Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2024, 12:30 PM   #3141
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Pronman's mock has the Flames taking Helenius and Letourneau, taking a couple swigs at centres.
Pronman's latest also has Iginla going 13 to the Wild. That isn't happening.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 12:31 PM   #3142
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Yeah, feels like a guarantee (to me anyway) that Iginla doesn't get past 9.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:33 PM   #3143
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, as we get near the draft, what is the consensus on the strength of the draft?

Originally, this was supposed to be a weak draft. Is that still the case or did the emergence of some players (e.g., Iginla, Silayev) improve the outlook a bit.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:35 PM   #3144
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Did you previously have Lindstrom higher? Concerned about injuries, etc?
I would love for the Flames to take a chance on Lindstrom if he is available and there are no other obvious candidates.

Yes, there are injury issues. If there were not injury issues, he would likely be a Top 3 pick in this draft.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:38 PM   #3145
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Yeah, feels like a guarantee (to me anyway) that Iginla doesn't get past 9.
I suppose that depends on if Catton is still available. I think he's a better talent. I think the Habs are a wild card as Lindstrom could be their guy if their doctors aren't worried and that could push Catton down. There's just so many ways things could play out that fans have to be prepared for several players being the pick at 9 and Iginla being in the mix but far from a certainty.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 12:40 PM   #3146
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
So, as we get near the draft, what is the consensus on the strength of the draft?

Originally, this was supposed to be a weak draft. Is that still the case or did the emergence of some players (e.g., Iginla, Silayev) improve the outlook a bit.
I like this draft, I think it is has a lot of depth.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:44 PM   #3147
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I suppose that depends on if Catton is still available. I think he's a better talent. I think the Habs are a wild card as Lindstrom could be their guy if their doctors aren't worried and that could push Catton down. There's just so many ways things could play out that fans have to be prepared for several players being the pick at 9 and Iginla being in the mix but far from a certainty.
I would bet if Iginla is there at 9 the Flames draft him. If they don't it will be a PR nightmare. I have said all along they should take the BPA but I don't see how they can do that in this situation. Unless Jarome has reservations about Tij playing in Calgary I just don't see them passing on him. In the end it's a business and you have to keep your customers happy, plus it isn't like the player is not worthy of being drafted 9th.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:46 PM   #3148
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Thats fair. There is always the possibility of a surprise drop or even a surprise pick if Calgary decides that say, Eiserman is their guy.

But if I were a betting man, and Iginla was there at 9, he's a Flame.

^ Dis with my exact thoughts and what I've said several times before here
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:48 PM   #3149
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Coulson's Brother Edition):

Leading up to the 2023 Draft, one of my favorite prospects for the second round was RW/C Coulson Pitre of the Flint Firebirds, a power-forward with skill and scoring touch. He was taken in the third round, 65th overall by Anaheim and just recently, he signed a 3-year ELC with that club. Coulson's brother Kaden is available this year, and he holds many of the same traits as his older brother. LHC Kaden was selected by Flint in 2022, 18th overall, and the Pitre brothers often play on a line together with Kaden producing 30 points in 35 games, to go with 29 PIM this season. The younger Pitre doesn't quite have his big brother's size, measuring 5'11",168lbs.

Injuries and inconsistency have hurt Pitre's draft stock this year. Despite his size, he plays a bit of a power game with physicality and tenaciousness, and can play the agitator/pest role as well. He is a two-player with a mature. projectable game, and is a nightmare for the opposition on the forecheck, winning puck battles in the hard areas and maintaining possession for his team. His skating has been called elite, and his speed facilitates most of his game- he can win races to loose pucks, and beat defenders wide with his fluid, powerful stride. He's also slippery and elusive, and can move through sticks, and slide off of checks. KP has high IQ, and always seems to be around the puck, flashing the ability to make creative plays with clean, crisp, accurate passes to teammates in high-danger . Most of the time though, he doesn't do anything too dynamic, opting for the safe, simple play while scanning the ice with his head on a swivel. His wrister is a laser, with a release that looks fast in slo-mo, and he can score from distance. He attacks the middle without fear, and will go to the net for tap-ins, rebounds, and garbage goals. Spatial awareness is another component of his offensive game, as he creates room and opens seams for himself and his teammates by drawing defenders towards him. He sniffs out soft spots in coverage, and sneaks into high-danger areas. KP has a high motor, and doesn't stop moving his feet- he's tenacious and competitive in all 3 zones, hounding puck-carriers and working hard on the backcheck. He wins more than his fair share of draws, and supports his D down low, helping to facilitate the breakout. He is defensively sound, and disruptive in his own zone.

