Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2024, 02:07 PM   #121
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
All the young redmilers are now 40! Sobering
Reading all the stories here.... this is why the Flames could make the SCF tomorrow and it would never be the same again.

Back in 03-04 it sounds like a lot of us:

- were 20ish
- had no kids, possibly no spouse / SO
- jobs with fewer expectations
- had an abundance of time so that spending 4+ hrs in a bar / at the Dome every other day for 2 months was possible.
- had few financial commitments

I have none of those things now.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 02:07 PM   #122
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Noodles getting a misconduct for 2 handing someone in the red wing series.
That was 2007. In 2004 we'd actually traded Noodles to the Rangers so we could get Simon.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:09 PM   #123
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Seeing them beat Detroit in that incredible 1-0 goaltending duel is one of my favourite memories. I was 14 at the time, me and my brother dressed in full old school hockey gear cheering them on.

When that goal went in, I've never been a part of something so loud.
I know today is all about scoring, but there's something special about a hard-fought 1-0 marathon in OT.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 02:10 PM   #124
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post

Gelinas game 6 vs Wings OT Winner and those player intros in SCF game 3 are all time memories.

CHILLS watching them still, 20 years later.

Edit: the pre-anthem GO FLAMES GO chants were ####ING EPIC!

Last edited by rohara66; 04-05-2024 at 02:13 PM.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 02:10 PM   #125
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
My main takeaway here is... TV remotes don't fare well in your residence.
No. 2004 was a tough year on remotes but we've been incident free for at least a dozen years now.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 02:11 PM   #126
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
hah! I forgot about Ricci's ugly
*clap, clap, clapclapclap*
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 02:12 PM   #127
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Reading all the stories here.... this is why the Flames could make the SCF tomorrow and it would never be the same again.

- were 20ish
- had an abundance of time so that spending 4+ hrs in a bar / at the Dome every other day for 2 months was possible.

This x 1000% haha.

Was ~20... now ~40.

Barely had a job, single, no kids.... now a full career, married, 2 kids. Barely have time to watch games on TV.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 12:32 AM   #128
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump on this for fun. May 17 2004, Flames win 3-0 in Game 5 vs SJ in the WCF.

After taking the first two games pretty handily in SJ, they came back to the Dome and got beaten up by SJ, especially game 4, chasing Kiprusoff.

However, turning point of the series could've well been the schedule...that due to a scheduling issue, Game 5 was in SJ the next night after Game 4 was in Calgary.

This allows the Flames to instantly avenge a poor home showing less then 24h later and SJ, riding high with emotion from battling back to tie the series, had to get ramped for a game again the next day.

Sharks looked flat, Flames got two first period goals, Iginla shorthanded, and Marcus Nilson, and then a dagger by Conroy in the 3rd, and cruised to a shutout win and 3-2 series lead.

Every series that year it was 2-2 going into Game 5's and the Flames win every Game 5. Remarkable.

Last edited by browna; 05-18-2024 at 12:36 AM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 07:09 AM   #129
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Sutter Street Bridge…every time I cross it I still think of The Run.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:56 AM   #130
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

- were 20ish

I had a little kid and a baby, a terrible job that paid #### all, and debts coming out my ears. I still found time to savour every second of that run.

#priorities

Being older meant that I knew just how rare Cup runs were, even back when the Flames were historically talent-stacked during the 1980s.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 08:00 AM   #131
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Oh, and one more thing: I have always said that I think the Dome crowd sounds a lot quieter on TV than it is - I have always felt they must have the mikes turned down lower than in other buildings. Watching that, I can tell you that it was so loud in the building that you could not think and could not talk to the person beside you, during the pre-game. It looks loud on the video, but it was actually 10X louder than that.
Back then, I knew the sound guy that worked at the Saddledome. And indeed he mixed the crowd noise down. Because, in his words: "people like to hear the skaters on the ice".
Old 05-18-2024, 08:06 AM   #132
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Back then, I knew the sound guy that worked at the Saddledome. And indeed he mixed the crowd noise down. Because, in his words: "people like to hear the skaters on the ice".

Always hated that. If it’s loud that should come across the broadcast, even if it’s harder to hear the play by play.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 08:52 AM   #133
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was very upset at how loud the crowd was during those playoffs.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:07 AM   #134
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Anyone remember Bill Goldberg in attendance for Game 6 against TB? Random but true!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 09:10 AM   #135
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
He was very upset at how loud the crowd was during those playoffs.
Absolute clodhopper
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 11:30 AM   #136
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

20 years.

It sure doesn't feel that long.

I was living in LA at the time, hence the handle - LA Flames Fan (I'm not French) working as an actor. Leading up to the playoffs there was no chance to watch the games, but I'd read USA Today sitting at the Starbucks next to Bob's Big Boy in Burbank/Toluca Lake to check the scores or plug in the old DSL modem at home to see if I could hear Peter Maher's sweet voice call the game. When they booked their ticket to the playoffs it seemed like I was the only person who cared about it, but I wore my jersey everywhere and couldn't stop talking about it.

I found Calgarypuck shortly before those playoffs and I was hooked. In the first round against the Canucks I watched the games at home on ESPN, to the dismay of my girlfriend, who wasn't a hockey person at all and couldn't understand why I'd spend hours on Calgarypuck (sometimes spending hours making avatars) before, during, and after the games.

It was during round two against Detroit that I found a bar in Burbank called "Champs" which according to my Google search is still there and still open! They had satellite TV and would show the CBC feed of the Flames games which for some reason filled me with that feeling of warmth and got me a little closer to home. It also meant beer. Lots of beer. Too much beer. But it didn't matter.

During round two I met two guys from Montreal at Champs, Michel and another guy whose name I can't remember. They would get there before me to watch Montreal, but they'd stay after and watch the Flames. We became great friends, seeing each other every couple days over beers and hockey.

The worst part of being in LA was the FOMO. After every game when the Red Mile was in full swing, I'd call my buddy Diego and he'd be down on 17th right in the middle of the action. I could hear the cheers, the screams, the tarps coming up...the buzz of it all. It made me miss home so much. Sometimes he'd just keep his phone on and I'd just listen...not even talking to him. It felt like I was there.

My Mom sent me a car flag and I proudly put it on my car. That's when all the Flames fans came out of the Holly-woodwork. Stuck in traffic on the 405 I'd get people rolling their windows down and yelling "I'm from Calgary! Go Flames!" You could feel the electricity starting to rise there.

They knew my by name at Champs now...and I secretly started smoking again but only at Champs. I don't know if my girlfriend ever found out, but the relationship was sinking as the Flames kept winning. Flames first...sorry girl.

Then, game 7 against TB. I watched that one at home for some reason, maybe that's why they lost...I messed up my superstition. I'll never forget that feeling and I definitely cried and spent the next who-knows-how-many hours on Calgarypuck consoling each other, remembering the amazing run, all the things. I can't imagine what that playoff run would have been like without Calgarypuck.

I come to Calgarypuck everyday 20 years later...and look forward to the next run where maybe I'll be here this time to celebrate with you all. In person.

Old 05-18-2024, 11:38 AM   #137
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Anyone remember Bill Goldberg in attendance for Game 6 against TB? Random but true!

3:15 mark though it was for game 3 or 4 I think, interviewed by a young Ryan Leslie who was doing the Flames in game stuff then.
It was direct reaction to Brooke Hogan doing the anthems for Tampa, and Hulk showing up for the first two games in Tampa.

Last edited by browna; 05-18-2024 at 11:41 AM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 12:33 PM   #138
Scooter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Icon60 20 years since the '04 run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Went to HHOF last year and saw Tampa's name 3X on the cup and 3 rings on the wall in the vault room
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 01:21 PM   #139
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Canucks at Flames, Game 6. Vancouver wins 5-4 in triple overtime. April 17, 2004.

https://youtu.be/Xkmm5kjxMU0
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 02:26 PM   #140
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game 3 was awesome.

Flames goal scored by number 12 Jarrrrrrrome Iginla!! Assisted by number 28 Robbbbbyn Regehr. A power play goal. Iginla, his “12th” of the playoffs. From Regehr.

Chills man. Chills.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 05-18-2024 at 02:30 PM.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote