Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2024, 12:58 AM   #4241
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Dallas has Oettinger plus this year added Tanev, who is working hard to get the Flames that pick

Hopefully the Canucks move forward but if not, no matter, the grease end in round 3.

No material concern whatsoever
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 01:00 AM   #4242
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett44 View Post
I just base if off of the players and fans.

The fans from Edmonton keep calling themselves the favorite to win the cup every year. And are very entitled. Canucks fans are more or less just happy to be in the playoffs.

For players does anyone truly dislike Hughes, Petterson, Boeser, Lindholm? I can possibly see people not liking JT Miller with his attitude.

But then the Oilers have the entitled McPissy duo who never give the opponent credit. They also have Kane, Perry, Nurse and all of those players combined just make who to cheer against a no brainer.
Certainly not when I lived there; all they were talking about in '04 was who they preferred to play in the second round once they beat Calgary. Never mind '94, which started my hate for them.

I don't think it has anything to do with the players. If you switch the entire rosters, probably close to the same amount of people would be supporting that cast of ne'er-do-wells just because they aren't wearing Oiler jerseys.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 01:02 AM   #4243
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
My concern about Dallas is they don't have the high end talent to compete with Edmonton. They have far more depth than Edmonton, but nobody that really blows us away with their skill level. Heiskanen and Oettinger are great players, Robertson has shown signs of becoming elite, and Johnston has had a great playoffs... but they are nowhere near the level of McDrai.

Tanev and Hintz are also banged up. Part of me felt they were the weakest of the four teams on the other side of playoffs. They play an efficient game of hockey, but do they have the horses to keep up with Edmonton?

Edmonton has had the easiest path thus far, and avoiding Vegas in the first round benefited them greatly. I think Dallas is a slight favourite having home ice advantage, but it should be another 6/7 game series :/

Hopefully Vancouver gets the job done on home ice in game seven, but given their long history of disappointment and failure, I kind of doubt it. The hockey gods really hate us this year.
lol you can't be serious
Old 05-19-2024, 01:06 AM   #4244
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We are one game away from an absolute nightmare.

I get that Dallas is better on paper. But people are acting like it would be an easy series for them.

This is the NHL playoffs, if a team gets hot or goaltender gets hot at the right time any underdog can win. The Oilers and Canucks could both definitely beat the Stars, no matter how much we want to deny it. It is in the realm of possibilities.

Which means the Canucks need to win Monday.
You worry way too much...Dallas is on another planet. They just dominated a much better team than the Oilers. Meanwhile the Oilers are struggling to beat a Canucks team without their #1 goalie and with some of their best players playing absolutely awful.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:30 AM   #4245
ReinhartonD
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Dallas is deeper than any other team in the west. The good thing about this series going seven is that even if the Greasers somehow win, they've played their meal tickets into the ground and now have to face a team that can hurt them with four lines. Tanev is playing some of his best hockey in the last 10 years and it's great timing.

And for those who will celebrate in the Whyte Ave. fight club if they win, remember you started this season as everyone's favourite and we all got sick of your "Cup or Bust" preseason chest pounding. You are going to game seven against a team that was the worst tire fire in professional sports last year, who played a guy who was pretty much their 4th string goalie since he's lost the AHL starter job to Tolopilo. Your GM ignored your glaring need for a goalie and acquired four players at the deadline who didn't play tonight.

You're looking forward to two more years at over 5 million per for Kane, who's once again showing he's a locker room cancer and was healthy scratched recently. You've got the ridiculous Nurse contract until 2030, and you still have one more year on the James Neal buyout. Oh, and then there's three more years of Jack Campbell at 5 million per. Drai's going to want to double his current salary to stay, so you'll need to fill your emptying roster with league minimum journeymen and you still won't have a decent goalie in the organization.

I look forward to cheering on Tanev no matter who advances from this series, and look forward to Dallas exposing either team for the frauds they are.
ReinhartonD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ReinhartonD For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 06:52 AM   #4246
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My point is just any team can beat any team. There is a lot of parody.

Yes, the Stars have the better depth and goaltending and coaching. But McPissy are able to win games themselves if you give them enough pps.

Underdog teams win all the time. Usually they need goaltending to do that, but it is in the realm of possibilities that either the Canucks or Oilers could beat the Stars.
Parity but it's hard not to say parody when discussing the Oilers.

I agree with you, you never know what could happen in the playoffs so the Coilers need to be gone asap.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 08:31 AM   #4247
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Canucks have to be the most mentally weak team left in the playoffs.

What a disappointingly horrible performance last night.
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 08:35 AM   #4248
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Clinching a series is tough. Ask Boston from Round 1, or the Rangers or Panthers from this round.

Vancouver will win game 7. Back at home and this series has been a win one lose one affair.

I'd expect a hell of a bounce back personally.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:03 AM   #4249
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
My concern about Dallas is they don't have the high end talent to compete with Edmonton. They have far more depth than Edmonton, but nobody that really blows us away with their skill level. Heiskanen and Oettinger are great players, Robertson has shown signs of becoming elite, and Johnston has had a great playoffs... but they are nowhere near the level of McDrai.