It's been hard to get a good read on him for scouts, as he was injured a lot this year with his season ending on January 26th. Inconsistency has plagued him, not only game-to-game, but sometimes shift-to-shift, and he can sometimes fade into the background. There are two Kaden Pitre's- one of them doesn't move his feet, and plays without pace, coasting on the backcheck, and not competing as hard. This Kaden Pitre plays undisciplined and unfocused, and doesn't lean into his shots. I prefer the fiery, hard-working Kaden Pitre, and this version has to take over permanently. Pitre needs plenty more strength for the next level, especially with his style of game. If Pitre can come back and stay healthy, he will develop into a player who can play anywhere in an NHL team's bottom-9. I really like this kid, as I did his brother, and I would be comfortable taking him in the latter half of the second round, but I will say he gets picked in the 4th, or 5th round.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 12:52 PM   #3150
Bingo Jr.
Bingo's Official Offspring
Yes My Dad Knows I'm Here

Exp:

I hope the Flames target Brodie Ziemer with one of their 2nd round picks. I've been impressed with him for a while, he has jam and just had a strong showing at the U18's.

Sandman, I'm curious why he's in the late 50's on your list, what are his setbacks?
Bingo Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 01:02 PM   #3151
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo Jr. View Post
I hope the Flames target Brodie Ziemer with one of their 2nd round picks. I've been impressed with him for a while, he has jam and just had a strong showing at the U18's.

Sandman, I'm curious why he's in the late 50's on your list, what are his setbacks?
I really love Ziemer, he's a hard-working two-way power forward. He's more of a meat-and-potatoes complimentary player though, and doesn't possess any high-end skill. His skating hovers around average as well. At times during the year, some were pegging him as bottom-6, although his international performances have hopefully quelled those opinions. I wouldn't blame any team that took him earlier than where I have him.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 01:04 PM   #3152
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I really like the top 12-15.

Lots of guys in that range had really strong draft years and have really elevated their stock and the outlook of the draft as a whole IMO.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 01:12 PM   #3153
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I would bet if Iginla is there at 9 the Flames draft him. If they don't it will be a PR nightmare. I have said all along they should take the BPA but I don't see how they can do that in this situation. Unless Jarome has reservations about Tij playing in Calgary I just don't see them passing on him. In the end it's a business and you have to keep your customers happy, plus it isn't like the player is not worthy of being drafted 9th.
That's what makes it hard for me to consider it a slam dunk. I'm sure Conroy has had the talk with Jarome who's had the talk with Tij. A junior player fulfilling his ultimate potential is difficult enough without the burden of playing in your father's shadow in a Canadian city. They may embrace the challenge but only the Iginla's know what's right for Tij.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 01:13 PM   #3154
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am hoping for Parascak or Mews with the Vancouver pick. If the Flames do not get Buium or Parekh, getting an offensive d-man like Mews later in the 1st round would be be a nice consolation. I know, BPA always, but if you were inclined to take a forward at 9th, the potential of getting Mews later might make that decision easier if you wanted to gamble on it. Or vice versa, if you get Parekh or Buium with #9, getting Parascak with Vancouver pick becomes pretty appealing.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 05-14-2024 at 01:56 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 01:16 PM   #3155
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I would love for the Flames to take a chance on Lindstrom if he is available and there are no other obvious candidates.

Yes, there are injury issues. If there were not injury issues, he would likely be a Top 3 pick in this draft.
I think the top ten 12 are really good. Near the end if the second round really seems To drop off again. I wouldn’t hesitate to use lower picks to move up into the second.

The prognosticators considered it a good but not great draft from everything i read.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 01:19 PM   #3156
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
I think the top ten 12 are really good. Near the end if the second round really seems To drop off again. I wouldn’t hesitate to use lower picks to move up into the second.

The prognosticators considered it a good but not great draft from everything i read.
Edit sorry quoted wrong post!
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 01:20 PM   #3157
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's a weaker draft in that there isn't a consensus top half of the 1st round. It's pretty much Celebrini and Demidov and then 3 -15 in my humble estimation. There's going to be some risers and fallers.

After 15, I say it's wide open into the early 3rd.

When ppl talk about tiers, the lines are blurry this draft. Because I can also see players jump from the 20s into the top 15 as well. This is one draft where I don't think the teams lists are going to match with anything out there or with other teams.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:23 PM   #3158
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Pronman's mock has the Flames taking Helenius and Letourneau, taking a couple swigs at centres.
It would be "wild" to see Jarome's son play for one of the teams he arguably used to pray on the most.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 01:23 PM   #3159
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Sandman's Post U-18 Top-100:

1) C Mack Celebrini
2) RW Ivan Demidov
3) D Artyom Levshunov
4) C Berkly Catton
5) D Sam Dickinson
6) D Zeev Buium
7) D Tij Iginla
8) D Zayne Parekh
9) D Anton Silayev
10) C Cayden Lindstrom
11) D Carter Yakemchuk
12) C Konsta Helenius
13) C Cole Eiserman
14) C Michael Hage
15) RW Beckett Sennecke
16) RW Liam Greentree
17) RW Ryder Ritchie
18) RW Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
19) LW Igor Chernyshov
20) LW Trevor Connelly
21) RW Yegor Surin
22) D Adam Jiricek
23) RW Matvei Gridin
24) C Sacha Boisvert
25) RW Emil Hemming
26) RW Terik Parascak
27) RW Maxim Masse
28) D Henry Mews
29) C Lucas Petterson
30) D Cole Hutson
31) LW Tanner Howe
32) D EJ Emery

33) C Dean Letourneau
34) LW Andrew Basha
35) D Aron Kiviharju
36) D Leo Sahlin Wellenius
37) LW Nikita Artamonov
38) C Jett Luchanko
39) LW Marek Vanacker
40) C Cole Beaudoin
41) D Alfons Freij
42) D Dominik Badinka
43) D Jesse Pulkkinen
44) C Luke Misa
45) C Linus Eriksson
46) D Luca Marrelli
47) D Charlie Elick
48) D Veeti Vaisanen
49) D Stian Solberg
50) LW Melvin Fernstrom
51) RW Miguel Marques
52) C Julius Miettinen
53) D Lukas Fischer
54) RW Adam Jecho
55) LW John Mustard
56) RW Brodie Ziemer
57) LW Teddy Stiga
58) D Spencer Gill
59) C Simon Zether
60) C Raoul Boilard
61) C Kamil Bednarik
62) D Harrison Brunicke
63) D Colton Roberts
64) D Will Skahan

65) RW Carson Wetsch
66) D Tarin Smith
67) RW Justin Poirier
68) RW Jacob Battaglia
69) D Daniil Ustinkov
70) C Christian Humphreys
71) LW Max Plante
72) D Matvei Shuravin
73) D Leon Muggli
74) LW Hagen Burrows
75) LW Will Zellers
76) G Kim Saarinen
77) D Tomas Lavoie
78) C Kieron Walton
79) RW Kasper Pikkarainen
80) RW Sam O'Reilly
81) D John Whipple
82) C Clarke Caswell
83) D Noel Franson
84) D Tory Pitner
85) LW Ollie Josephson
86) G Ryerson Leenders
87) D Jakub Fibigr
88) D Adam Kleber
89) RW Ondrej Kos
90) LW Alex Blais
91) LW Eriks Mateiko
92) D Nilopekka Muhonen
93) D Sebastian Soini
94) C AJ Spellacy
95) C Aatos Koivu
96) G Carter George

97) G Eemil Vinni
98) D Anthony Cristoforo
99) C Nathan Villeneuve
100) C Alex Zetterberg
Beautiful top 9. Any of those guys and I’m happy.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 01:24 PM   #3160
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Letourneau screams Hunter Smith/Mark Jankowski to me.

Intriguing player with the size and the skating and the RHS
But how special is 127 points in high school AAA??

I'd be happier him being taken in the 2nd round or willing to risk him not getting to the 2nd round than use the Vancouver pick but I'm just a dummy fan.

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft