Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2024, 04:30 AM   #121
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jiri Hudler pulled out of his driveway and made me slam on the brakes, my girlfriend and I was pissed until I saw it was him AND it was 3 hours before game 6 against the Canucks in 2015 playoffs. He flashes a peace sign and I was fine with that encounter
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 04:33 AM   #122
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Phaneuf would make a great Frankenstein, come to think of it.
Great scarecrow
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 05:51 AM   #123
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I met Iginla at an nhl awards probably 20 years ago and he was indeed what people say he was like. In a rush but charming in a quiet way.

Around 2001 or so I was downtown and seem a bunch of people around a team bus, with most wearing a jersey. So I go to check out who is there and they say it’s the Rangers team bus. This was the fleury, Lindros, Nedved time. So I stick around hoping to catch a glimpse. Turns out most of the people there weren’t fans but hounds for autographs, but only one player stopped to sign anything. All the others were either ignoring everyone or rude. Fleury particularly said get the #### out of my way. In hindsight we know what he went through but that Rangers team seemed super arrogant as a whole. I didn’t find Lindros arrogant surprisingly. He just shook his head and thought it was silly people would be hounding for autographs.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:04 AM   #124
Lonestar
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Of all the Flames I've met I'd say Denis Gauthier stood out as the friendliest. Iggy was nice but he was kind of quiet.

I can't really think of any bad experience I've had with not just Flames but any NHLer.
I second the Denis Gauthier vote of friendliest I've met. His golden retriever puppy was in the same training class as my first dog growing up. I recognized him immediately and got shy being only 7 or 8, but he made a point to talk to my mom and dropped by her framing shop in the Citadel area a few days later to write a note for me and sign a jersey. I still have both almost 25 years later.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:07 AM   #125
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been lucky never met a Flames player that was rude, nicest player I ever met from the Flames hands down was my idol John Tonelli
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:14 AM   #126
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Phaneuf would make a great Frankenstein, come to think of it.

Phaneuf as Frankenstein.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:27 AM   #127
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Guys like Lanny, Conny or Iggy for sure. Backlund, Gio, guys with recognizable faces I would know. But how the hell am I going to recognize Gio's wife or Mike Smith's kids? Langkow's brother? Didn't realize I am so out of touch...
I was thinking - would I recognize Zary, Pospisil or Sharangovich or maybe even Coleman or Weegar? No. Backlund, Kylington, Andersson, Huberdeau, Kadri, yes. They are all kind of distinctive.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:32 AM   #128
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post

Phaneuf as Frankenstein.
Just like that jerk to do green face. Wow.

Shrek and Frankenstein and the martian from the Flintstones are gonna lose it on him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 09:34 AM   #129
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We were having dinner at Mercato and in waltzes Vernon, Weegar and another guy I did not recognize with a couple wives. They all seemed chill. We asked the waitress and she said Vernon was there all the time. I didn't see Vernon kick a single puppy.

I do think it is interesting that the old guard are hanging with current players. I wonder if that is a deliberate strategy from management to have the alumni help the current guys.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:35 AM   #130
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

B'ahh!!
Old 05-17-2024, 09:43 AM   #131
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm glad that despite sharing positive recollections of Theo a decade or more ago that we're keeping things in perspective.

This is the way.
I was never a fan of Theo even during his playing days. Just saying that not all interactions with him are bad.

I mean he is a terrible person no doubt about it.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:44 AM   #132
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mike Vernon stopped by to chat with my parent's neighbors after the 2013 floods. I think they golfing buddies. Brought wine to drink.

Vernon noticed my parents didn't have a construction waste bin and asked them about it. My neighbor said it was because the bins were sold out all over the city. Vernon nodded, left and a bin showed up within a few hours.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 10:08 AM   #133
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Rich Preston once outbid me at a silent auction...by $5. I will never forgive him.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 10:13 AM   #134
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen a few hockey players out and about but I've met very few. Never had a bad experience. Whatever and whoever he is now, Fleury was super cordial at a book signing in Red Deer during his attempted comeback.

I shared this story a few years ago when the writing was on the wall for Micheal Ferland's career:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
When I first started going to the U of C the Flames would have their prospects play a game at the Father David Bauer Arena. If you've never seen a game there it is quite an intimate, old-school college rink. Fans would sit on one side, while most media and team personnel were on the other. Flames scratches would gather to watch the game in the far corner away from from the main entrance. Ferland was scratched the first time I attended.

The concession was closed the first time, so if you wanted a snack or drink you had to go all the way around the rink near the corner where the Flames scratches were to access the vending machines. As I wandered over I saw the Flames players standing in their suits, watching the game, joking around. All except one. Ferland was talking to a few kids who had wandered over. It was charming in how he introduced himself as "I'm Micheal, what's your names?", never talked about being a player or a big deal, and just chatted hockey and school with them.

I don't remember what happened that game, but that always stuck with me. That's the kind of person he was starting out, and I always felt good hearing those stories throughout his career. I am fully in the boat rooting for Ferland to get healthy and be as happy as he's made others in his life.

Best wishes, Micheal.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 10:27 AM   #135
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

When I went to the Red Rally back in 2019, none of the Flames players were rude. The Alumni were all great. Regehr in particular was very talkative and was telling me about how much he was enjoying playing in his beer league. Backs was awesome and he signed my Backlund jersey I got that year for my birthday. I will say that Tkachuk did seem to be a bit....distant I guess I would describe it? Like, he wasn't mean or anything but he was talking quite a bit with one of the security guards while signing autographs.

Also, Lanny is just a legend. Wonderful man and I'm grateful to have this pic with him (not the best quality, but still):

Spoiler!
Old 05-17-2024, 11:23 AM   #136
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I played outdoor shiny with Marc Savard in the early 00's as part of some Enmax promo.

All I remember is him s#%-talking Eric Weinrich about being a huge dork and his stupid yellow visor
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 11:33 AM   #137
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlan View Post
Rich Preston once outbid me at a silent auction...by $5. I will never forgive him.
Mumbles?? Of course it was a silent auction.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 11:51 AM   #138
Demaeon
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast_Man View Post
Joe Colborne - Probably the nicest hockey player I've met. He would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.
Gandhi was like a more Eastern Joe Colborne.
Demaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demaeon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 12:39 PM   #139
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I met Dion Phaneuf while he was with the Flames once after a game at Cowboy's, probably his first or second year. I went up to him and said great game and offered to buy him a drink.

He kinda looked at me like "dude what are you doing" and said something like "Thank you, but I'm a bit busy right now".

I look around and there's probably 5 or 6 10/10's surrounding him.

I nodded, he smiled, and I'm sure he had a better night than I did.

TLDR I unintentionally tried to c*ck block Dion Phaneuf.
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bzoo02 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 02:02 PM   #140
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard from a few people that Fuhr was something of a jerk to younger fans. Maybe they mistook his energy or something.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good