Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2024, 04:41 PM   #61
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
That is a highly debatable claim.
I think the better statement is they don't need to give up their 2024 pick to acquire a dman of the calibre that pick would bring.

They already have a pretty good top 4.

I'm not sure they'll pay the price to acquire a dman like Andersson.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 12:27 AM   #62
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Doesn’t matter if they trade up or down.

It’s important to draft the right player either case

If you don’t know what you are doing, you can trade up for Trevor Kidd or pick up extra picks to draft guys like Boltman
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:09 AM   #63
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a lot of luck involved in the draft and sometimes the general concensus and unpredictability can screw you.

If the Flames and Bruins swap 1st round picks in 2014 do you think the Bruins take Pasternak at 4th overall? Not a chance IMO. They probably take Bennett just like the Flames did and instead of a franchise altering elite player they get a 2nd/3rd line gritty center.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 10:41 AM   #64
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cayden Lindstrom would be great imo
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 10:44 AM   #65
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Cayden Lindstrom would be great imo
Pretty sure he will be long long gone by then.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 10:57 AM   #66
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Pretty sure he will be long long gone by then.
oh - Julius Miettinen is fine then.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 11:25 AM   #67
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
According to whose list? That's the problem in saying BPA. Each team will have a different list. There is no such thing as a master list where you get to determine BPA. The Flames thought that Matt Coronato was BPA when Wyatt Johnson was still available. The Flames thought William Stromgren was BPA with Logan Stankhoven and Artem Grushnikov still on the board. Not all lists are created equally so it is not as easy as saying BPA.
According to the Flames’ own list. That’s why there’s a list. It ranks the players based on how good the Flames think they are. The question is whether the Flames have position as a factor in making their list.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 12:05 PM   #68
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
According to the Flames’ own list. That’s why there’s a list. It ranks the players based on how good the Flames think they are. The question is whether the Flames have position as a factor in making their list.
Of course position is taken into consideration. Should the Glames take the top rated goalie at 9?

Wingers are more plentiful and easier to come by. D and C are, all things being equal, not as readily available.

Despite the Flames adding a good amount of D depth this past year, they still don’t seem to have that true 1D. If they can get that this draft, they should.

Last edited by TOfan; 05-19-2024 at 12:09 PM.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:57 AM   #69
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
You completely missed the point of the BPA comment. There is no such thing as BPA, because all teams have different lists and have players in different slots in those lists. You can claim the Flames list as being most important, but don't claim the team is selecting BPA as you then have to take into consideration how well the team drafts, their preferences and strategies, and weigh those against other lists. As pointed out, if the Flames did use BPA - which they claim to - their list has been pretty bad in comparison to Dallas'. The claim of BPA is a crock because BPA varies from team to team and the success of those lists dependent on the consensus within the scouts of those teams. The claim of BPA is virtually impossible because of the variation in the lists. The Flames will pick who they think is the BPA, but I don't have any confidence that is true. With the exception of the first few picks in the draft I do not have that confidence when any team steps to the podium as no one knows for sure who the BPA is. If anything referencing BPA should be "BPA?" because of the uncertainty. It's all a guessing game.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 08:54 AM   #70
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Gee I didn’t know we couldn’t predict exactly who the best player would be at every pick in the draft.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:32 AM   #71
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
You completely missed the point of the BPA comment. There is no such thing as BPA, because all teams have different lists and have players in different slots in those lists. You can claim the Flames list as being most important, but don't claim the team is selecting BPA as you then have to take into consideration how well the team drafts, their preferences and strategies, and weigh those against other lists. As pointed out, if the Flames did use BPA - which they claim to - their list has been pretty bad in comparison to Dallas'. The claim of BPA is a crock because BPA varies from team to team and the success of those lists dependent on the consensus within the scouts of those teams. The claim of BPA is virtually impossible because of the variation in the lists. The Flames will pick who they think is the BPA, but I don't have any confidence that is true. With the exception of the first few picks in the draft I do not have that confidence when any team steps to the podium as no one knows for sure who the BPA is. If anything referencing BPA should be "BPA?" because of the uncertainty. It's all a guessing game.
When people indicate a team should pick BPA, they mean based on that team's list.

All teams use BPA, but clearly those lists can vary greatly from team to team.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 12:01 PM   #72
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

If you're going to take a goaltender with a first rounder, use the later pick if you have one.

Get the other Yegorov.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 12:48 PM   #73
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

What was the best scenario again? Vcr and Dal making the conference final wasn’t it? For the Flames to get all of their conditional picks.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 12:57 PM   #74
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the minority, but I'm going to be very happy when Andersson is extended by the Flames so I can stop reading trades where he's included with a low 1st or 2nd to have the rights to a pick outside of the top 10.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 12:58 PM   #75
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
What was the best scenario again? Vcr and Dal making the conference final wasn’t it? For the Flames to get all of their conditional picks.
Vancouver- WCF (2024 4th becomes 2024 3rd)
Dallas - SCF (2026 3rd)
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 01:05 PM   #76
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guarantee player position is a factor when ranking BPA. How can it not be on the checklist??

The debate should be more towards what's the assigned value for each position.

For myself Center is the highest value, followed by Defense, then wing (break it down further positionally to RW/LW and handedness of shot even more).

Then after that, organizational depth at position is also going to have a checkbox on the list. Albeit closer to the bottom and maybe a tiebreaker when comparing players.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:14 PM   #77
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being one of the few who still think the Flames underperformed last year and can get back to the playoffs by adding a top 6 C and a top 4 D man I would like to see this pick and another later pick moved to acquire Necas. I think given first line ice time he is probably an 80 point C. The only reason Carolina is moving on for him is he has wanted out of Carolina for a few years now. If you can flip that pick and maybe a 2nd or a 3rd to get a still young top 6 I think that is a smart move for this team.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 01:18 PM   #78
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Vancouver- WCF (2024 4th becomes 2024 3rd)
Dallas - SCF (2026 3rd)
Hmmmm. Ok so we need vcr to win tonight and then Dallas to steamroll them (which will probably happen)
Old 05-20-2024, 01:20 PM   #79
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Being one of the few who still think the Flames underperformed last year and can get back to the playoffs by adding a top 6 C and a top 4 D man I would like to see this pick and another later pick moved to acquire Necas. I think given first line ice time he is probably an 80 point C. The only reason Carolina is moving on for him is he has wanted out of Carolina for a few years now. If you can flip that pick and maybe a 2nd or a 3rd to get a still young top 6 I think that is a smart move for this team.
Who would you get for D? My vote is Tanev on a shorter deal until young guys are ready.

What do you try and get for Markstrom?
Old 05-20-2024, 01:20 PM   #80
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

A late 1st and late round pick is not getting us Necas. Maybe Markstrom retained for Necas.

He wants #1 pp unit and #1 line minutes.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good