Tanev and Hintz are also banged up. Part of me felt they were the weakest of the four teams on the other side of playoffs. They play an efficient game of hockey, but do they have the horses to keep up with Edmonton?

Edmonton has had the easiest path thus far, and avoiding Vegas in the first round benefited them greatly. I think Dallas is a slight favourite having home ice advantage, but it should be another 6/7 game series :/

Hopefully Vancouver gets the job done on home ice in game seven, but given their long history of disappointment and failure, I kind of doubt it. The hockey gods really hate us this year.

I wouldn’t worry if I was you, Dallas has way more talent than Edmonton, and likely has as much talent as any team in the league.

They just beat the McKinnon/Makar led Avs, is that enough talent for you?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:47 AM   #4250
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winning the potential series clinching game is incredibly hard, that's well known, but putting up that kind of effort in the game is ridiculous. It's a different story if the Canucks fired a ton of pucks and had a high number of high danger chances all night but were stymied by a hot goalie, but coming out with a complete lack of effort and execution, getting blown out before a game 7 is not good.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 10:41 AM   #4251
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last night's game felt like some bizarre alternate universe. Oilers were 0-3 on the McPP and all five of their goals were even strength. You know you've played a terrible game when you let that joke of a team score that many times 5 on 5.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 10:51 AM   #4252
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dallas has 9 players that had more than 50 points this season, almost 11 with Harley and Stankoven right at the cusp (48 point pace over 82 games each).

Edmonton has 6 players with more than 50 points.

Dallas depth feasts on the Oilers
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 11:00 AM   #4253
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teams usually take on the persona of their coach. Tocchet must despise these clowns.

During the regular season the impression I got from vancouver was relentless and great on the forecheck.

Last night the impression I got was that they are cowards

They have played like garbage in 9 of the last 12 periods
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 11:10 AM   #4254
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Certainly not when I lived there; all they were talking about in '04 was who they preferred to play in the second round once they beat Calgary. Never mind '94, which started my hate for them.

I don't think it has anything to do with the players. If you switch the entire rosters, probably close to the same amount of people would be supporting that cast of ne'er-do-wells just because they aren't wearing Oiler jerseys.
Canucks should have won in 04. Our starting goalie was injured if I recall correctly. Despite the narrative… Cloutier was an OK goalie (better than Auld and Hedberg).

As for this year, yes it is a bit of a house money type feeling so no huge disappointment if the Canucks lose game 7. Frustrating to hear that there is no chance for Demko for game 7… as that likely means he wouldn’t be available for round 3 either (if they beat the Oilers)? Silov is a great story… but only providing average goaltending… definitely not what a Stanley cup winning team would need.

What odds would you guys say the Canucks have in terms of winning game 7? 50%? 55%? Perhaps less though as maybe the oilers can get some confidence out of game 6.

eddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 11:45 AM   #4255
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddly View Post
Canucks should have won in 04. Our starting goalie was injured if I recall correctly. Despite the narrative… Cloutier was an OK goalie (better than Auld and Hedberg).

As for this year, yes it is a bit of a house money type feeling so no huge disappointment if the Canucks lose game 7. Frustrating to hear that there is no chance for Demko for game 7… as that likely means he wouldn’t be available for round 3 either (if they beat the Oilers)? Silov is a great story… but only providing average goaltending… definitely not what a Stanley cup winning team would need.

What odds would you guys say the Canucks have in terms of winning game 7? 50%? 55%? Perhaps less though as maybe the oilers can get some confidence out of game 6.
If they all play like playoff Lindholm? 10%

Also it depends on who TJ Miller apologizes to! lol
Old 05-19-2024, 12:15 PM   #4256
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddly View Post
I think we’ll see a much better effort from the Canucks in game 7. They’re a completely different team when they’re at home, and they really seem to feed off their crowd. If they can get the first goal and pump up their fans, I think they’ll win.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 12:27 PM   #4257
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I think we’ll see a much better effort from the Canucks in game 7. They’re a completely different team when they’re at home, and they really seem to feed off their crowd. If they can get the first goal and pump up their fans, I think they’ll win.
Also better match-up control with last change.

At this point I'd say it's a 50/50 toss-up.

At least the series going to 7 gives Dallas an extra few days rest. WCF starts May 23 at 630pm MST. So 2 days rest for the winner of this series, versus 6 for Dallas.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 12:37 PM   #4258
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tocchet has won cups. He was a mob boss

Like get your ass in your order and get your dumb team to play.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 01:33 PM   #4259
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Teams usually take on the persona of their coach. Tocchet must despise these clowns.

During the regular season the impression I got from vancouver was relentless and great on the forecheck.

Last night the impression I got was that they are cowards

They have played like garbage in 9 of the last 12 periods
They played like they are afraid to lose instead of knowing they are going to win.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:36 PM   #4260
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Also better match-up control with last change.

At this point I'd say it's a 50/50 toss-up.

At least the series going to 7 gives Dallas an extra few days rest. WCF starts May 23 at 630pm MST. So 2 days rest for the winner of this series, versus 6 for Dallas.
No team has gone back to back in this series, Vancouver is at home. I think Vancouver is closer to 75 percent here, maybe higher.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote