Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2024, 11:40 AM   #161
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I mean, who cries at leaving Edmonton?
People moving to Winnipeg!
Old 05-21-2024, 11:57 AM   #162
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ed Ward stuck out to me and a buddy as a guy who's parents named him "Edward Ward".

Turn of the century he's playing for Atlanta and comes into the Marriott bar where my buddy works. My buddy recognizes him and welcomes him back to Calgary.

His response? "I can't believe anyone knows who I am! That's awesome!"
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:08 PM   #163
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Charity golf tournament in Kamsack, Saskatchewan at Riverside golf course and Theo Fleury was on the bill. I must have been 12 or 13 (summer of 98 or 99). I begged my parents to drive me out and drop me off at my Grandparents' place and then convinced my Grandpa to take me to the course. Wore my black horsehead Flames jersey with Fleury / 14 on the back and waited around all day to meet him and ask for an autograph. He never showed up.

Jarome Iginla - seated at the same table as him at Japanese Village one time. He was very nice and chatted with my family. Also ran into him at Predator Ridge in the Okanagan as he was finishing a round of golf and I was about to start one.

Jarome Iginla's dad - sat next to him at a Flames/Oilers game at Rexall, lovely guy. Has a lot of fun at games. Very gregarious.

Andrei Zyuzin - used to rent movies from the Westhills Blockbuster all the time. Nice enough guy, pretty quiet. Was surprised I recognized him.

Another related Westhills Blockbuster story, not the Flames but another local sport, I used to work there with Matt Dunigan's kid in like 2006-2007. Guy was a hoot to work with and loved to gamble. Absolute beauty of a dude.

Met countless alumni and they're all awesome. Peplinski, Lanny, Rhett, all nice dudes that have taken time to have conversations with us.

Through golf have met Curtis Glencross and Jordan Eberle. Good humans. Grew up in Airdrie and Zach Boychuk was a couple years younger than me, so I've run into him a few times. Didn't think he'd remember me but I ran into him in like 2015 at the golf course and he came over and said hi.

Was at Aussie Rules one night and some of the Flames were there. Stajan had a few I guess and Gio was physically helping him get out of the place. He stumbled and knocked over my girlfriend / now wife and a bunch of other people and Gio apologized on his behalf. Ended up in the restroom next to Gio a few minutes later and he apologized again and asked if he could buy my party a drink.

Last edited by malcolmk14; 05-24-2024 at 04:12 PM.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:10 PM   #164
hah
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My season ticket representative!
Old 05-26-2024, 12:51 PM   #165
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hendog's Volleyball is in the same place as the Extension Cords.

They're in the netherworld now. Never to be seen again.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 01:03 PM   #166
BigThief
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Colin Patterson and Perry Berezan are good ambassadors for the team also

Stop posting your thirst traps, Dion
BigThief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:09 PM   #167
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My son and I were walking in Market Mall one day and we saw Dion - he was my sons favourite Flame and my son (7) at the time was absolutely star struck .. Dion saw him staring at him and smiled walked up to him got down on one knee had a great conversation and gave him a high-five

Don’t care how he treats adults - get over it - he was awesome to a kid who thought he was the greatest thing walking the earth…
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to BOSSY For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 05:19 AM   #168
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Jordan Leopold and I shared a chuckle when I worked at Superstore because we shared the same first name.
Love all the thanks here iykyk!
Old 05-27-2024, 08:08 AM   #169
Snazu
Draft Pick

When I was a kid maybe 90 or 91, my uncle got me to be his "caddy" at a celebrity golf tournament he was at. It was just an excuse for me to be able to meet who he was teamed up with, Theo Fleury. He was my favorite Flame at the time and he was absolutely great. He talked to me all day and we talked about me playing hockey and I ended up grabbing him clubs all day. I brought some hockey cards that he gladly signed and he signed a scorecard to my grandma, who was a huge Flames and Fleury fan as well.

I'm sure if anyone else went through the same struggles he's went through in his life, they'd be as messed up or worse than he is now. When I read his book, it really hit me hard and thinking how I'd met him only a few years removed from all that taking place. So most of the stories I hear about him, I chalk up to him having to live through what he did.
Snazu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snazu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 09:14 AM   #170
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theo Fleury is such a polarizing figure at times.

His political views are crazy and his online presence is harmful. He's went full blown conspiracy theorist.

But he's also still great with kids and really does go out of his way at times to support different programs with kids in the city, especially sick kids. It doesn't get publicized a lot but I've heard of him sending jerseys/gifts/videos to kids who are in tough situations.

I do think he's a tough person to judge at times...you can't blame him for not trusting authority figures or the government based on his history with how authority figures in his life treated him in the past.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 09:19 AM   #171
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Theo Fleury is such a polarizing figure at times.

His political views are crazy and his online presence is harmful. He's went full blown conspiracy theorist.

But he's also still great with kids and really does go out of his way at times to support different programs with kids in the city, especially sick kids. It doesn't get publicized a lot but I've heard of him sending jerseys/gifts/videos to kids who are in tough situations.

I do think he's a tough person to judge at times...you can't blame him for not trusting authority figures or the government based on his history with how authority figures in his life treated him in the past.
FCUK NO

He is a piece of ####.

I don't see Sheldon Kennedy acting the same way. He has used his pain and suffering to help others.

Theo hasn't, he's used it to try and profit for himself.

Fcuk that a$$hole

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 02:42 PM   #172
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Lighten up Francis
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 03:00 PM   #173
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just glad to hear he's sprinkling in some good with all the bad/stupid, which is a lot.

No one is 100% bad. But doesn't mean that any one with their head on straight would likely want to associate with the guy.

The hockey community is tricky because you can have the biggest donkeys outside the rink who will do favors for others involved in the game, probably because it's their passion and it brings out their good side.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 03:13 PM   #174
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
FCUK NO

He is a piece of ####.

I don't see Sheldon Kennedy acting the same way. He has used his pain and suffering to help others.

Theo hasn't, he's used it to try and profit for himself.

Fcuk that a$$hole
So would you say he's worse than or equal to Hitler/ Stalin?
Seriously did he kick your dog or something? There are far worse people you likely interact with each day.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper_3434 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 03:24 PM   #175
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Definitely worse than Hitler. About on par with Stalin.

By the way, those are without out a doubt the most comparable examples and aren’t in any way moronic to even bring up.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 04:10 PM   #176
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Definitely worse than Hitler. About on par with Stalin.

By the way, those are without out a doubt the most comparable examples and aren’t in any way moronic to even bring up.
The only problem I have with this take is that you think Stalin is worse than Hitler. Gonna need some links on that one. Is deaths caused the only metric? Interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 04:47 PM   #177
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I first saw this thread, I thought it could escalate a little.

But I honestly didn’t see Hitler coming.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 05:38 PM   #178
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If everyone who's ever been abused acted the way Theo does, society would fall apart.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 06:53 PM   #179
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don’t get the Theo hate. He says some crazy things, he says some selfish things but what has he really done that is so bad. Do I wish he acted more like Steve Yzerman? Sure. But short of his drug use , he’s never been convicted of a crime, never to my knowledge physically hurt someone. So he said don’t get the vaccine, he stands with the truckers etc big deal. He’s the most exciting electrifying player the Flames have ever had. Imagine dealing with horrific abuse at home and the rink, multiple addiction issues, being 5’6” and accomplishing what he accomplished. The memories of him getting called up and scoring 2 goals against Edmonton, the Cup, Game 6 OT winner against Edmonton, 50 goal season, I could go on and on. And now everyone hates him and wants to erase him from Flames history because he tweets a few conspiracies. Raise 14 to the rafters! He made Flames hockey bearable for years.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mickey76 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 07:16 PM   #180
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

His tweets are worse than conspiracy theories, they are dangerous because the morons who make up a significant portion of the population actually rally behind his insane rants.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good