly contracts in the outlying years. 29 year old dmen do not really fit into that model.

If you can get Kotkaniemi for super cheap it is a reason why I would look at a guy like him. With the cap going to 100 million in the backend of his contract he could be a good contract later on.

But you definitely move Rasmus if you can. Weegar is a perfectly fine veteran dman and he is locked in at a rate that will likely be 1.5-2 million less than Rasmus.
Players are seldom signed for 8 years and low amounts. Because they are essentially betting against themselves.

Coronato you don't consider signing regardless, you have no idea what you have.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 03:01 PM   #50
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For the right return, anybody is available.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 03:04 PM   #51
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't like trading players who want to play here and who have a good attitude. Ras is exactly the type of player this organization needs.

However, his age and contract are prime for trading him and he doesn't fit for when the Flames will be competitive again. I'd rather see him go somewhere that he can be a big contributor on a winning team for the next 4-5 years. If he can fetch us a top 14 pick in this year's draft and we grab a guy like Yakemchuk you have to do it.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 03:12 PM   #52
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Players are seldom signed for 8 years and low amounts. Because they are essentially betting against themselves.

Coronato you don't consider signing regardless, you have no idea what you have.
64 players are signed for 7 or 8 years next year who were signed in their RFA years. Some like Eriksson-Ek are signed fairly cheap. Almost all end up outperforming their contracts by the middle of the contract.

The Flames have signed 1 RFA player to 7 years or more in their franchise history. Sign Zary for 5 million a year for all I care. But there are many examples of players who have signed in the 4-5.5 million range for 7 or 8 years. That is what the Flames need to try to do.

Ironically there are 72 players who were signed to 7-8 year contracts as UFA’s. The Flames have 3 of them right now. Those contracts have a much higher failure rate.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 05-21-2024 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:27 PM   #53
Lonestar
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
For the right return, anybody is available.
Agree with this sentiment, especially given the perpetual mediocrity of these teams we've watched for the last 20 years.

Everything has a price (besides my lovely wife). I would throw myself into traffic for my dog but if someone offered me 10mil for the pup, you better believe I'd be shopping for another one tomorrow.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 03:35 PM   #54
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Guessing it depends on what they are hearing from his agent behind the scenes about whether he wants to re-sign or not. The flames showed with Hanifin that they would like to keep core pieces if they can be re-signed reasonably rather than going full scorched earth so I'd imagine they'll re-sign him if it can be done for market rate. If he won't re-sign they probably start listening and make a move when the offer's right over the next 18 months.

Even if he won't re-sign if the offer's not there Conroy has shown he'll hold players right until that last trade deadline.

Has he? He’s only been in the job 1 year
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 03:46 PM   #55
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree with you, but I believe some posters were saying it's a knock on the GM to get good deals on contracts for their players and they shouldn't do that (lol) because players get "mad". But yes, ink Zary longterm for what will hopefully be a steal in 3 years.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 03:50 PM   #56
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can safely say there is not one player that played on the flames last year I wouldn’t trade for the right price. I’m not talking over pay. That said I see no way flames trade him this off season. Their D is putrid as is. You can’t take another top 4 d out of that lineup . If anything I think they will try to add another top 4.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:03 PM   #57
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

No one on this team is untouchable, but I don't see how Rasmus Andersson for the next two years at less than $5M per is a bad thing. Even if he walked himself right to UFA and left, I wouldn't move him unless he requests it or the offer is borderline insane.

This conversation really shouldn't happen until the TDL in 2026. I don't have faith in this front office to hit a homerun with a trade (not saying they can't, just saying I don't feel overly confident after Tanev/Lindholm). He seems like a great teammate, an absolute Top 4 D, and one of those pieces you don't move unless he's unhappy here. Throw in his bargain contract and he's the least of my worries.
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:05 PM   #58
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcrocket View Post
No one on this team is untouchable, but I don't see how Rasmus Andersson for the next two years at less than $5M per is a bad thing. Even if he walked himself right to UFA and left, I wouldn't move him unless he requests it or the offer is borderline insane.
This is the most asset poor organization in the league. This simply cannot happen.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:14 PM   #59
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade him now.

Andersson should return a 1st, 2nd, 2nd package, and doing that would go a long way in securing our top-10 pick in 2025.

Markstrom -> Traded this Summer.
Andersson -> Traded this Summer.
Mangiapane -> Traded this Summer.
Kuzmenko -> Traded in-season.

You've effectively completed the rip-down component of building a new team at that stage.

You still have plenty of veterans in Kadri, Huberdeau, Weegar, Miromanov, Sharangovich, Backlund, Vladar, and Coleman followed by a younger group in Wolf, Zary, Coronato etc. and then a plethora of high value picks in 2024/2025/2026.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:15 PM   #60
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcrocket View Post

This conversation really shouldn't happen until the TDL in 2026. I don't have faith in this front office to hit a homerun with a trade (not saying they can't, just saying I don't feel overly confident after Tanev/Lindholm). He seems like a great teammate, an absolute Top 4 D, and one of those pieces you don't move unless he's unhappy here. Throw in his bargain contract and he's the least of my worries.
They literally got a player who had 74 points and 39 goals the year before (and scored at a 40 goal 71 point pace for the Flames) a 1st, a 4th, a dman who in his D+1 year had 92 points in 67 games) and another prospect for Lindhom. And that is the trade that gives you a lack of confidence in Conroy’s ability to get a good return for Rasmus?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post: